Home – New Forums Marketing mastery Controversial State of the internet Address 2012

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 73 total)
  • Author
    Shaukat Adam Khalid
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,528
    Up
    ::

Please share your thoughts on this video. It would make for some interesting discussion. Just ignore that it’s targeted to “internet marketing” because it applies to every business.

http://frankkern.com/StateOfInternet/2012/

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

You can watch it here :-)

The reason this is important for you
    to watch is because:

1. It shows you the ONLY three aspects
    of your business you should be focusing
    on.

2. It shows you the single greatest skill
    you can master in 2012 to guarantee
    long term success.

3. It shows you the number one thing
    that’s killing Internet businesses as we
    speak.

4. IT PROVES THAT THERE’S NO MONEY
    IN “INTERNET MARKETING”.

…Yes. That’s what I said.

Watch this and make 2012 your best
    year to date.

Frank

James Millar
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,738
    Up

Ok Khalid I gave it 5 mins out of respect for your post and the debate you are trying to inspire. My thoughts

The good

1. Americans love their Guru’s. This guy is better presented than our PM (not really that hard).

The not so good

2. Sweeping generalisations about technology and it’s application to business give this advice limited use. It doesn’t really contend with a business that is based on technology.

3. Innovating with technology can create new products, new markets, new opportunities and new efficiencies which can make or break a business (or industry). Hard to convince me otherwise in light of what I’ve seen in the last 18 months.

4. 2.30 to 3.15 suggesting that the average business owner perceives technology as being an antidote to hard work. Maybe in America but I don’t think Australians are quite so misguided. I especially like the inferences that we all pursue get rich quick solutions which distract us from what is most important – servicing customers. Is it a hypocrisy for him to then sell $10,000 seminars to people where perhaps they could better spend their precious working capital on their business.

Khalid can you give me snapshots on the video (time points) that you think are most practical. I don’t have the patience for 50 mins even if I’m risking forgoing untold wealth in 2012.

Helping build better businesses and better lives with expert financial and taxation advice. info@360partners.com.au www.360partners.com.au 03 9005 4900
    James Millar
    Participant
    Up

Ok Khalid I gave it 5 mins out of respect for your post and the debate you are trying to inspire. My thoughts

The good

1. Americans love their Guru’s. This guy is better presented than our PM (not really that hard).

The not so good

2. Sweeping generalisations about technology and it’s application to business give this advice limited use. It doesn’t really contend with a business that is based on technology.

3. Innovating with technology can create new products, new markets, new opportunities and new efficiencies which can make or break a business (or industry). Hard to convince me otherwise in light of what I’ve seen in the last 18 months.

4. 2.30 to 3.15 suggesting that the average business owner perceives technology as being an antidote to hard work. Maybe in America but I don’t think Australians are quite so misguided. I especially like the inferences that we all pursue get rich quick solutions which distract us from what is most important – servicing customers. Is it a hypocrisy for him to then sell $10,000 seminars to people where perhaps they could better spend their precious working capital on their business.

Khalid can you give me snapshots on the video (time points) that you think are most practical. I don’t have the patience for 50 mins even if I’m risking forgoing untold wealth in 2012.

Helping build better businesses and better lives with expert financial and taxation advice. info@360partners.com.au www.360partners.com.au 03 9005 4900
    Shaukat Adam Khalid
    Participant
    Up

lol. i feel honored :p

yeah, even i had to put aside the cheesy american antics but what can i say? the guy has a huge following here in OZ and his first major launch was with our very own aussie Ed Dale (30 day challenge guy). think it’s called info millionaire.

ok the video is 25 mins. the rest is just filler. his whole presentation is around how we focus too much on technology, then product and marketing last when it should be in the following order:

1. highly valuable products that create delighted clients.

2. Using PAID marketing techniques like PPC. There is too much emphasis on “free” this and “free” that which is keeping everyone broke.

3. technology should be last because it’s the media or delivery mechanism. comes back to why people dont make money from social media, goog adwords, seo, PR, yellow pages, etc

That’s really it. controversial because everyone jumps on the media first or in our time, technology (Facebook fans, , free seo, twitter followers, linkedin connections) think that these mediums will make us money without an effective marketing campaign and an excellent product that perceived as a “magic bullet”.

you see, technology companies fall into the same trap ( i work for an ICT – Telstra). Obsessed with technology as the vehicle/platform but fail to produce high quality products.

For example certain “blue tick” phones for country overheating nokia 6120 and easy ZTE phones), t-box, t-hub, 4G Device had connection problems, TBB (Excess usage charges at 4 cents per megabyte), having Business mob advantage plan and maximiser plan on one account resulted in charging of intra account calls which should have been free (billing system error), free modems for TBB but did not plan demand so there were delays with no feedback and reminders leading to complaints and cancellation of sales and so on. Other companies have similar issues.

Another example with telstra is that sometimes the focus is too much on marketing so they go to market with a product or service that is not ready or available.

not airing dirty laundries of teltra. these are known issues. just highlighting how getting the order “Wrong” can results in dissatisfied customers regardless of how great the product, marketing or technology is.

with ur 4th point, yes there is more demand for “how to make money” than anything else. I have to admit that i have all his courses including the $10k one and they are all great. all of them come with money back guarantees so personally, i dont see the problem with that.

cant blame him if people dont take action. psychologically, people value expensive items more and a greater percentage of people take action.

its easier to ignore a $97 product. try telling your partner that you will implement the $15k and $25k jay abraham private strategic setting course “later” (have all his stuff too).

believe it or not, the video is not about making us rich although he has a great call to action at the end of the video. It’s about taking the ‘next leve” ie getting priorities right and creating products that will delight customers.

Everything he does is systematic including camera angle, table, setting, pictures at the back, video in his car, pictures from his childhood.

keep in mind that his intended audience is the get rich quick internet “marketers”. the video is to help them come to realise that selling crap is no longer acceptable.

JamesMillar, post: 102251 wrote:

The good

The not so good

Shaukat Adam Khalid
    Participant
    Up

lol. i feel honored :p

yeah, even i had to put aside the cheesy american antics but what can i say? the guy has a huge following here in OZ and his first major launch was with our very own aussie Ed Dale (30 day challenge guy). think it’s called info millionaire.

ok the video is 25 mins. the rest is just filler. his whole presentation is around how we focus too much on technology, then product and marketing last when it should be in the following order:

1. highly valuable products that create delighted clients.

2. Using PAID marketing techniques like PPC. There is too much emphasis on “free” this and “free” that which is keeping everyone broke.

3. technology should be last because it’s the media or delivery mechanism. comes back to why people dont make money from social media, goog adwords, seo, PR, yellow pages, etc

That’s really it. controversial because everyone jumps on the media first or in our time, technology (Facebook fans, , free seo, twitter followers, linkedin connections) think that these mediums will make us money without an effective marketing campaign and an excellent product that perceived as a “magic bullet”.

you see, technology companies fall into the same trap ( i work for an ICT – Telstra). Obsessed with technology as the vehicle/platform but fail to produce high quality products.

For example certain “blue tick” phones for country overheating nokia 6120 and easy ZTE phones), t-box, t-hub, 4G Device had connection problems, TBB (Excess usage charges at 4 cents per megabyte), having Business mob advantage plan and maximiser plan on one account resulted in charging of intra account calls which should have been free (billing system error), free modems for TBB but did not plan demand so there were delays with no feedback and reminders leading to complaints and cancellation of sales and so on. Other companies have similar issues.

Another example with telstra is that sometimes the focus is too much on marketing so they go to market with a product or service that is not ready or available.

not airing dirty laundries of teltra. these are known issues. just highlighting how getting the order “Wrong” can results in dissatisfied customers regardless of how great the product, marketing or technology is.

with ur 4th point, yes there is more demand for “how to make money” than anything else. I have to admit that i have all his courses including the $10k one and they are all great. all of them come with money back guarantees so personally, i dont see the problem with that.

cant blame him if people dont take action. psychologically, people value expensive items more and a greater percentage of people take action.

its easier to ignore a $97 product. try telling your partner that you will implement the $15k and $25k jay abraham private strategic setting course “later” (have all his stuff too).

believe it or not, the video is not about making us rich although he has a great call to action at the end of the video. It’s about taking the ‘next leve” ie getting priorities right and creating products that will delight customers.

Everything he does is systematic including camera angle, table, setting, pictures at the back, video in his car, pictures from his childhood.

keep in mind that his intended audience is the get rich quick internet “marketers”. the video is to help them come to realise that selling crap is no longer acceptable.

The good

The not so good

JohnTranter
    • Total posts: 842
    Up

Watching that, I could feel every software developer/engineer in the world screaming “I KNOW, I’ve been saying this for years”
    Get a good product and THEN go to market :)

Actually quite a nice video to watch, I was initially put off by the large image of him on the left of the video but he comes across as an decent bloke and not the typical American ‘Guru’.

JohnTranter
    Up

Watching that, I could feel every software developer/engineer in the world screaming “I KNOW, I’ve been saying this for years”
    Get a good product and THEN go to market :)

Actually quite a nice video to watch, I was initially put off by the large image of him on the left of the video but he comes across as an decent bloke and not the typical American ‘Guru’.

JohnTranter
    Up

I think using technology to create new products or streamline customers’ businesses is really under the ‘magic bullet product’ umbrella. He’s talking about technology strictly in marketing channel terms.

I spent an instructional evening looking through Flippa.com and clickbank.com. I think he’s not far off when he says things like this.

JohnTranter
    Up

I think using technology to create new products or streamline customers’ businesses is really under the ‘magic bullet product’ umbrella. He’s talking about technology strictly in marketing channel terms.

I spent an instructional evening looking through Flippa.com and clickbank.com. I think he’s not far off when he says things like this.

Phillip P
    • Total posts: 254
    Up

He is the typical american guru and he is transforming again into a more Don Johnson look and moving away from the surfer boy skateboard riding rags to riches story that he created during the stopernet launch. Its all a massive act he told people that he was doing this at the launch events.

Its all in the process and how he runs things… generally the 2012 state address was all fluff and nothing knew if you know his stuff well… Besides him wearing a suit will taking his new merc 4×4 up the mountain range to give you the view… I own everything he has put out as i sometimes find some gold nuggets that turn into good money for myself and of course clients. These nuggets more than pay for the cost of the items but i must admit it would be awesome if i was just starting out.

He still obviously has technology problems as his infusionsoft to gotowebinar form was failing for a few hours last night :) I would not be suprised if it was infusionsoft as i use this too.

At the end of the day he has a massive tribe and many other “guru” markets in Australia will copy his stuff re badge it and throw it back into the market as a webinar.

I know this because already from his launch im seeing the exactly the same SUBJECT LINES that he is using few days later from others :)

I also own the jay course but i use it more like reference than a course :)

Phillip P
    • Total posts: 254
    Up

He is the typical american guru and he is transforming again into a more Don Johnson look and moving away from the surfer boy skateboard riding rags to riches story that he created during the stopernet launch. Its all a massive act he told people that he was doing this at the launch events.

Its all in the process and how he runs things… generally the 2012 state address was all fluff and nothing knew if you know his stuff well… Besides him wearing a suit will taking his new merc 4×4 up the mountain range to give you the view… I own everything he has put out as i sometimes find some gold nuggets that turn into good money for myself and of course clients. These nuggets more than pay for the cost of the items but i must admit it would be awesome if i was just starting out.

He still obviously has technology problems as his infusionsoft to gotowebinar form was failing for a few hours last night :) I would not be suprised if it was infusionsoft as i use this too.

At the end of the day he has a massive tribe and many other “guru” markets in Australia will copy his stuff re badge it and throw it back into the market as a webinar.

I know this because already from his launch im seeing the exactly the same SUBJECT LINES that he is using few days later from others :)

I also own the jay course but i use it more like reference than a course :)

James Millar
    Participant
    Up

Digressing to Guru Seminars. I’d rather see a client / business spend $10k to $15k on their own implementation efforts (the good, bad and ugly) than on attending a course to listen to the gospel of one of these guys.

If you have that sort of money to spend on PD then my advice is to try and do an executive program (or the like) at somewhere like Harvard. It will open far more doors in the corporate / business world (including developing consulting work, raising capital, strategy skills and networks etc).

James Millar
    Participant
    Up

Digressing to Guru Seminars. I’d rather see a client / business spend $10k to $15k on their own implementation efforts (the good, bad and ugly) than on attending a course to listen to the gospel of one of these guys.

If you have that sort of money to spend on PD then my advice is to try and do an executive program (or the like) at somewhere like Harvard. It will open far more doors in the corporate / business world (including developing consulting work, raising capital, strategy skills and networks etc).

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up
    Khalid Adam, post: 102257 wrote:
    ( i work for an ICT – Telstra).

For example certain “blue tick” phones for country overheating nokia 6120 and easy ZTE phones)

sorry to be nit picky here but which ZTE phones, my wife has a Telstra Discovery 1 (ZTE T7) and nearly had a fit when she thought she lost it…… it has worked every where we have needed it to, including some places other blue tick phones didnt, battery life was exceptional, call quality was great ring tones and message tones nice and loud, (how long has it been since the T7 was released? cos we have had it since) me on the other hand have been through (less than 12 months) Samsung flip-phone (not sure of the model but had similar qualities to the T7, but battery was crap, so was the service area range), A HTC Wildfire (only things I miss from it is 1) the camera (5 mp) 2)internet searching), Battery was great provided you didnt use the camera or internet, message tones were to quiet (never heard it going off) and service area range was crap, Im now on a Telstra Discovery 2 (ZTE T2) because I couldnt find a T7 …..

rant over sorry

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up
    Khalid Adam, post: 102257 wrote:
    ( i work for an ICT – Telstra).

For example certain “blue tick” phones for country overheating nokia 6120 and easy ZTE phones)

sorry to be nit picky here but which ZTE phones, my wife has a Telstra Discovery 1 (ZTE T7) and nearly had a fit when she thought she lost it…… it has worked every where we have needed it to, including some places other blue tick phones didnt, battery life was exceptional, call quality was great ring tones and message tones nice and loud, (how long has it been since the T7 was released? cos we have had it since) me on the other hand have been through (less than 12 months) Samsung flip-phone (not sure of the model but had similar qualities to the T7, but battery was crap, so was the service area range), A HTC Wildfire (only things I miss from it is 1) the camera (5 mp) 2)internet searching), Battery was great provided you didnt use the camera or internet, message tones were to quiet (never heard it going off) and service area range was crap, Im now on a Telstra Discovery 2 (ZTE T2) because I couldnt find a T7 …..

rant over sorry

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 73 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.