Home – New Forums Marketing mastery Conversion rate lower than a year or two ago

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Stockings99
    • Total posts: 31
    Up
    ::

A question for other online retailers, do you experience lower conversion rates compared to a year or two ago? Any advice to improve conversion (sale) rate on my site would be much appreciated: http://www.spottydotbabyshoes.com.au/

Divert To Mobile
    • Total posts: 2,751
    Up

Hi Marius,

Your site looks alright, easy to navigate and I like the sizing information so I think its quite functional.

You say lower conversion rate but can you confirm your still attracting similar numbers of visits but achieving less sales?

In the past I was only looking at visitor numbers through an antiquated statistics utility. Thanks to the members of this forum I was introduced to google analytics which really opened my eyes to the potential of monitoring the flow of visitors through the site.
    If your not already GA don’t waste another minute scratching your head wondering what your site visitors are doing. Get the facts.

Im usually not pro fb but I think in your case it might be a decent avenue for promotion.

Steve

Stuart B
    • Total posts: 1,070
    Up

Totally agree with the above post. If you’re getting proportionally lower visitors then it might be due to some other factor than your website not converting as well as it used to.

If it is a conversion issue then it might be that your competitors have ramped up their game in the last few years and are gaining ground on you… One big thing that increases conversions is web video, and in your case it could be used to sell individual products.

When I say web video increases conversions, it can make a MASSIVE difference. The statistics on how effective web video are unbelievable i.e.“Visitors who view product videos are 85% more likely to buy than visitors who do not.”

It’s pretty compelling stuff.

SavvySME
    • Total posts: 201
    Up

Also want to ask you how your social profile is going? Now days over 70% of people do research online before they buy so if you don’t have a lot of activity but another retailer is getting lots of raves, it could be why you are losing out on some customers.

Are you active? Are your customers active?

RedPlanet
    • Total posts: 11
    Up

Another quick tip is to use Google Alert to track what people say about your business.

Along with a FB Page, you can also set up Facebook Store, and have this integrate with your other store if the shopping cart technology is the right one.

We have done some shopping cart stores which I talk about here:
    http://www.redplanetdesign.com.au/online-launches/
    It is really up to the shop owner to be out there, talking to possible customers.

Mrs Fox
    • Total posts: 81
    Up

I notice your store doesn’t have a customer log-in feature. I personally prefer buying from stores that give me a user account so I can track the status of my purchase and verify my transaction.

zhenjie
    • Total posts: 78
    Up

If conversions rates have declined what better motivation to refresh the site!

The site itself is ok but does feel like it isn’t polished or contemporary enough in its design and layout. Online shoppers these days are increasingly viewing more comparison and competitor websites then a few years ago, so you might be seeing users leaving your site and spending time/money somewhere else.

You need to capture and engage your visitors to your site. Video promotion as mentioned before would be a fantastic benefit to your store. Gives it a personal and interactive touch that would suit your product range and demographic very well imo.

Look at getting a designer to polish up your site. It looks a bit basic to me, very early 2000’s oscommerce style and not very modern in some areas.

zhenjie
    Up
    RedPlanet, post: 130836 wrote:
    Along with a FB Page, you can also set up Facebook Store, and have this integrate with your other store if the shopping cart technology is the right one.

Can’t say I’m a fan of Facebok stores. Plenty of examples where the return has been very low vs the effort and cost involved. I think people just dont want to buy via Facebook. Some big USA brands pulled their FB stores due to low uptake. Probably even less uptake for a smaller business like this.

Mortgages In Focus
    • Total posts: 35
    Up
    zhenjie, post: 130963 wrote:
    If conversions rates have declined what better motivation to refresh the site!

The site itself is ok but does feel like it isn’t polished or contemporary enough in its design and layout. Online shoppers these days are increasingly viewing more comparison and competitor websites then a few years ago, so you might be seeing users leaving your site and spending time/money somewhere else.

You need to capture and engage your visitors to your site. Video promotion as mentioned before would be a fantastic benefit to your store. Gives it a personal and interactive touch that would suit your product range and demographic very well imo.

Look at getting a designer to polish up your site. It looks a bit basic to me, very early 2000’s oscommerce style and not very modern in some areas.

I am not sure this matters. Customers will buy from you if you have what they want at the right price and of course it is easy to navigate.

Some years ago I had a retail business with a really crappy dated website. Every time I went to re-design it a customer would come in and say they had been to my site and they thought it was terrific. Lets face it design is more about usability than anything.

I would really recommend you keep the content fresh. Put new items/information on your site.

zhenjie
    Up
    Mortgages In Focus, post: 130966 wrote:
    I am not sure this matters. Customers will buy from you if you have what they want at the right price and of course it is easy to navigate.

Some years ago I had a retail business with a really crappy dated website. Every time I went to re-design it a customer would come in and say they had been to my site and they thought it was terrific. Lets face it design is more about usability than anything.

I would really recommend you keep the content fresh. Put new items/information on your site.

I think the content is good already, hence if we’re looking at increasing conversions the next thing it comes down to is usability and feel of the site. Certainly not the be-all-end-all but an important piece of the puzzle. Design is not just usability its marketing. Marketing leads to sales. When it comes to optimising for conversions the big companies will spend big bucks and time just to find the right colour of a button.

NickHumphries
    • Total posts: 418
    Up
    LemonChip, post: 130093 wrote:
    Totally agree with the above post. If you’re getting proportionally lower visitors then it might be due to some other factor than your website not converting as well as it used to.

If it is a conversion issue then it might be that your competitors have ramped up their game in the last few years and are gaining ground on you… One big thing that increases conversions is web video, and in your case it could be used to sell individual products.

When I say web video increases conversions, it can make a MASSIVE difference. The statistics on how effective web video are unbelievable i.e.“Visitors who view product videos are 85% more likely to buy than visitors who do not.”

It’s pretty compelling stuff.

Web Video does make a massive difference!
    This video here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGNDEQcHS_Y

It doubled our conversions

Attention spans are dropping and they don’t want to read long pages of text anymore.

Nick

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.