Home – New Forums Tech talk Convert Excel to web form?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Stuart B
    • Total posts: 1,070
    Up
    ::

Does anyone know if there’s a tool that allows you to convert an excel spreadsheet with formulas etc, into a web form that people can interact with on a website?

Preferably free if possible hehe :)

Tiggerito
    • Total posts: 362
    Up

Sounds like your talking about Google docs

https://docs.google.com/

Stuart B
    Up

Nah i mean I want to take a excel spreadsheet, and have it so that it’s a website page, not an excel spreadsheet that’s hosted online.

Tiggerito
    • Total posts: 362
    Up

What sort of interaction are you talking about?

Do you want the formulas to dynamically update.

Syron
    • Total posts: 35
    Up

you can convert excel into a single webpage through excel…

Are you using Excel after 2007?

The options are in the top left and save as other… Look for like single web page, and done…

If you get stuck let me know.

What are you trying to do anyway? Are you looking for formulas or something like that?

Talk soon,

Stuart B
    Up

Yeah I’ve got a spreadsheet that i’d really like to publish as a web page but don’t want to have to re-work everything just so it works online.

Stuart B
    Up
    Syron, post: 98093 wrote:
    The options are in the top left and save as other… Look for like single web page, and done…

If you get stuck let me know.

What are you trying to do anyway? Are you looking for formulas or something like that?

Hey yeah I tried that and the webpage comes out fine which is cool, but yeah I have some formulas where I want someone to enter a value, and it can still respond like a normal spreadsheet. Is that possible?

Syron
    • Total posts: 35
    Up

I know with Joomla, you can upload Excel spreadsheets and they can function like that on the site and can be saved and things like that but you might have to convert to either HTML5 or PHP, I mean it isn’t hard but it’ll depend on how many calculations you want to do.

For example: http://www.syron.com.au/webadvertising.html#Calculator

How many calculations have you got to do? Is it like a finance calculation or something like that?

JohnTranter
    • Total posts: 842
    Up

I don’t think excel will export the formulas, just the format of the spreadsheet.
    If you convert the excel spreadsheet to html, the html will also be a bit messy which will make futures updates more complicated than they need to be.

The right way to do it is to create an html table (gasp) and use javascript to update it. Personally I use JQuery to make it simple

The easiest way, I guess, would be to simply create a link to the excel spreadsheet itself, which I’ve seen on a few websites.

I’d offer to help but I saw the dreaded ‘free’ word ;)
    However, having literally just done something like this, I can send some example code if you want to figure it out yourself and have access to raw html files in whatever package you’re using.

Stuart B
    Up

Haha yeah it’s just a very simple project I’m doing for a friend of mine. Looking for a quick easy fix.

It’s all good though I found a plugin you can buy for like $30 and it converts it right out of excel.

JohnTranter
    • Total posts: 842
    Up

$30? I’d have done it for $29. (joke)

No worries, glad you found a solution.

InsightFocus.com.au
    • Total posts: 2
    Up

Hi There,

Can you post on here the name of the Excel file converter to html that you purchased as it will be interesting to do some research on it for some work that I do for clients. In the past I have not been able to find any converter that converts Excel financial models that are complex in nature to web pages without full blown web development inclussive of dB work in the back end or going down the other path and buying web based budgeting applications.

Cheers and thank you in advance.

Arthur

Divert To Mobile
    • Total posts: 2,751
    Up
    InsightFocus.com.au, post: 175145 wrote:
    Hi There,

Can you post on here the name of the Excel file converter to html that you purchased as it will be interesting to do some research on it for some work that I do for clients. In the past I have not been able to find any converter that converts Excel financial models that are complex in nature to web pages without full blown web development inclussive of dB work in the back end or going down the other path and buying web based budgeting applications.

Cheers and thank you in advance.

Arthur
    I dont know if this is what he used. but this might do the trick.

http://www.spreadsheetconverter.com/

Steve

InsightFocus.com.au
    • Total posts: 2
    Up

Thank you Steve for your answer. I will look into it.

Kind regards,

Arthur

james.angst
    • Total posts: 1
    Up

If you don’t have a google account, create one.
    Upload the Excel file to google docs.
    Convert it to a Google Sheets format.
    Protect the sheet and add exceptions for cells you want to allow people to change.
    From there you can share sheet or embed it into a web page

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.