Home – New Forums Tech talk Converting website hits into customers

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Earthmover
    • Total posts: 33
    Up
    ::

Hi all,

As mentioned briefly in another post I just made about my advertising, I’m not sure why hits to my website are not resulting in any work or even any enquiries.

I am listed on a few online directories (some free, some paid) and according to Google analytics I get about 45 new hits on my website each day. This to me seemed pretty good but I cannot work out why I’ve never had a call or email from my website.

I was hoping I could get a few experts or fellow business owners on here to have a look through my website and see if they can offer any advice?

The only conclusions I have drawn is that my content is just not appealing or engaging, but I really don’t know what improvements I need to make.

thanks all!

MyGreatIdea
    • Total posts: 2,278
    Up

As a customer, I’m wondering how many of those visitors have come to your site having searched property maintenance or handyman service, to see the excavation logo and words, then left, not noticing that you do actually provide those other services.

What is your bounce rate?

Wendy :)

Earthmover
    Up
    Couple It, post: 125765 wrote:
    As a customer, I’m wondering how many of those visitors have come to your site having searched property maintenance or handyman service, to see the excavation logo and words, then left, not noticing that you do actually provide those other services.

What is your bounce rate?

i have had that feedback before from a family member.
    I’m actually trying to wind down the handyman side of the business for a few reasons, but mostly because a day spend working as a handyman is a day lost working with the machery (which needs to pay for itself)

So i was thinking of just making the site for the earthmoving.

Bounce rate is 40%, but to be honest i’m not sure what that means!

MyGreatIdea
    Up
    eStrategyPro.com, post: 0 wrote:
    I don’t know which type of business you’re operating

Since the OP has asked for help on his own website (and he doesn’t have a blog) perhaps you could take a quick look at his site and offer some specific suggestions for him?

Earthmover
    Up
    eStrategyPro.com, post: 0 wrote:
    I don’t know which type of business you’re operating, but I can tell you that’s normal.

The problem with generic mass traffic from the Internet is that you need a massive number of visits to translate to a few enquries/purchase. The vast majority of visitors are passive consumers of information.

This problem is particularly acute with business models that uses blogs to earn revenue. As I wrote in Dreaming of becoming a professional blogger? Snap out of it!,

If you’re in the business of producing free content, you will need massive quantity of traffic. That’s the unfortunate reality.

Thanks Terrance, not in the business of producing free content. I work in a trade service. Have a look at my website that i posted in my signiture, it will give you an idea of the business..

What would you consider an average conversion rate?

MyGreatIdea
    Up
    GWMaintenance, post: 125767 wrote:
    I’m actually trying to wind down the handyman side of the business…
    So i was thinking of just making the site for the earthmoving.

That sounds like a good plan

Bounce rate is 40%, but to be honest i’m not sure what that means!

Lol well this is something I have only recently learned myself :D It’s the percentage of people who leave your site on that page. So a bounce rate of 40% on your home page means only 60% of visitors look further, which would be 27 per day.

Earthmover
    Up
    Couple It, post: 125771 wrote:
    Lol well this is something I have only recently learned myself :D It’s the percentage of people who leave your site on that page. So a bounce rate of 40% on your home page means only 60% of visitors look further, which would be 27 per day.

Awesome, thats actaully very handy to know! thanks for that.
    seems like an excellent way to check results of experimenting with more engaging content on the home page. Which i have changed no less than 6 times in the last 2 weeks

Past-Member
    • Total posts: 1,815
    Up

Hi – a couple of things that may help …

1. In the first sentence include ‘in the Melbourne suburbs of Victoria’ (or wherever it is)

2. Your ‘call to action’ contact us should have the phone and email repeated or link to a contact page

Make it easy for people to know if you are in their area and to contact you. You can link to the page that gives all the suburbs, but state the general area at least on the home page.

As you move down the page you don’t see the contact details – hence you need to add something with the text.

Hope this helps. Cheers.

Earthmover
    Up
    KarenC, post: 125775 wrote:
    Hi – a couple of things that may help …

1. In the first sentence include ‘in the Melbourne suburbs of Victoria’ (or wherever it is)

2. Your ‘call to action’ contact us should have the phone and email repeated or link to a contact page

Hope this helps. Cheers.

Thanks Karen, i have made those changes :)

Earthmover
    Up

Turns out i was reading my reporting wrong and i actaully only get an average of 0.2 people visit my website day on average. , so clearly i need to work on getting my name out there!

Shane Walker
    • Total posts: 129
    Up

Hi GWMaintenance! It’s Shane Walker here.

In regards to your website, I’m not really sure what you mean by you get 45 new hits each day. Are they actually visitors or hits? This is because hits can be just measured as search engines crawling to your site. But if they are 45 new visitors each day, what you need to do first is to have a look through analytics, specifically on the keywords that are sending those visits to your site. In this way, you might find that they are not buying keywords or they could just be people in research mode, or just generic links.

Your website seems reasonably well set-up. You’ve got your call to action which is your phone number that is pretty bold on the top right hand of the web page, and that’s what you want as a direct response website. But you really need to track down first how those visitors are getting to your site, and that would give you an insight to determine whether they are in a buying mode or just a browsing mode.
    Hope this helps.

Regards,

Earthmover
    Up
    Shane Walker, post: 126102 wrote:
    Hi GWMaintenance! It’s Shane Walker here.

In regards to your website, I’m not really sure what you mean by you get 45 new hits each day. Are they actually visitors or hits? This is because hits can be just measured as search engines crawling to your site. But if they are 45 new visitors each day, what you need to do first is to have a look through analytics, specifically on the keywords that are sending those visits to your site. In this way, you might find that they are not buying keywords or they could just be people in research mode, or just generic links.

Your website seems reasonably well set-up. You’ve got your call to action which is your phone number that is pretty bold on the top right hand of the web page, and that’s what you want as a direct response website. But you really need to track down first how those visitors are getting to your site, and that would give you an insight to determine whether they are in a buying mode or just a browsing mode.
    Hope this helps.

Regards,

Thanks Shane, the 45 hits was me not reading analyticts reports properly. It’s actually more like 4 hits. Which probably explains the 2 marketing calls I get each day.

Analyticts tells me that most traffic is direct URL or organic.

NickMorris
    Participant
    • Total posts: 283
    Up

Another thing you could do – perhaps when you get your traffic up – is to install http://www.4qsurvey.com/ on your website. This is a survey that asks people 4 questions about their visit to your website and can give you some great insights to why they visited you and whether the visit was successful.

There is a free for life option if you look closely (I think there’s a small link in the bottom right from memory.)

Mrs Fox
    • Total posts: 81
    Up

I notice that your site doesn’t have an online contact form.
    I suggest that you add this functionality because some visitors may not feel comfortable using desktop email and others may not be using it at all.

My Wedding Concierge
    • Total posts: 109
    Up

Hey there. Even though you’ve got a problem in that you’re not getting the customers, the issue you’ve got is very easy to solve!

If you’re getting traffic coming to your site, but no enquiries, then the problem is that the content on the site isn’t compelling enough to get them to pick up the phone and make an enquiry. As you can see this fact is reflected in the high bounce rate you’re experiencing.

This could be due to the design, presentation, or the actual written words and images you’re showing.

From a design perspective I think your site looks nice enough, but at the same time it isn’t exciting or compelling to me. The home page should have some kind of a strong call to action that makes people reach for their phone straight away.

My initial impression is that your site feels like more of a brochure site that just tells people about what you do, rather than being strongly geared towards capturing leads.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.