Home – New Forums Tech talk Converting Word/Excel doc to PDF with workable checkboxes. Can it be done?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    The Copy Chick
    • Total posts: 963
    Up
    ::

I’m reviewing my quoting form and currently include an Authorisation page where clients can select which quote options they want to go ahead with.

The quote form is created in Word and I used an embedded Excel spreadsheet to calculate the base cost, any discounts/additions, GST, subtotals, and the deposit required for each option. At the moment, clients need to print this off, tick the options they want and manually calculate the deposit based on the number of options they choose.

I’ve reworked the spreadsheet so it includes checkboxes that automatically tally the individual deposit amounts into a final deposit figure, but if I save the document to PDF, the checkboxes no longer work.

I’ve created other documents with live links when saved to PDF (such as clickable table of contents), so is there anyway to create the sort of spreadsheet I’ve described in a PDF and also keep it live?

Of course, I can just send the Word document, but I think PDFs look more professional and have the advantage that formatting and content can’t be edited.

Cheers :)

Brent@Ontrax
    • Total posts: 336
    Up

Unfortunately Not, you will have to use PDF form wizard from Acrobat or other PDF Form Creators to make the fields.

Brent

Caliper
    • Total posts: 2
    Up

Not sure if it would work for you, but have you thought of an online form that they can fill in and it will calculate on the spot. The quote pdf can also be emailed to them on form submission.

E.g. http://www.formsite.com

Charles

The Copy Chick
    Up
    Brent@Ontrax, post: 178857 wrote:
    Unfortunately Not, you will have to use PDF form wizard from Acrobat or other PDF Form Creators to make the fields.

I suspected as much – but live in hope, right? ;)

Do you know if these sorts of form creators will allow for the sorts of calculations I’m talking about, or are they only good for checkboxes and adding text into content boxes?

Caliper, post: 178866 wrote:
    Not sure if it would work for you, but have you thought of an online form that they can fill in and it will calculate on the spot. The quote pdf can also be emailed to them on form submission.

E.g. http://www.formsite.com

Thanks Charles – I’ll take a look and see if it suits my needs.

Brent@Ontrax
    • Total posts: 336
    Up
    The Copy Chick, post: 178919 wrote:
    I suspected as much – but live in hope, right? ;)

Do you know if these sorts of form creators will allow for the sorts of calculations I’m talking about, or are they only good for checkboxes and adding text into content boxes?

Honestly I didn’t think you could but I just found this on the Adobe website from 2010 and now I’m going to re-thing a quick solution I did for a friend of mine a coupe of years ago…

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/580691

Here’s the Google search I used as there’s heaps of other useful pages…
    https://www.google.com.au/search?q=calculations+in+PDF+file&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&channel=fflb&gfe_rd=ctrl&ei=69aaUq_OBsON8Qf-04HgCg&gws_rd=cr

Brent

The Copy Chick
    Up

You’re a legend Brent! Thank you!! :) Will have to investigate this on my Christmas break.

Tony Manto
    Participant
    • Total posts: 581
    Up

Hi Anna, I always find YouTube a great source of videos on how to.

I found this one for you.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hfbraWJzD0k

Hope it helps.

Actually I need to also do this, so thank you for forcing me to look.

FormsDesign
    • Total posts: 19
    Up

Hey Anna. Sure, you can perform calculations across selective fields within PDF structure.

If you need help with your form contact me & we’ll design it for you and make it interactive. We can embed calculations scripts and make it run like swiss clockwork ;)

having forms in a word format is just a big no-no procedure

p.s. check my signature for contact

Gregory

The Copy Chick
    Up

Hi Gregory,

Totally agree that forms shouldn’t be sent in Word, but my proposal document is about 8 pages long and needs to also be customisable for each job. The Authorisation page is just a small part of the overall document.

If you were to create a form as I’ve outlined above, would it still be editable as a Word doc using with the fill-in fields I’ve created to populate the information throughout the document, or would it be a static form with only the calculable areas easily able to be changed?

The other consideration I have is that I’d like to start regularly sending proposals through EchoSign, which allows clients to digitally sign and return their authorisation (and acknowledge they’ve read each page), so they don’t have to physically print off the form. This also includes specific coding.

Happy to send you a copy of the proposal doc for you to look at if that helps.

Cheers – Anna :)

FormsDesign
    Up

Hey Anna.

Doesn’t matter if your document spans 8 pages. We can always redesign it to span across less pages if that’s desirable. Besides in the finance industry (CBA,Westpac) I was creating forms that span more than 20 pages on a daily bases so 8 is not a lot of pages really. The goal should always be the least number of pages as you don’t want form fillers to fall asleep and this is where clever layout of the form comes in.

Yes every pdf form can be customizable for every job.

If you were to create a form as I’ve outlined above, would it still be editable as a Word doc using with the fill-in fields I’ve created to populate the information throughout the document, or would it be a static form with only the calculable areas easily able to be changed?

No. If we were to create editable,fillable PDF with calculation scripts than it wouldn’t be editable Word doc. It would be PDF ‘dynamic’ document with the fill-in fields we’ve created to populate and calcuate the information throughout the document. What’s your obsession of going back to the word? :)
    the point is to go to a professional format i.e. > PDF.

The other consideration I have is that I’d like to start regularly sending proposals through EchoSign, which allows clients to digitally sign and return their authorisation (and acknowledge they’ve read each page), so they don’t have to physically print off the form. This also includes specific coding.

To avoid physically printing off the form you don’t need to ‘buy’ EchoSign.
    Digital signing is available without Echo Sign feature.

Echo sign is just a fancy feature that allows you to view, fill & sign your PDF straight on your website. (It is quite clunky filling out the form off the website)
    Precondition for using EchoSign is off course that you have to have a fillable,signable PDF for to start with which doesn’t need to be printed, like, ever.

Shoot through the form @ email below and I’ll have a peek at it & advise you further

Gregory

The Copy Chick
    Up

Thanks Gregory – I might just flick you the proposal form so you can see what my ‘obsession’ with Word is ;)

It may be that I need to keep the actual proposal document in Word so I can modify the scope of work, and other details which need to be tailored to the client, and perhaps keep the Authorisation as a separate form (at the moment, the fields populate much of the information to reduce the time I need to spend duplicating it).

FormsDesign
    Up

Hey Anna.

More than happy to show/prove it to you that you don’t need to be dependent on Word for custom/variable sections of your document.

For everyone reading this that might have similar doubts/questions please note that PDF format offers vast range of customization/script options that Word simply cannot match. Your forms should always be in a Portable Document Format. Period. :)

p.s. you got mail

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.