Home – New Forums Get productive Coping Strategies When Feeling ‘Under the Weather’

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Rachel Reeves
    • Total posts: 148
    Up
    ::

I have been feeling a little ‘under the weather’ through the last week or so. I think I know the reasons and feel that it will be a short-term thing but I guess we can never be 100% sure of this. By ‘under the weather’ I’m not meaning confined to the bed type of ill, but unwell enough to reduce productivity enough that it effects the business output.

I have found some extremely good articles written here at Flying Solo about unwellness which I have read and absorbed. I suppose I am looking for some management strategies, besides going to the doctor, which will help us as business owner’s to maintain productivity in the areas that count when feeling ‘under the weather’. For me the number one area which I would be looking to maintain would be to keep my client’s happy. Just recently I have come up with some really good ideas for my business, these ideas have gone on the backburner as I hit ‘survival mode’ for the moment, however these are the ideas that will most likely make the more money in my business in the longer-term.

I’m sure there are plenty of other business owner’s who have felt this way from time to time and I thought it would be a good topic to discuss and that we might possibly pinpoint some good coping strategies to implement during such times. Your suggestion might even be that falling into ‘survival mode’ during these times is the best and the only way?

MissieK
    • Total posts: 234
    Up

I cut down and do the basics, and outsource as much as I can. If it’s a temporary thing, such as a cold, then I know it’ll last only a few days and I give myself permission to rest.

I’m currently restructuring what I do so things are more automated and less dependent on me doing everything, so that when I’m under the weather, things get done :)

Melissa

sam_leader
    • Total posts: 660
    Up

Poor Rachel!

I know you know this, but survival mode and going easy on yourself is the best way forward. Focus on getting well as that is in the best interest of your client.

I reiterate this as I detect a hint of frustration and maybe even guilt at being unwell. Not allowed! Read my article today about anything you need to let go of and.. er.. let it go.

Get well soon and be extra kind to yourself.

Sam

Burgo
    Participant
    • Total posts: 2,104
    Up

Most of us feel down from time to time and with over fifty years under my belt in the workforce I used to feel depressed fatigued unwell just could get the juices going, especially when it was a personal issue that was hard to shake.

I have to admit Ive had my share, but everytime I felt off, instead of having time off I literally through myself into my work, I didnt have time then to think and because I enjoy my work so much I soon found myself back to my ‘normal’ self.

Its about getting the attitude back, you know that ‘lean sleek mean machine’

Lisa Murray – Biz Coach
    • Total posts: 112
    Up

Hi Rachel
    I think when you are a high achiever, it is very easy to be hard on yourself when all of a sudden you don’t have your usual energy.

Besides the practical approaches of cutting back, doing the essentials etc that others have suggested, I always try and do something that is ‘good to me’ – sometimes this is enough to shine a little light on the horizon and always results in my spirits picking up, even if my body is not quite so able!

Being good to me means relaxing things like patting the dog for a bit longer (instead of worrying or working), sitting in the sun for a few minutes (all that vitamin D is a great pick-me-up), having a long warm bath with candles or talking to a friend – sometimes those simple things can make a huge difference!

I also like to focus on my breathing – this seems to be calming and allows me to let go a little more…

take care of yourself – hope you’re feeling better soon.
    cheers
    Lisa

Burgo
    Participant
    Up

Wow this post has given me a warm fuzzy feeling, gee you ladies are nice.

Friendships that have started with this fabulous forum.

Rachel Reeves
    Up

Awe thank you, some really good suggestions here and thank you very much for the support.

Even though I have some pretty urgent stuff to get through this week I did take a break yesterday arvo and evening and I feel so much better for it today and feel that I can take on that urgent stuff no worries now. I also managed to take the advice you offered in your article yesterday Sam, it came at the perfect time I must say! I have been trying to hang on and trying to keep control of a couple of things that were (‘er) out of my control I guess you could say. I have let go and all I can say is ‘oooooooooh was that exactly what I needed!’. It has been a tough year so far, but there has also been so many rewarding moments to speak of and I am learning a lot!

Yesterday evening my hubbie and I were discussing my taking up a sport of some kind to keep me healthy, as a kind of release and to give me some time away from the day to day. I used to be involved in sport in Adelaide but haven’t taken anything up since we moved up to Brisbane and didn’t realise just how much I was missing it!

Thanks again.

Burgo
    Participant
    Up

Yes Sam, good article and makes a lot of sence, thanks

linkartist
    • Total posts: 89
    Up

haha this has good timing… I am currently reading the OP 2 weeks after having a premature baby! And I am not taking leave (can’t afford to!), so yes, I feel unwell (recovering from surgery) and really tired…

I actually find that I procrastinate LESS when I am feeling under the weather, and manage to limit tasks to those that are the most pressing for that day. I don’t know what it is about being ‘under the weather’, but I do tend to actually work better — or at least be more motivated to get off the computer as quickly as possible — which means I spend less time stuffing about with the busy-work, Facebook, RSS feeds etc… and tend to focus on what I really need to get done.

I guess in many ways I am kinder to myself when it comes to my limits — whereas when I am well, I tend to overdo it or waste time. Not sure why that is… but… we soldier on nonetheless :)

Oh and I always make sure I drink enough water — makes all the difference :)

Heidi Price
    • Total posts: 218
    Up

Hey Téa – Congratulations!!!

Its rather off topic, but………

Boy or girl?

Heidi

Burgo
    Participant
    Up

Congratulations Tea, boy or girl.

It amazes me how you young ladies have your baby and then straight back into work.
    My wife was in Hospital for 10 days when my son was born. That was the norm. My daughter in law gave birth last July virtually out of Hospital the next day.

However back to the subject it is true that you often do your most productive work when you are not feeling well, and being soloists we tend to keep working instead of taking a sicky, and we also get over what is ailing us much quicker than those who have time off.

I used to think it a guilt complex or something but I havent had a sicky in over twenty three years, like everyone I have off days, but try not to admit it
    After 38 years of marriage sympathy is something thats not freely given around here.

linkartist
    • Total posts: 89
    Up

Thanks, sorry to hijack :) Its a boy, he spent 11 days in the ICU. Its my 3rd kid so I a used to being tired. “Under the Weather” is a constant state for me :)

Continue on with the topic ;)

Rachel Reeves
    Up
    linkartist, post: 4063 wrote:
    Thanks, sorry to hijack :) Its a boy, he spent 11 days in the ICU. Its my 3rd kid so I a used to being tired. “Under the Weather” is a constant state for me :)

Continue on with the topic ;)

You can certainly hijack this thread for big news like that! I have two children, the second born when I was setting up my business so I have some idea of how you are feeling right now. At that point I did what I absolutely had to to progress my business and no more.

Sheree
    • Total posts: 33
    Up

I wanted to begin a thread about being optimistic(see my next post).

I keep my mind open to any possibilities,available to me,that would serve me better.

Life is full of choices

When under the weather.begin with the best….. YOU.

31 Self care. includes meeting your needs first.
    Make a list of all the feelgood things that you love doing.
    Prioritise your list.
    Eliminate some cooking/cleaing to make time available for the feelgood things.
    Practical i use a slowcooker to make 4-6 serves of curry and elinate a lot of time wasted on cooking/cleaning.
    Self talk is the inner bitch being kind toyou ?
    istract the self talk with shut up (NLP break state).
    Focus : needs to remain on exactly what you want.
    Exercise/fitness social connection feeling included & loved,very important on a number of levels.
    Fun /humour laughter and feelgood chemicals are so good for you and they are free.
    3 Min Relaxer
    1 Pause
    2 Stretch
    3 Ihale deeply.count to 5
    4 Exhale fully
    5 Repeat deep breathing 10 times

All the best & enjoy the feelgood things in life.

Sheree Montgomerie
    AttractingclientstoyourBiz

Small Business Marketing Experts
    http://www.smallbusinessmarketingcd.com
    [email protected]
    …… Success in mind
    Coach/PsychEd consultant
    (03) 9798 4361

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.