Home – New Forums Other discussions Copyright and budgets

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Zava Design
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,463
    Up
    ::

Hey folks,

Arising from another recent thread, got to thinking about something. If a service provider was able to offer you a cheaper budget due to using copyright or trademark infringing methods in some way to reach you that was easier/cheaper than coming up with their own methods, would you ignore the fact they were infringing the law in this way and just think of the $$$ you were saving, or would you look elsewhere, even if it meant paying a little bit more?

Joel Krause
    • Total posts: 103
    Up

I think I know what thread you’re talking about.

With my understanding, would people really recognise that a copyright infringement has been made without being told so?

In my (and your) industry, if I used a picture from Google Images on a clients site, ignoring the fact it could be copyrighted/trademarked, the client wouldn’t have the foggiest idea, and dare I say probably wouldn’t care.

If I wasn’t in my industry, and had NO idea about internet/copyright/etc, I probably wouldn’t worry/care and think “No one is going to come after me for using their image or content”.

I try to inform my clients about this stuff, so they know not just to get their images off Google and expect it to be OK.

Zava Design
    Participant
    Up

Well, my question is “If you knew…”…

Obviously if you don’t know, then it’s a moot question. Just look at all the ponzi schemes… ;)

Joel Krause
    • Total posts: 103
    Up
    Zava Design, post: 153009 wrote:
    Well, my question is “If you knew…”…

Obviously if you don’t know, then it’s a moot question. Just look at all the ponzi schemes… ;)
    Oh! If I knew.. Hmmm! I’d care. I wouldn’t want to risk my business. I’d go somewhere else and pay the extra to get reassurance that the content is being used properly, and not ‘stolen’.

Would the average Joe? Who knows, let’s find out!

Zava Design
    Participant
    Up

Actually, that does beg the question (another thought that just occurred to me from your comment):

How do you know, if the service provider is ignoring copyright/trademark in their own work, they might just be tempted to do the same for your work. It could save them so much time to just re-use someone else’s design rather than to create something unique.

JohnTranter
    • Total posts: 842
    Up

I guess it boils down to risk/reward.

For example if you want to watch part of a t.v. show online that hasn’t been picked up for licensing in Australia yet, you can find it on Youtube half the time. There’s practically no risk in watching that video, even though strictly it shouldn’t be available.

If someone wanted to install a great application on my computer for free, that would normally cost something, I wouldn’t do it. Not only would I find it ethically wrong, I would also worry about the legitimacy of the application and wonder about the spyware/trojans hidden inside. The risk is high.

WhatsThePlanDan
    Participant
    • Total posts: 297
    Up

As a budget conscious start up my answer is…

Absopositively NOT! Even if I am trying to save money it’s not right to knowingly use copyrighted/trademarked material (from an ethical standpoint regardless of the legal perspective). I would also be wondering how many other corners are being cut and how long it would be before whatever work they do for me gets “recycled” into someone else’s job.

BUT

How would I know? I can’t possibly spend the time to Google around and see if my images came from there, wouldn’t really know if they’d used clip-art, etc. How are you supposed to know??

Cheers
    Daniel

Zava Design
    Participant
    Up
    WhatsThePlanDan, post: 153065 wrote:
    How would I know? I can’t possibly spend the time to Google around and see if my images came from there, wouldn’t really know if they’d used clip-art, etc. How are you supposed to know??
    That part of it is where recommendations and business references are very important. You can never know for sure, but the higher the profile the provider the less likely these issues exist.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.