Home – New Forums Tech talk Copyright Law Question.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    M.Artis
    • Total posts: 2
    Up
    ::

Hi Guys and Girls.

As usual, I have a thousand thoughts running through my head on possible business ideas. But for one of my major ideas i’m worried about the legal stuff behind it. Without giving my idea away…. lets say:

If I had a website where people can play ‘pacman’ online for free and the person with the highest score at the end of the week gets a cash prize. If I state that pacman is licensed to bla bla and only earn money through PPC, ie people play for free, am I in infringement of copyright or licensing laws???

That is, am I only in violation of the law if I earn money from selling the game and/or not giving credit to the ‘owner’ of the game???

Hope this is clear enough for someone to answer.

peppie
    • Total posts: 525
    Up

Basically it matters little whether you earn income from the use of that game or not, you are still making use of someone elses “work” or intellectual property.

If you put were to put a copy of Charlie Browns picture or Mickey Mouse on your website you could be sued for breach of copyright, simply because you reproduced the image without permission. Essentially if someone created something they own it and you cannot use it for any reason without permission. And you cannot plead ignorance, the obligation is on you to check. There may be a situation where something is not copyrighted because it is generic or very old, but you still have to check very carefully.

I think you need to do some studying up on the subject and here is a good place to start http://www.copyright.org.au/ or just type copyright australia into any search engine. Make sure you have Australian information though because it is very different between countries.

Adam Randall
    • Total posts: 382
    Up

Have a chat to Men at work:)

Aidan
    • Total posts: 1,125
    Up
    Adam Randall, post: 26150 wrote:

ha ha… good one, I’ll bet EMI are stunned!

…although iinet did well yesterday in the movie download/Bittorrent case!

Karen Wardle
    • Total posts: 363
    Up

Ha Ha

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.