Home – New Forums Other discussions Copyright on Training Books

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #966822
    equest
    Member
    • Total posts: 1
    Up
    0
    ::

    I am interested in knowing if you can create powerpoint slides for delivery of courses and presentations from official study guides such as computer certification guides, or other books from differing industries, etc.

    I am also interested in knowing if these slides can then be printed, binded and handed out to students as reference material. I would assume that if this is legal, the slides (and the course book printed from them) would need to reference the source of the content but still not sure if this is legal or if it breaches copyright.

    Does providing the original guide/book as an additional resource to the audience help legally (i.e. if the original source is provided as well as the printed material that references the original book then the intent is NOT to compete with the book and it’s sales but rather, to assist students with slides and handouts that are more suitable to learning and capturing information during the presentation), or is provision of the book not necessary?

    Hope someone can point me in the right direction on this.

    #1021277
    ray_223
    Member
    • Total posts: 594
    Up
    0
    ::

    I’m not an expert … but in general you should assume everything is copyrighted unless otherwise specified.

    If you have any questions ask the owners of the material.

    #1021278
    mybusinesshelp
    Member
    • Total posts: 128
    Up
    0
    ::

    When it comes to Copywrite and Trade Marks – I highly recommend Rebecca Stalenberg from http://www.markyourterritory.com.au

    Thanks
    Amanda :)

    equest, post: 25095 wrote:
    I am interested in knowing if you can create powerpoint slides for delivery of courses and presentations from official study guides such as computer certification guides, or other books from differing industries, etc.

    I am also interested in knowing if these slides can then be printed, binded and handed out to students as reference material. I would assume that if this is legal, the slides (and the course book printed from them) would need to reference the source of the content but still not sure if this is legal or if it breaches copyright.

    Does providing the original guide/book as an additional resource to the audience help legally (i.e. if the original source is provided as well as the printed material that references the original book then the intent is NOT to compete with the book and it’s sales but rather, to assist students with slides and handouts that are more suitable to learning and capturing information during the presentation), or is provision of the book not necessary?

    Hope someone can point me in the right direction on this.

    #1021279
    Anonymous
    Guest
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up
    0
    ::

    Hi equest,

    This is not my area of expertise, so I apologise if I’m mistaken, but I think there are separate provisions for educational institutions when it comes to copyright. The good folk at the Copyright Agency (which administers most copyright in Australia) should be able to advise you: http://www.copyright.com.au/

    Cheers
    Jayne

    #1021280
    Jake@EmroyPrint
    Member
    • Total posts: 1,117
    Up
    0
    ::
    ray_223, post: 25110 wrote:
    I’m not an expert … but in general you should assume everything is copyrighted unless otherwise specified.

    If you have any questions ask the owners of the material.

    Everything IS copyrighted, regardless of whether it says so or not.

    There are different limitations to whether you are copying entire chapters, certain quotes, images etc. As Jayne said, http://www.copyright.com.au is a great resource, I constantly reference when I’m in doubt.

    #1021281
    ray_223
    Member
    • Total posts: 594
    Up
    0
    ::
    Emroy, post: 25197 wrote:
    Everything IS copyrighted, regardless of whether it says so or not.
    [snip]

    Hi Emroy,

    I wasn’t sure about material released to the public domain. Since there is no owner (not even a body of ownership other then “the public”) I can’t see how it can be copyrighted?

    Hence why I started with “am no expert” ;)

    #1021282
    Jake@EmroyPrint
    Member
    • Total posts: 1,117
    Up
    0
    ::
    ray_223, post: 25204 wrote:
    Hi Emroy,

    I wasn’t sure about material released to the public domain. Since there is no owner (not even a body of ownership other then “the public”) I can’t see how it can be copyrighted?

    Hence why I started with “am no expert” ;)

    Everything by default has copyright. If the copyright owner would like to release their work, the copyright owner would still have had to release their work under a particular licence for redistribution.

    I’m not an expert in it either, just another printing company who I am friends with was fined $22,000 for copyright violation so I thought I may be worthwhile to do a quick short course “{

    #1021283
    Burgo
    Participant
    • Total posts: 2,104
    Up
    0
    ::

    I have used someone elses work on several occassions in educational presentations.

    However before I used the material I contacted the writer and explained what I wanted to do and would they give me permission to do so.

    No one has knocked me back so far, in fact they were flattered that I thought their material was good enough to be used in a training seminar.

    #1021284
    FionaFell
    Member
    • Total posts: 342
    Up
    0
    ::

    Call a Pro. (and then if attribution is needed, do it)

    Follow the rules. It is just safer that way.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.