Home – New Forums Find the help you need Copywriting Business Mentor needed

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    PowerofWords
    • Total posts: 179
    Up
    ::

Hi all,
    I would dearly love the advice of a seasoned copywriter / mentor (from anywhere) for my new suite of content, SEO & copywriting services. Someone who knows what price points and offerings work for a soloist who does their own sales.

I found I am at full capacity with just 4 clients or so, going over time, and have too many business strategies, so need to re-think the whole thing.

At this stage I am hoping for someone who is open to exchange: high quality articles or website advice in exchange rather than paying the mentor up front.
    – Jen

MissSassy
    • Total posts: 1,255
    Up

Hi Jen

If you are at capacity with four clients you should be able to pay for the services you need. I would highly recommend that you choose someone based on their ability to help you and to resonate with what you are looking for. Instead of choosing someone who would just like to swap service for service.

A business adviser/mentor should be affordable for you and will provide you with the help you need to gain the clarity you are looking for. By finding and paying for someone who is a good fit you are bound to get better results.

PowerofWords
    Up

Hi Kelly
    Thanks for your help. I don’t earn very much in my part-time capacity, esp. after all the costs. A mentor would charge …? If there is someone who is just starting out mentoring others, I would prefer an ex-copywriter or solo service provider to advise me rather than a general business coach.

Jen

MissSassy
    • Total posts: 1,255
    Up

Hi Jen

You may be able to find an ex copywriter looking to do this from the good of their heart, I am sure they are out there.

In the mean time it may be worthwhile for you to look at networking groups where you can speak with other business owners – they can offer you tips and help and there may be other writers as part of that group. There are loads of Facebook groups too that may be able to help you get the tips you are looking for.

Don’t underestimate asking specific questions here too – there are many helpful people and other copywriters too.

Tony Manto
    Participant
    • Total posts: 581
    Up

Hi Jen, a Mentor or coach is trained to deal with a wide range of problems and can help you answer more questions than you think. Talking to another copywriter may help but how do you know they are doing it right?

Happy to have a chat.

Tom ISW
    • Total posts: 180
    Up

Hi PowerofWords, ISellWords here. Looks like we have something in common. :)

I can only speak for myself, but if it hasn’t been built yet, you have to take the lead and start building.

One great way of finding like-minded people is through Meetup.com. I won’t delve into detail, but a personal development book I was reading instructed me to join a support group for those who had similar issues. There was no support group in Melbourne. So I started one. What was initially two men in a room grew to over 150 members in four years. That’s without any kind of advertising or promotion. That’s just the pulling power of like attracting like.

Chances are, you may find a group that focuses squarely on copywriters, journalists or other writers who want to swap war stories. If you can’t find one, you make one yourself.

I’ve never paid for business advice. I’ve approached successful people. In many cases, they’ll relish the opportunity to talk about themselves. One client of mine was a super-successful PR, and he has given me more valuable insights from our long (off-the-clock!) conversations than a slew of books ever have.

Best of luck,

Tom

PowerofWords
    Up

Thank you very much to Tony Manto; yes I am now customising my packages and accounting for my time.

Thanks to Tom also, I have run a meetup group twice before but I can’t seem to find a lot of copy & blog writers in the same local area. Maybe I should try having a Zoom meeting with a few spread out ones. (Zoom is like Skype).

I have also got an account with LocalSmile, which helps with networking and having another site presence.

Byron Trzeciak
    Participant
    • Total posts: 423
    Up

Hi Jennifer,

You might want to double check your signature link it’s missing the semicolon and the link doesn’t go through to your website.

I think you need to understand who your ideal client is, what do they do, what would they pay, do they constantly ask what you’re doing or do they let you do your own thing and check back when required etc.

You need to be careful if you’re offering the lowest cost in the business only to find yourself overwhelmed by the time required for customers you receive at that price point. You don’t want to finish a client that was heaps of work, only to find that you’re desperate for your next client to come through again.

Mentoring is definitely a good thing. You might want to look at how to engage with an SEO or online marketing business in exchange for copywriting or look at how you can leverage partnerships within similar industries that don’t have a service overlap so that you can refer work between the two of you also.

All the best

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up

Hey there,

Happy to have a skype and do a swap also can give you access to some communities we are members of (copyblogger etc).

PM to arrange skype.

Duncan

BlackCoffeeComms
    • Total posts: 472
    Up

Hi there

just wanted to add my two cents re paying for a mentor. Any copywriter worth their salt will be busy with paid clients and will likelly not have time to take on unpaid work. And why would you want to be mentored by a copywriter that has the time?

But, if you are short of funds, come and join us at this Google+ group for copywriters https://plus.google.com/communities/115839140464291823688

And check out the free (and low cost) webinars here http://www.copywritingschool.com.au/

And this blog post: http://www.copywritingschool.com.au/find-copywriting-mentor/

(Caveat: I have done some work with the owner of the Clever Copywriting school, including a guest post and a co-hosted a webinar, but make no money from the site itself except the odd referral.)

Good luck!

Nicole

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.