Home – New Forums Starting your journey Cost effective overseas phone calls

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    elvita…
    • Total posts: 9
    Up
    ::

Hi
    So I’ve just realised that part of my business will involve making phone calls to overseas countries, mainly USA and UK. I am currently with Telstra and realise that making overseas calls will attract a high cost. Just wondering if any soloists have any cost effective suggestions.
    Many thanks
    Elvita…

leif_ae86
    • Total posts: 6
    Up

For overseas calls you will definitely want to look into VOIP, if your not familiar with that, it’s basically using a computer as a phone and the internet as your phone line.

As to which company or plan you should go with really depends on the type and amount of calls you want to make and if you want to receive calls as well.

Skype is probably the cheapest and user friendly option at around $5 a month for “unlimited” calls to a set country. Their terms of use allow for business communications but don’t allow use for telemarketing or calls where you generate an income.

Hatching_It
    • Total posts: 414
    Up

Will you need to have some way of them calling you back?

Rather than just thinking small and purely about calling them out, look at people that provide a hosted IVR system so that if they call you back (especially while you’re asleep!) then they can still feel like they’re getting a big company and leave a message.

MondoTalk (Gizmo on this forum) is one. Personally I use Telecube just because I knew of them from a previous job.

You’ll just need a USB headset and then you’ll use a ‘softphone’ that is installed on your computer.

Maclean

elvita…
    • Total posts: 9
    Up

Robbie and Maclean, thanks for your advice. I am unfamiliar with all of your suggestions at this time and will look into them.

I will be contacting prospective clients and be receiving calls from them too however the majority of my business will be within Australia.

I called Telstra today and they told me that calls to the US and UK are as follows:

US
    fixed line and mobiles – 2 cents per minute
    UK
    fixed line – 2 cents per minute
    mobile – 30 cents per minute

I did however forget to ask if there is also a flag fall charge! Are these prices expensive?

Also, with Skype, do the people I am wanting to connect with need to be registered with Skype too?

I’ll have a look at mondotalk and telecube now. Thanks again!

Elvita…

MikeDav
    • Total posts: 163
    Up

Hi,

There are lots of VOIP providers operating in Australia with most offering really cheap calls to the US and UK. Many will give you included minutes when you pay a monthly retainer and some will even offer calls for less than 1c per minute.

arrowwise
    • Total posts: 641
    Up

An example of a real cheap VOIP option:

http://www.dialnow.com/rates/calling-rates

Not sure how it compares to Skype or Google Talk.

If business call quality (without unforeseen drop outs and other issues) is your number 1 concern over price then it is best to call via an Australian company that provides and guarantees a business grade VOIP service.

Gizmo
    • Total posts: 731
    Up

Very good point about quality there, Arrowwise.
    Other points to notice are service and support levels.

I can help with low cost calls and international numbers your customers can call you on.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.