Home – New Forums Logistics Cost of fees when importing via sea freight.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Willzy
    • Total posts: 1
    Up
    ::

Hello everyone.

For the the past few months I have been importing products with orders of around $1000 dollars at a time via air freight which usually costs me more than the actual products and selling them online. I have built up a bit of profit and am looking to expand and build my own website to sell my products on.

I have got a few quotes for FOB sea freight with freight forwarders in China which is a sight cheaper than using air freight as I am planning on placing orders now around the $6000-$7000 range.

I just have a few questions. What are you past experiences with sea freight? And what happens when it reaches the ports at Sydney. Should I get a freight forwarder here to clear customs in Sydney? Once the products are cleared I have a truck I can pick them up with so how would I go about doing that? And what are they fees I’ll be looking at paying for say an order of $7000?

Would love to get some answers off some people with experience in this kind of thing.

Thanks guys!

Dave Gillen – Former FS Concierge
    Keymaster
    • Total posts: 2,566
    Up

Hi Willzy,

Welcome aboard the forums!

We have a bunch of importers around the place, so hopefully you’ll have some advice come in shortly.

Great to have you here. :)

Dave

LucasArthur
    Participant
    • Total posts: 3,171
    Up

Hi Willzy (is it Will?)

Before committing to anything China side, i think this post is crucial.. Locate a local freight forwarder ASAP to discuss your entire requirements from China to Australia, advise of existing chats and terms mentioned with Chinese freight forwarders etc etc…

There are a bunch on here that will pop along soon, i am sure.. although CAT from Global is awesome.. Importing is a mine field, personally i would never suggest collecting goods oneself although that is just a personal thing..

Good luck.

Jason

Jason Ramage | Lucas Arthur Pty Ltd | E: [email protected]   P: 61 3 8324 0344    M: 61 412 244 888
    Johny
    • Total posts: 840
    Up

Before committing to anything China side, i think this post is crucial.. Locate a local freight forwarder ASAP to discuss your entire requirements from China to Australia, advise of existing chats and terms mentioned with Chinese freight forwarders etc etc…

Would have to agree with this.

I don’t know how you have or will determine the best way to go, but my advice would be to not just use price as the determining factor.

A Chinese forwarder may or may not be a cheaper option, but one of the most important aspects is that if there are any problems, it is far easier to knock on the door of a local forwarder than it is one from there.

And, as I always suggest, weigh up the total costs by getting several quotes. Just basing your consideration on the shipping component only, can end up costing you a lot more in the long run.

PetesPlans
    • Total posts: 23
    Up

Hi, I’m only new to importing, but…

As already said, get hold of a local forwarder, if it is FOB they should handle the whole process. I have found it gets tricky and expensive when trying to consolidate multiple suppliers into a FCL (full container load), but that might be for later.

I have never picked up the goods, but i have found they charge a flat rate for delivery whether it is a few boxes or a half a container (about $100 or $150 i think). Full containers unloaded while the truck waits are charged with the first hour included, so you want to unload fast! They probably won’t move the container to ground level (it will be a normal truck), so you’ll need to get in there and do it yourself. You can have a FCL left at your place until your finished with it (for a fee).

Remember that the freight forwarder quote won’t include the Gov’t charges so you need to add this on. They usually give a breakdown of every charge, $5.30/kg for this and that plus a fuel levy or two etc, but i just ask “whats the total cost to get it to my door” (again, this won’t include the Gov’t charges).

Also, i have found that i takes almost a week from when the ship arrives to when it turns up at your door.

Expect lots of emails complaining about packing lists (PL), wood declarations, bill of lading (BL) (always ask for “express release” from your supplier for this or you’ll loose a few more days!).

Hope this helps…

Hatching_It
    • Total posts: 414
    Up
    SimplyReplica, post: 192748 wrote:
    Hi Willzy (is it Will?)

There are a bunch on here that will pop along soon, i am sure.. although CAT from Global is awesome.. Importing is a mine field, personally i would never suggest collecting goods oneself although that is just a personal thing..

Good luck.

Jason

Solid gold right here.

I started importing in December, and Cat helped me hugely! Now turning over $2000+ a month and looking to consolidate imports every 3 months to save on fees, she’ll be helping me with that too!

The only forwarder I’ve found that is trustworthy and upfront about all costs (note, also the only Australian company I’ve dealt with, was previously using Chinese based ones)

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.