Home – New Forums Starting your journey Cost of making Samples

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Karen L
    • Total posts: 6
    Up
    ::

Hi Fellow Solo-ers!

Just wondering if anyone could give me advice/answers on how much it would generally cost to make a sample of your product? Also, is it worth it?

I am thinking of sampling bath and skincare products, packaged baby foods …

Thanks!
    Karen

Robselc
    • Total posts: 56
    Up

I would say if you are serious about starting up a business its definitely worth it, if not essential. The cost depends what and where you get the samples done. If you were to get them done overseas say in asia or india the cost would be lower then getting them done in Australia. However if you got them done in Australia the chances of getting the samples done right the first time is better. As far as baby food is concerned because of the regulations, I would say definitely have it done in Australia… I would imagine the cost of having these types of samples made up would be quite expensive…. Packaged baby foods? depends if you are thinking of producing your own line or using an already established line?

Johny
    • Total posts: 840
    Up

However if you got them done in Australia the chances of getting the samples done right the first time is better.

Not really. There are plenty of lazy and incompetent people in Australia who can stuff up a sample or take forever to get it finished. Thats just not something that is talked about here.

As often as not, the reason many samples are not done correctly is that the request is not specific enough or people expect rock bottom prices because it is done in Asia. No matter where you get work done, pay peanuts……. well you know the rest.

I am currently doing a baby food packaging product right now with a factory in China. Admittedly communication is not the easiest with this particular supplier, but their result has been fantastic, end customer is extremely pleased to the point they are complaining they need more stock urgently to meet demand.

With regard to the original poster, if you mean you are looking for items like just the packaging for the baby food, then asia is an option, if you mean you want to source the food component as well, not sure if this would be a good option for you.

But before even sampling, I would be looking at whether there is potential interest for the product.

Robselc
    • Total posts: 56
    Up

Thats a great point Johnny , Im sure you could have negative experiences with manufacturers in Australia too. I too tried to liaison with Chinese companies and i just found it too frustrating for myself… I since switched to a factory in India and the communication is much better, the english is fluent which helps me alot.
    With baby food…. although alot of it does come from China im sure, I personally dont want to see made in china on my prepackaged baby food , but thats just me. Packaging however, Johnny is right, asia, india best route to go really.

Johny
    • Total posts: 840
    Up

I agree. I wouldn’t be buying baby food from China. Quite often the stuff they export is of better quality than what they have in the domestic market, but I wouldn’ be feeding my baby with anything food wise from China if I had a choice.

Karen L
    • Total posts: 6
    Up

Thanks for all the replies everyone!

I was doing some market research and found that some owners were making a point about how expensive it was to make samples. I’m in the natural/organics space and a lot of these businesses are only small.

Have a lovely weekend!

Karen

T j Turner
    • Total posts: 240
    Up

I make samples to send to customers for my business. Every 2 months when a customer place an order for soaps, etc I send them a sample of a products for them to try. I find it quite cheap to do samples as I make them myself

Tanja / Scentalicious By Tanja

Chris H
    • Total posts: 111
    Up
    Karen L, post: 157792 wrote:
    Thanks for all the replies everyone!

I was doing some market research and found that some owners were making a point about how expensive it was to make samples. I’m in the natural/organics space and a lot of these businesses are only small.

Have a lovely weekend!

Karen

Focus on your packaging as that is what faces the customer, for mock ups you can use a competitors product in your packaging… Don’t pretend that its the product you’re selling only that this is what it will look like on their shelves.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.