Home – New Forums Marketing mastery Cost of own website?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up
    ::

Hello everyone,
    I run a small grocery store in an even smaller community in Sydney’s inner west. I wish to have a website for this shop. Does anyone have any idea how much that may cost?
    Thank you in advance.
    regards
    Joe

MatthewKeath
    • Total posts: 3,184
    Up

Hi Joe,

It depend which route you take, but if you are budget conscious, I would recommend a customised WordPress template website.

We charge $750 for customisation and setup, others may vary.

The other option is a 100% custom site, but they cost in the 000’s. Something to aim for!

You can also create a WordPress site and install a template yourself if you know what to do.

Good luck with it!

Joel Krause
    • Total posts: 103
    Up

Like Matthew said, the costs can vary dramatically. To get a fully customised solution can cost you in the thousands. Depending on what functionality you are after, of course, would determine (or give a roundabout price) of how much it will cost.

We charge anywhere from $500 to $3000 for websites.

Cheers,
    Joel.

ShanDesign
    • Total posts: 67
    Up

Hi Joe,

To get everything set up including hosting, domain name and web design, you should budget for around $900-$1,300 for a basic site.

For example, our websites range from $1,200 to $5,000+ depending on how complex they are. A simple site with a system that allows you to update content yourself would be towards the low end of that scale.

Hope that helps some, best of luck!

Shannon

http://www.shandesign.com.au

KellyB
    • Total posts: 65
    Up

I was about to post a similar question myself, is great to read through all these responses, so I have an idea of what we should budget for a basic website.
    Thanks everyone!!

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up

Thank you for your prompt and really helpful advice. I really like the price quotes as they give me a pretty rough idea of what to expect.
    Just wondering
    What would it cost to have a website that can take payments and have products include billing ?
    Rough estimate would help.

Thank you once again

regards
    Joe

Joel Krause
    • Total posts: 103
    Up
    Joe , post: 158246 wrote:
    Thank you for your prompt and really helpful advice. I really like the price quotes as they give me a pretty rough idea of what to expect.
    Just wondering
    What would it cost to have a website that can take payments and have products include billing ?

Thank you once again

regards
    Joe
    From us you’re looking at around $1500-$2000.

Cheers,
    Joel.

Netorigin
    • Total posts: 421
    Up
    Joe , post: 158224 wrote:
    Hello everyone,
    I run a small grocery store in an even smaller community in Sydney’s inner west. I wish to have a website for this shop. Does anyone have any idea how much that may cost?
    Thank you in advance.
    regards
    Joe

Hi Joe,

In regards to setting up a website, you will need to register a domain name and purchase web hosting. The cost to register a .com.au domain for example usually is between $20/2 years and $30/2 years depending on where you register it. Also to note, the requirements to register a .com.au domain is an ABN/ACN.The web hosting cost can start anywhere from a few dollars a month and since you’re starting off, a low cost Australian web hosting plan would be suitable.

Cheers,

Shaun

JustJames
    • Total posts: 104
    Up

If you have the ability to conceptualise your own design and can find the time to do some (non-technical) development, have a look at hosted solutions (BigCommerce, Ashop…there are others). They all let you sign up for a free trial, which lets you see what they can do, and give an idea of what they can do.

With these you are looking at starting at around $60/month.

My website – link below – runs on Ashop. I’ve done all the setup myself, but I have an IT background, so I was able to export product data from my MYOB system into Excel, manipulate it and load it into Ashop quite easily.

James

Ozzcouple
    • Total posts: 17
    Up
    Joe , post: 158246 wrote:
    Just wondering

Thank you once again

regards
    Joe
    Hi Joe
    I have noted most of your replies to this have been from web services, EG selling themselves to you….
    We have just gone though what you are thinking of and I will give you some tips I found out to keep in mind no matter who you choose.
    A : You pay for what you get. If you spend around $1000 you get the basic setup. This means in most cases – limited pages, function, basic shopping cart and no SEO (Search Engine Operation) work done.
    B: Be carful of what the web service offer as they are like a used car salesman offer you the world but read the find print.
    C: The lower the setup price the more it will cost you for yearly updates. In most cases I found a $1300 set up cost only gave me 15pages online and very poor page ranking and a yearly ongoing cost of $800.
    D: We paid $2000 for our site took the web guy 8 weeks to put together what we wanted, it was like we were pulling out his teeth one at a time he did want to make changes to the original template sent to us. I still after all that we had to employ a second web designer to fix the web page the 1st guy said was working great now pay up the money…That cost another $800..
    E: Now were are spending more money employing a SEO guy to tweak our site so that people will FIND US when they do a web search. The web designers will tell you this is part of the service cost and some say they grantee you 1st page listing. Sorry but that is a load of rubbish as yes if you type in your domain address as in http://www.joe shop.com etc. you come up 1st page but if you want someone to find your shop online then you need to have a SEO person to set up ad words & search profiles in Google and that takes time & money. You can find many SEO people on http://www.odesk.com they have 100’s based world wide, but keep in mind you pay for what you get so check out each SEO person work history before agreeing to hire them. As some are in India so rates are very cheap compared to OZ but many have the same skill level.

Hope some of this helps

Cheers Ozzcouple..

MatthewKeath
    • Total posts: 3,184
    Up
    Ozzcouple, post: 158843 wrote:
    Hi Joe
    I have noted most of your replies to this have been from web services, EG selling themselves to you….
    We have just gone though what you are thinking of and I will give you some tips I found out to keep in mind no matter who you choose.
    A : You pay for what you get. If you spend around $1000 you get the basic setup. This means in most cases – limited pages, function, basic shopping cart and no SEO (Search Engine Operation) work done.
    B: Be carful of what the web service offer as they are like a used car salesman offer you the world but read the find print.
    C: The lower the setup price the more it will cost you for yearly updates. In most cases I found a $1300 set up cost only gave me 15pages online and very poor page ranking and a yearly ongoing cost of $800.
    D: We paid $2000 for our site took the web guy 8 weeks to put together what we wanted, it was like we were pulling out his teeth one at a time he did want to make changes to the original template sent to us. I still after all that we had to employ a second web designer to fix the web page the 1st guy said was working great now pay up the money…That cost another $800..
    E: Now were are spending more money employing a SEO guy to tweak our site so that people will FIND US when they do a web search. The web designers will tell you this is part of the service cost and some say they grantee you 1st page listing. Sorry but that is a load of rubbish as yes if you type in your domain address as in http://www.joe shop.com etc. you come up 1st page but if you want someone to find your shop online then you need to have a SEO person to set up ad words & search profiles in Google and that takes time & money. You can find many SEO people on http://www.odesk.com they have 100’s based world wide, but keep in mind you pay for what you get so check out each SEO person work history before agreeing to hire them. As some are in India so rates are very cheap compared to OZ but many have the same skill level.

Hope some of this helps

Cheers Ozzcouple..Sounds like you had some communication problems.

$2000 is cheap for a custom job. I wouldn’t touch a eCommerce custom job for anything less that $6000. They are complicated, and getting them done cheap is more trouble than it’s worth.

$1000 is ok for a template job with eCommerce. You can get a decent site for that price. Not all companies have limited pages and features. Our eCommerce is $1150 for a customised template and it comes with unlimited products and pages and a full featured cart.

SEO – we never promise anything – I am always trying to lower users expectations that they are going to suddenly start ranking high for competitive keywords. I do promise a good SEO base that can be built on down the track.

Ongoing costs: Yes, a cheaper solution up front often mean more per month. People need to eat after all. Expectations of $800 per year having any result on SEO are not realistic, and if this was said to you then they are lying. A company would need to spend $800 per MONTH for SEO.

It sucks that you had a bad experience, but I see it all the time. I quote $7500 – they go with a $2000 job and it’s a disaster. But, that doesn’t change people want cheap work, and are willing to sacrifice quality.

ShanDesign
    • Total posts: 67
    Up

I am finding this topic really interesting.

I agree with MattewKeath on many points, some clients do tend to want everything for as cheap as possible but unfortunately it takes a lot of time and work (not to mention expertise) to get a fantastic and functional website. You can have quality or cheap but not both :) Web designers are simply not going to put in the same amount of hours on a $1,000 site as they are for a $5,000 site.

If someone is guaranteeing you a first page in Google, it should definitely raise some questions. I also agree with spending around $800+ a month on SEO, particularly in the beginning, being more realistic. Things like pay per click advertising can also take a while to perfect and fine tune so you should be prepared to lose some money to start with before making it back.

John Romaine
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,108
    Up
    MatthewKeath, post: 158850 wrote:
    $2000 is cheap for a custom job. I wouldn’t touch a eCommerce custom job for anything less that $6000. They are complicated, and getting them done cheap is more trouble than it’s worth.

Agreed.

You’re handling people’s credit cards. This is to be taken seriously.

Anyone that says “I can setup an ecommerce website for $500” is blowing smoke.

Spend the money and do it properly.

The Copy Chick
    • Total posts: 963
    Up

Another cost which probably wont be included in most sites is the copy.

For those at the cheaper end, you’ll be expected to write and provide your own content. If you have the time and know-how, this probably isn’t an issue, but you may want to budget for an SEO copywriter.

They can write copy to appeal to your target market with appropriate calls-to-action, while also ensuring the content contains relevant keywords and customised meta-data for each of your pages to keep the search engines happy.

Depending on the size and complexity of you site, you’ll be looking at anything from $800 to $4,000+.

Like most things, you’ll get what you pay for, but it can be an investment worth making.

Aidan
    • Total posts: 1,125
    Up

Hi there,

some great feedback here, I’ll add a caution – beware of feedback from those who don’t really know what they are talking about.

People like Matthew and Copy Chick to pick just two here on FS are very knowledgeable and have a history of helping others successfully, I’d tend to lean towards what they say rather than the ‘advice’ you get from others. Even if it’s from your cousin ‘who works in IT’ (they’re the worst!)

Good Luck with the project

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.