Home – New Forums Starting your journey Countdown….To Launch!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    sansamad
    • Total posts: 122
    Up
    ::

Hi Everyone,

I am at that precarious ledge before jumping off with my own wings!

I will be importing into Australia an exclusive range from Europe (not clothing) that is perfect for up-market, savvy Menswear stores.

I am on a shoestring budget.

My background is teacher (inbuilt eye for detail and potential), stylist (visual intuition), sales (you do want what I have for you), wardrobe consultant (all about pampering), publishing project manager (tie all the strands together quickly)….now rolling those experiences and learning a ton more to be an Importer!!!!

I know there are a lot of you out there in the Flying Solo hub that have vast amounts of experience!!! What are your suggestions for getting traction with my product??

Looking forward to your sage and practical advice :)

Many thanks,

Sandra

coreytopp
    • Total posts: 22
    Up
    sansamad, post: 158006 wrote:
    Hi Everyone,

I am at that precarious ledge before jumping off with my own wings!

I will be importing into Australia an exclusive range from Europe (not clothing) that is perfect for up-market, savvy Menswear stores.

I am on a shoestring budget.

My background is teacher (inbuilt eye for detail and potential), stylist (visual intuition), sales (you do want what I have for you), wardrobe consultant (all about pampering), publishing project manager (tie all the strands together quickly)….now rolling those experiences and learning a ton more to be an Importer!!!!

I know there are a lot of you out there in the Flying Solo hub that have vast amounts of experience!!! What are your suggestions for getting traction with my product??

Looking forward to your sage and practical advice :)

Many thanks,

Sandra

Hi Sandra,

Talk about a broad question! Best advice I could give would be to ask yourself how you are going to market your product to be something completely different than anything else. There is too much competition out there to try and be better than everyone else (especially on a shoestring budget), so you need to be different than everyone else.

I’d think about carving your niche a little finer, find out where these people are hanging out online and get yourself in front of them! First things first, jump on the Google keyword tool and find out what they are searching for related to your product.

Then maybe do some split testing with some Google ads to see which niche gets the most traction.

Hope this helps, best of luck with it all.

Corey

Sydney Business
    • Total posts: 141
    Up

What is your unique point of difference and where are your potential customers?

Answer these first and you will be closer in knowing how and where to market to them.

sansamad
    Up
    coreytopp, post: 158007 wrote:
    Hi Sandra,

Talk about a broad question! Best advice I could give would be to ask yourself how you are going to market your product to be something completely different than anything else. There is too much competition out there to try and be better than everyone else (especially on a shoestring budget), so you need to be different than everyone else.

I’d think about carving your niche a little finer, find out where these people are hanging out online and get yourself in front of them! First things first, jump on the Google keyword tool and find out what they are searching for related to your product.

Then maybe do some split testing with some Google ads to see which niche gets the most traction.

Hope this helps, best of luck with it all.

Corey

Hi Corey,

You are the high disposable income, savvy, fashionable male that my product is aimed at and I know where to find others like you :)

Google keyword tool…thank you! I’m a newbie when it comes to online stuff….trying to listen, absorb and apply.

In an attempt to not be quite so broad:

I am looking for concrete ideas on what to do to get initial traction with my product. I know the niche market where my customer resides. What I particularly need guidance with is the to-do components of an initial marketing plan that will promote my brand.

What I have is sales experience so can hit the ‘pavement’ but what I don’t have is big bucks. An online store is out of the question for me in the beginning but what could I do??…should I have a modern, clean webpage that has contact details at least and which can be developed as the business progresses.

All thoughts and ideas are much appreciated!

Cheers,

Sandra :)

Greg_M
    • Total posts: 1,691
    Up

Maybe a simple online store to showcase your products wouldn’t be a bad back up to pounding the pavement.

It may be easier and cheaper than you think, building a static site still costs, unless you DIY it, and you still need to host the site.

Shopify now starts at $14 per month for a bullet proof system that can scale effortlessly if the store is successful.

Another option is Squarespace, fully hosted sites, OK for DIY, from $8 per month … has a new add on ecommerce module if needed, also integrates with facebook, twitter et al.

Good luck with the venture.

Tagntrade
    • Total posts: 14
    Up

Hi,
    I recently read you post and noticed that exposure is something that you are worried about especially with a limited budget. My advice is set-up your own site to sell your products but sell them everywhere else to. Many E-commerce platforms can advertise your product for free and take a commission if they sell. Like mine at http://www.tagntrade.com.au

Take advantage of these platforms and try to convert your customers once they have bought to interact with your site by social media or a mailing list on upcoming specials.

If you have any other questions let me know

Tristan

Robselc
    • Total posts: 56
    Up

First of all Good Luck!, you are in a very similar boat to me as far as the shoe string budget. I am only lucky in that my husband is in IT and designed my page and he is also a photographer yay!

Ive noticed alot of people selling their product through facebook lately so that could be an option for you.
    Apparently you can set up a facebook shopping cart or something but no sure how that works.
    Anyway it actually seems like a trendy little thing to do. For example I was on FB the other day and one of my fb friends had “liked” a page in order to win a free childs dress. So i clicked on the page which took me to this FB page (so i could win the dress because it was really cute)
    I scrolled around on the page which had all the pictures of the dresses she sold, and people ordering them right there on FB. I actually thought to myself this is a really good idea…. she also had lots of fans and had appeared to have made alot of sales, there was really no need for her to have a website and most of her traffic would have come from all the moms looking at eachothers facebook pages and seeing her stores link.

coreytopp
    • Total posts: 22
    Up
    sansamad, post: 158030 wrote:
    Hi Corey,

You are the high disposable income, savvy, fashionable male that my product is aimed at and I know where to find others like you :)

Google keyword tool…thank you! I’m a newbie when it comes to online stuff….trying to listen, absorb and apply.

In an attempt to not be quite so broad:

I am looking for concrete ideas on what to do to get initial traction with my product. I know the niche market where my customer resides. What I particularly need guidance with is the to-do components of an initial marketing plan that will promote my brand.

What I have is sales experience so can hit the ‘pavement’ but what I don’t have is big bucks. An online store is out of the question for me in the beginning but what could I do??…should I have a modern, clean webpage that has contact details at least and which can be developed as the business progresses.

All thoughts and ideas are much appreciated!

Cheers,

Sandra :)

Well, as the owner of 2 start ups still in the growth phase, I wouldn’t say I fit into the high disposable income category! ;)

But yes, I agree with the others. An online store is definitely not out of the question. I would go Shopify hands down. If you need help on setting that up shoot me an email at [email protected]

If you need logo and branding work done, head to http://www.designcrowd.com.au/ again if you want some advice on how to get the most out of design crowd just email me.

Now set yourself up a Facebook page if you haven’t already then get a designer from design crowd to make you a timeline. Once you’ve done that head to http://www.socialhousemedia.com/ where you can get a Facebook competition made for around $350. This is the best investment you will make to begin with. They will set up the comp for you and help you promote it. If you can give away a good enough prize, there’s no reason why you can’t net 1000 entries in a month. This equals 1000 likes and 1000 email addresses. Bingo.

Now use the Google Keyword Tool to find some high volume searches with low competition for your target niche. Start running some Google Ads back to a landing page on your site with a special start up deal you may have.

Give this a try and see how you go!

Cheers

Corey :)

sansamad
    Up
    estim8, post: 158042 wrote:
    Maybe a simple online store to showcase your products wouldn’t be a bad back up to pounding the pavement.

It may be easier and cheaper than you think, building a static site still costs, unless you DIY it, and you still need to host the site.

Shopify now starts at $14 per month for a bullet proof system that can scale effortlessly if the store is successful.

Another option is Squarespace, fully hosted sites, OK for DIY, from $8 per month … has a new add on ecommerce module if needed, also integrates with facebook, twitter et al.

Good luck with the venture.

Hi estim8,

To not have some respectable online presence in these times does seem to be foolish. And from what you’re saying I can get a decent sharp look at an entry price level. Shopify looks like a great option…I need to look at it in more detail.

Thanks for the awesome practical suggestions :)

Sandra

sansamad
    Up
    coreytopp, post: 158209 wrote:
    Well, as the owner of 2 start ups still in the growth phase, I wouldn’t say I fit into the high disposable income category! ;)

But yes, I agree with the others. An online store is definitely not out of the question. I would go Shopify hands down. If you need help on setting that up shoot me an email at [email protected]

If you need logo and branding work done, head to http://www.designcrowd.com.au/ again if you want some advice on how to get the most out of design crowd just email me.

Now set yourself up a Facebook page if you haven’t already then get a designer from design crowd to make you a timeline. Once you’ve done that head to http://www.socialhousemedia.com/ where you can get a Facebook competition made for around $350. This is the best investment you will make to begin with. They will set up the comp for you and help you promote it. If you can give away a good enough prize, there’s no reason why you can’t net 1000 entries in a month. This equals 1000 likes and 1000 email addresses. Bingo.

Now use the Google Keyword Tool to find some high volume searches with low competition for your target niche. Start running some Google Ads back to a landing page on your site with a special start up deal you may have.

Give this a try and see how you go!

Cheers

Corey :)

Hi Corey,

Half decent disposable income then ;)

Some great ideas!!! I really appreciate your input and will be looking at each of your suggestions in more detail :) Shopify seems to get the thumbs up. I don’t really understand what you mean by running Google Ads (I’m a newbie if you hadn’t already guessed) but I suppose I will when I get into it.

Many thanks,

Sandra

Chris H
    • Total posts: 111
    Up

Hi Sandra,

As someone with a great online presence with SEO coming out of his wazoo, I can tell you that it’s all about the pavement and how hard and often you pound it.

It’s all about leverage, you need to get your products into someone’s nice shop and get some real nice photos of them there. Perhaps get your first couple of stores on a no money down consignment basis. (Where they have no risk).
    I don’t mind buying business.

Then make a list of the chains you would like to carry your products from best to worst. Then for your first approach pick one in the middle and march in there with your samples, photos of your product in peoples store and a hell of a pitch. DOn’t start at the best but work your way up to it when you have honed your pitch to a razor sharp edge.

sansamad
    Up

Hi everyone,

Gee how come it’s Friday already 😮

Thanks to everyone for all their awesome ideas :)

The range is positioned at a mid to high end, so I believe by selecting the right retailer and selling the story, consignment is not necessary. Also I think it worthwhile to be mindful of where the range is stocked “bricks and mortar” and online stores that fit that positioning and therefore not everywhere…I don’t want to dilute the brand.

With regard to getting traction with my product do people generally think it is important to do a targeted press release….and can I do it myself or is it best in the hands of publicity people?? I am on that same old same old….tight budget.

Love to hear your further thoughts and recommendations :)

Sandra

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.