Home – New Forums Starting your journey Couple questions regarding freelancing as an illustrator

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Spectrum8
    • Total posts: 1
    Up
    ::

Hello,
    I’m just looking to sort out some questions I had as I’ve been looking all over for answers to some questions but it’s been a little difficult to find anything.

So I’ve finished studying and I’d like to try and support myself via freelancing. I’ve been doing this already on the side on and off for maybe the past year or two, invoices done up via paypal and all that as well as a patreon page.

I assume I’ll surely need to apply for an ABN for starters, I have also been reporting any income from this to centrelink as I was and now am on jobseeker benefits. Would any money from the patreon page count as income? If so, how would I go about reporting ‘proof’ of this as there’s no actual invoice created from any of that? It’s all just kinda moved to paypal then into my bank account from there.

Am I required to prove the art services I’m providing at all for each of the invoices? As in showing all of the art I produce? Mostly asking as some of the stuff can tend to be on the NSFW side.

Does anyone else have any sort of experience with this sort of thing? Some tips and/or direction would be great.

Thanks!

businesstrade
    Participant
    • Total posts: 215
    Up
    Spectrum8, post: 267953, member: 116524 wrote:
    I assume I’ll surely need to apply for an ABN for starters, I have also been reporting any income from this to centrelink as I was and now am on jobseeker benefits.

Would any money from the patreon page count as income?
    If so, how would I go about reporting ‘proof’ of this as there’s no actual invoice created from any of that? It’s all just kinda moved to paypal then into my bank account from there.

Obvious disclaimer – I’m not an accountant so it is best you speak to one, everything I say is general information only.

Yes, I would think you would need an ABN as what you are doing appears to be conducting business.

Patreon income most likely would be considered income, as they are paying for your product which is art or whatever.

businesstrade.com.aubuy or sell a business
    Dave Gillen – Former FS Concierge
    Keymaster
    • Total posts: 2,566
    Up

To address a couple of your Qs…

The paypal transactions are probably a useful record for tax purposes.
    I don’t think you’ll need to show anyone the art, as long as your invoices describe the service provided.

Dave

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.