Home – New Forums Logistics Courier dispatch from drop off location

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    MrSean
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1
    Up
    ::

I am looking to start a business as a side hustle which I’ll need to nurture for the first 6-12 months as I work my main job. The business will require dispatch of goods across Australia. Ideally I want to avoid the added cost of a warehouse or office to dispatch from initially (until I can grow it the appropriate size).

I would like to prepare the goods to be dispatched and ideally avoid scheduling courier pickups to my home location. Is it possible to have goods dropped off to a location for courier pickup? Is this a thing? If I was close enough to a courier depot this might work but I would be concerned about the length of time I might need to be there (as I have to work during the day) – I’d want basically a drop and go system. Maybe if I had an arrange with another business (???). Any thoughts or recommendations?

Paul – FS Concierge
    Keymaster
    • Total posts: 3,382
    Up

Hi And Welcome to Flying Solo It is great to have you!

Thank you for joining our community and posting.

The traditional route is to find a 3PL provider that will be happy to take low volume orders and then it is done for you – but at a cost.

Your idea about finding a local to you business to work with sounds great but the biggest problem is finding one willing to be accountable for any mistakes.

I would personally try to find a friend or family member with time on their hands to help out or suck up the budget issue and invest in a 3PL.

Cheers
    ~Paul

Dash Freight
    Participant
    • Total posts: 94
    Up

Hi MrSean,
    I like the way you are thinking. I provide couriers and pallet services, and residential pickups are not ideal.
    If you are close to a courier depot, like TNT for instance, yes you can drop the parcels there. It’s easy.
    If you are using Aramex or Couriers please, yes they have drop off points (servo…newsagent…etc.)

Which courier you use, depends on your products and your receivers (commercial or residential)
    If you are doing large volume, low value, and low weight items to residential clients, then AusPost is a good starting point.

If you are doing parcels over 2 kg or high value items, contact me and I can talk you through the options

Rob Dash E: rob@dashfreight.com.au M: 61 423 136 053 Quotes: https://tinyurl.com/yae7tbj6 S: live:rd2221
    Jason Ramage
    Participant
    • Total posts: 3,168
    Up

Hi MrSean,
    I like the way you are thinking. I provide couriers and pallet services, and residential pickups are not ideal.
    If you are close to a courier depot, like TNT for instance, yes you can drop the parcels there. It’s easy.
    If you are using Aramex or Couriers please, yes they have drop off points (servo…newsagent…etc.)

Which courier you use, depends on your products and your receivers (commercial or residential)
    If you are doing large volume, low value, and low weight items to residential clients, then AusPost is a good starting point.

If you are doing parcels over 2 kg or high value items, contact me and I can talk you through the options

Great advice as always Rob… OP, would highly recommend using someone like Rob to ensure you are on the right path freight wise.. an absolute gentleman to deal with..

Alternatively, you can do warehousing with 3PL as an option if you needed..

ALl that being said, i strongly believe the slow and steady approach with the timelines you have advised shows your understanding of your market and willingness to grow into the path you need.. Its, well, very refreshing..

Wishing you the best, and hoping to see your growth documented here 🙂

Jason Ramage | Lucas Arthur Pty Ltd | E: hello@lucasarthur.net.au   P: 61 3 8324 0344    M: 61 412 244 888
    storewall
    Participant
    • Total posts: 28
    Up

Many courier services have drop off options at their depot, some also have local drop off locations (newsagencies etc). Sometimes depots are close to airports so they are not local enough to work for everyone. If you can prepare your orders in the evening and drop off in the morning on your way to work that might be a good way to start off.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.