Home – New Forums Logistics courier recommendations

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    mikri
    • Total posts: 1
    Up
    ::

Hi everyone

I am starting an online store and expect to send out approximately 10-20 parcels a week nationally to begin with. I’m after a reliable, cost effective courier service. I’ve narrowed it down to Fastway and Couriers Please. If you could please share any experiences with either of these couriers, it would be great.

Alternatively, any other suggestions also welcome!

Thanks in advance!

King
    • Total posts: 2,212
    Up

Either/or…depends on price and destination so you may need to develop your own matrix.
    We use FW and Aust Post.

PawsForLife
    • Total posts: 77
    Up

I suggest looking at a courier aggregation service like Temando. Not only will that get you better rates from day one, but you can load multiple carriers and test which ones you prefer.

I would suggest looking very carefully at loss rates and insurance structures – all courier services will try and squirm out of telling you both of the above, but both are crucial when working out your bottom line.

King
    Up
    PawsForLife, post: 86652 wrote:
    I suggest looking at a courier aggregation service like Temando. Not only will that get you better rates from day one, but you can load multiple carriers and test which ones you prefer.

I would suggest looking very carefully at loss rates and insurance structures – all courier services will try and squirm out of telling you both of the above, but both are crucial when working out your bottom line.

temando is one of a number of names used by Hunter Express (they have about 5 reskinned sites, all identical) and generally does not return any other competitor in searches.

We looked at several shipping aggregators and at the end of the day there was no benefit we could find compared with going direct with individual companies and negotiating our own discounts.

Steve_Minshall
    • Total posts: 518
    Up

I have used Couriers Please for 7 years and several of my suppliers use them. They have always been pretty good. The runs are usually serviced by owner-operators who in general provide a better service than the employee drivers of the bigger firms. I have had 3 different drivers to our area and had a great relationship with all of them. Their tracking system is easy to use and easy for your customers to track for themselves. Prices not too bad.

Happy to recommend them.

PawsForLife
    • Total posts: 77
    Up
    King, post: 86653 wrote:
    temando is one of a number of names used by Hunter Express (they have about 5 reskinned sites, all identical) and generally does not return any other competitor in searches.

We looked at several shipping aggregators and at the end of the day there was no benefit we could find compared with going direct with individual companies and negotiating our own discounts.

Temando was started by Carl Hartman, an ex-Fairfax guy that decided to become a courier aggregator targeting specifically the growing online B2C marketing. This is not a Hunter Express reskinned site.

See: http://www.temando.com/aboutUs.html
    And: au.linkedin.com/in/carlhartmann

On the topic of aggregators, I agree with the price point – there’s no advantage. There is an advantage on a cash point – especially if you wish to trial Fastway (who force you to pre-buy a number of labels, depending on where you to deliver to can start to cost upwards of $10k). Aggregators will ask you to deposit in to an account, but it will be $200 for all destinations.

There is also the advantage of having the ability to trial mutliple carriers – as I mentioned in my initial reply. I think this is the most powerful advantage, it basically gives you a ‘try before you buy’ concept with your courier partner. If you haven’t used couriers before, I would strongly suggest trying a few to see who you like/can work with – they are never straight about error and loss rates, the different interfaces offered vary considerably and customer service varies from something to outright abuse.

King
    Up

The engine driving the site is used on several other sites, with the common thread that generally the only carrier to come up on the quote results in Hunter Express. This is what I was basing my assumption on.

especially if you wish to trial Fastway (who force you to pre-buy a number of labels, depending on where you to deliver to can start to cost upwards of $10k).

Not sure where you calculate that figure from. FW cetainly has books of tickets, but these can be bought in lots of 10 tickets so can cost as little as sub $60 for a book, depending on delivery destination. Even their grey labels at $46ish for delivery to even the most remote locations will only cost you $460. Then there are the satchels, again in lots of 10, byt still a long way short of $10k

I imagine Couriers Please offer similar pricing and label/book arrangements.

Past-Member
    • Total posts: 1,815
    Up

I imagine Couriers Please offer similar pricing and label/book arrangements.

Yes – I have used Couriers Please for the past 20 or more years. Different drivers, but I also get to know them and they are great. I am based out of a metro area, and find them very good and use them also for interstate parcels. Their tracking system is very good. I purchase my coupons in sets at a time. They also have satchels which I haven’t used because my parcels have been mainly boxes.

For small parcels 500g and under I just use the small Express Post from Australia Post and can track them as well.

King
    Up

For small parcels 500g and under I just use the small Express Post from Australia Post and can track them as well.

I found out something rather amazing last week about express post and that is if you are sending something to a non-metro destination (in my case was to Mount Isa) that the item is NOT trackable. It is only scanned for the first time when it reaches its destination. This from Aust Post when I was wanting to know where an express item sent from Brisbane had not arrived after 5 days…

silkinteriors
    • Total posts: 17
    Up

We’ve just signed up with Couriers Please and are testing them out in Melbourne this week.

I like that their coupons don’t expire and if I need to send outside of the Melbourne metro area, I just add a $3.20 ticket – I don’t have to buy a whole other set coupons for a specific ‘Zone’.

What put me off Fastway was that I would’ve had to have bought 20 coupons per zone and their coupons expire within a month. While we could use the 20 per month for metro, I’m not sure how we’d go using all the vouchers for other destinations around the state.

King
    Up

What put me off Fastway was that I would’ve had to have bought 20 coupons per zone and their coupons expire within a month.

The coupons don’t expire.

Their satchels are good. Does Couriers Please provide those?

silkinteriors
    • Total posts: 17
    Up
    King, post: 87162 wrote:
    The coupons don’t expire.

Their satchels are good. Does Couriers Please provide those?

Really? I got “Minimum purchase 20 labels, Minimum monthly usage 20 labels” from their website which sounds to me like they expire. I think I may have also called them to confirm (spoke to a few before settling on Couriers Please… so details are hazy). If it’s not the case, they have some serious issues with their web content and have lost a customer…

I don’t use satchels, but CP have them.

King
    Up

hmm yes i see that now – we have some labels that we may not use for 4 months, never been a problem. I’ll let our local guy know to see if they can have something more realistic, like never expire!!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.