Home – New Forums Marketing mastery Creating a Brand Vs Building a Business

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 16 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Steve_Minshall
    • Total posts: 518
    Up
    ::

Ok cats here’s some pigeons.

I think trying to create a brand is a waste of time and money. Which I think is what John is saying in the OP.

Although many people try I don’t think brand building as a goal in its own right is a viable option for small businesses.

I think a brand happens as a by-product of doing the right things in your business. Your products, service, professionalism, attention to detail, etc. This isn’t brand building this is building a business.

Sure nice logos and the like are part of the professionalism and may come to be the symbol people associate you with. But they are not the brand and do not create the brand. If you don’t have a nice logo and marketing material that means you lack professionalism. Therefore a logo is an essential part of your public face by default. However, you can have the worlds best logo and marketing material but if your business sucks you are not going to create a brand.

I see brand recognition as a reward that a business earns as a result of attending well to its business and customers. It is earned and it can not be manufactured no matter how much money you throw at it. Sure lots of big companies throw piles of money at their brands but what they are doing is brand maintenance not brand building. Mcburgers spend heaps on their brand but they got going because a couple of guys in California really knew how to run a burger joint and another smart guy worked out how to replicate it and the brand followed. They were then able to springboard off this brand to accelerate their growth.

A good example for the small business is Jim’s Mowing “the face that launched a 1000 trailers”. Jim Penman started off knocking on doors, mowing lawns building a single viable mowing round, then another and another. He worked the business not the brand but because customers liked what his business did and his marketing was effective the brand followed. For me the crucial thing is that his early marketing wasn’t done to build a brand it was done to find more customers.

In a nut shell a strong brand is a prize given to you for running a great business that people recognise. The market decides who gets to be a recognised brand not the business.

needtoknow
    • Total posts: 4
    Up
    ::

a brand is something that people with to much money mistake for there emotions.

good quality product at a good price the rest will take care of its self.

Viewing 2 posts - 16 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.