Home – New Forums Marketing mastery Creating a logo….

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 110 total)
  • Author
    Mrgraeme
    • Total posts: 25
    Up
    ::

Hey guys!

I am in the processing of trying to figure out a logo for my business, I was looking on shutterstock and i found an image i really liked, i contacted shutterstock about exclusivity of an image and they replied basically saying it can cost between 6K to 15K!!!

Now i don’t have that tucked away, so how can i go about this problem?
    Ie – how far do i have to change the idea of the image so that i can call it “my own”

Thanks for your time!

NathanB
    Participant
    • Total posts: 775
    Up

Jump on ODesk.com and post a job for your logo and for a mere 20-30 dollars you find a quality designer more than happy to produce something similar to the image you like.

JacquiPryor
    • Total posts: 2,344
    Up

how far do i have to change the idea of the image so that i can call it “my own”

There’s no certain answer to this question… Despite popular belief, changing someone’s copyright by 10% (or other percentages often thrown around) does not guarantee you escape copyright infringement. Copyright infringement (basically) occurs if you use (i.e. copy, reproduce, exploit etc) someone’s copyright or a substantial part of it without their permission. A substantial part does not have to be a big part but can be an important part of the original copyright work.

You can use the same concept/idea behind the image to create your own and that won’t be copyright infringement. (Copyright doesn’t protect ideas/concepts – but more the way a person chooses to express that idea, i.e. in an image). I would suggest if you like the idea of the image, you use that idea to generate your own unique image to use in your logo.

bridiej
    • Total posts: 1,097
    Up
    NathanB, post: 132741 wrote:
    Jump on ODesk.com and post a job for your logo and for a mere 20-30 dollars you find a quality designer more than happy to produce something similar to the image you like.

OR you could support your fellow Australian soloists by checking out the Flying Solo directory and contacting some Aussie-based designers…

TheGoldenGoose
    • Total posts: 860
    Up

You actually wouldn’t want to use an image that;

a) wasn’t vector (resizable)
    b) you could walk down the road and see someone else using the same image? – it defeats the purpose of having an identity designed for your business. If you were going to DIY, I would recommend that you don’t bother having a logo at all.

You can read some more on identity design here.

You see, grabbing some stock to make a ‘logo’ won’t do you any justice. Plan on landing some awesome clients? You need to look and act the part. It’s all about perception.

I’ve also gathered some information for startups and priorities when it comes to how I believe startup funds would be better spent here.

Best of luck with it! :)

marnieb
    • Total posts: 159
    Up

I’d recommend going back to basics and contacting someone who can help you with your brand as a whole, including your identity. It’s never a good idea to simply browse the web and find an image you think might look good as your logo IMO. Find a branding expert who can design something that’s going to work for you.

Stuart B
    • Total posts: 1,070
    Up

Contact someone to design an original logo for you. Solved 😎

NathanB
    Participant
    Up
    bridiej, post: 132784 wrote:
    OR you could support your fellow Australian soloists by checking out the Flying Solo directory and contacting some Aussie-based designers…

Although I doubt you will find anyone willing to work for the budget range I advised.

Stuart B
    Up
    NathanB, post: 132809 wrote:
    Although I doubt you will find anyone willing to work for the budget range I advised.

No that’s true, and not to say that it’s impossible to find someone who will do a good job on odesk for that price range, but when it comes to a logo design, you should probably raise the bar so that you can ensure you get it spot on.

That being said, if you spend $30 and you get rubbish, you will hav eonly lost $30 :)

NathanB
    Participant
    Up
    LemonChip, post: 132813 wrote:
    No that’s true, and not to say that it’s impossible to find someone who will do a good job on odesk for that price range, but when it comes to a logo design, you should probably raise the bar so that you can ensure you get it spot on.

That being said, if you spend $30 and you get rubbish, you will hav eonly lost $30 :)

I have to disagree with you on that LemonChip :)

FWIW, I see Odesk in the same light as Daily Deal websites in the sense that if you know what you are doing, it will work and work well. If you are in it for the wrong reasons, it could cost you your business and you’ll end up just another horror story for Today Tonight.

In regards to using Odesk, If you are unprepared, a poor communicator, fail to articulate your concept well and choose contractors flippantly – you will get a rubbish logo.

if you actually put in a genuine effort, you can work with some amazing talent. There isn’t a great deal of difference between the Odesk contractors and local designers IMHO, the differences that do exist aren’t always worth the paying 500%-1000% more per hour :)

I should probably add one more point before people jump on this. I am not talking about generating design or development work for existing million dollar businesses, nor am I talking about using Odesk contractors to create super complex online software, apps or other ground breaking innovative products. Some task do require more than what is on offer at Odesk but don’t right outsourcing off until you have throughly investigated it.

AGMBris
    • Total posts: 319
    Up

Hi

Yes I have experienced the same costly issues with purchasing images. I tend to agree with a couple of poster’s;

– start a fresh and consider the branding elements to create a unique and meaningful logo for yourself,
    – more left of field, but oDesk is a great option for you cost-wise. It takes some time to sort through the applicants but I have assisted my brother with logo design through oDesk and it has been easy and successful.

Good luck!

Stuart B
    Up
    NathanB, post: 132823 wrote:
    FWIW, I see Odesk in the same light as Daily Deal websites…

Firstly what does FWIW mean? lol

Secondly… Maybe I didn’t explain myself properly, but I was trying to agree with you in part.

I definitely think it’s worth giving it a go, especially if you don’t have the budget to work with someone locally, but as you said you have to go in with your eyes open and communication is the key.

If you’re going in just trying for bargain basement prices, you will get that, but you’ll also get a bargain basement product.

NathanB
    Participant
    Up
    LemonChip, post: 132831 wrote:
    Firstly what does FWIW mean? lol

FWIW = For what it’s worth.
    IMHO = In my humble opinion.

Yes, I am really that lazy that I abbreviate whole sentences, not just words. :)

LuckyDip
    • Total posts: 50
    Up
    NathanB, post: 132809 wrote:

If you’re lucky, you might get a free logo.

NathanB
    Participant
    Up
    LemonChip, post: 132831 wrote:
    If you’re going in just trying for bargain basement prices, you will get that, but you’ll also get a bargain basement product.

I think this part is where I got confused. I’m still not a 100% what you mean by this statement as I know I can definitely get a a quality original logo made on Odesk for $20 – which I consider bargain basement prices.

I think what you mean is, if I put up a logo job on Odesk for $20 and just hired the first guy to apply with out a second thought, I am playing Russian Roulette with my $20?

But if you take the time, interview, talk, build rapport, access feed back and view portfolios from many applicants you can easily find a winner.

Oh and when you do… that $20 logo will be as good as what you would have received from the local designer that charges $199+

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 110 total)
  • The topic ‘Creating a logo….’ is closed to new replies.