Home – New Forums Marketing mastery Creating a New Brand of Wine

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Sbezzy
    • Total posts: 15
    Up
    ::

Hello everyone,

I have been thinking about this Idea of creating a brand of wine, and marketing exclusively online. I know there are 1000’s of wineries who do it, but am wondering if there is potential for smart marketing, creating a niche within that space. can one do it without heaps of marketing budget, and avoiding the traditional wine distribution channel.

Please post your thoughts, much appreciated !

SaxonF
    • Total posts: 3
    Up

I think to be successful in such a competitive market you have to create a brand which is completely distinct and unique. In this case the brand obviously has to be compliant with the wine itself, the flavors and the character, and at the same time needs to be creative and different. A difficult task for sure.

In terms of marketing outside of the wine distribution channel, because it is such a competitive industry you would most likely need to throw some money into marketing to make yourself stand out.

For SEO purposes do a lot of research into keywords and competition, you need to find a balance between relevance, popularity, competition (less is better). https://adwords.google.com.au/select/KeywordToolExternal is a good place to start.

I would also recommend injecting yourself into all the wine communities (online and off) around Australia.

Here is an example of a Vineyard which has a strong and consistent brand.
    http://www.blackestate.co.nz/ I think its a pretty good model to go off.

Hope that helps!

joanbell
    • Total posts: 21
    Up
    Sbezzy, post: 23305 wrote:
    Hello everyone,

Please post your thoughts, much appreciated !

Whoa! you really are taking on the big boys and whilst I would normally say “go for it” I think the question that comes to mind is Why? I always say if the Why is big enough and important enough to you then the how will be mere detail.

My partner does a lot of work for vineyards http://www.stonemasoncarver.com and the reason they get this work done is to attract more visitors to their Cellar Door which is part of the whole wine experience. They can then order online at a later stage if they so desire.

It also works in reverse. They see the picture of the Cellar Door and winery and this is what they are attracted to. I am not sure that buyers would be willing to spend money on wine they haven’t tasted. Would you?

Can you do some kind of survey amongst some wine drinking groups etc?

I wish you well and would love to know how it all turns out.

Sbezzy
    Up

Thank You Joanne and Saxon ! Appreciate your thoughts -The idea of creating a brand by itself is to cater to a charity cause. I do buy wine I haven’t tasted, but the inspiration came from people buying christmas cards from UNICIEF or World Vision etc. What if someone sold them a case of wine, and undertook to give away part of the sale price towards the charity that is being sponsored by that Varietal?

The Big Boys are driven by a sole objective – profit
    My thoughts are driven by a dual purpose – I survive and also create something to benefit humanity in general by sharing my returns for noble causes!

Does it make sense?

mike@engagemarketing
    • Total posts: 300
    Up

I think that you can really create something here but it won’t be easy. Average marketing won’t do it but your off to a great start with recognising that you need a niche (in your case, the wine for charity).

Instantly you have a window for free publicity and a story to tell. If you end up being committed for this project i’d be happy to lend a helping hand (free of charge!).

Sbezzy
    Up

Thank You Mike, I genuinely appreciate your thoughts. I will keep you posted how I go.

Jake@EmroyPrint
    • Total posts: 1,117
    Up

I agree, I think you might have something that’s rather news worthy.

There are some free, effective forms of advertising …

Release a lot of press releases around Christmas / easter etc. I’m sure you’ll manage to get a write up.

Also start a twtter / facebook / digg etc account.

Jake

Astrid
    • Total posts: 459
    Up

Hi

You might want to get in contact with Frank from giftswithmeaning.com.au
    for a brainstorming.

I’d put my hand up for organic wine ;-) since I start to develop allergic reactions to the preservatives in standard wine.

Astrid

joanbell
    • Total posts: 21
    Up

Thanks for clarifying that. Anything we can do to help charitable causes is worthwhile and judging from the helpful replies may also be very do-able.

Joan

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.