Home – New Forums Marketing mastery Creating awareness for a new business / website

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    BrettM33
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,372
    Up
    ::

Hey guys….. with regards to my other business I am launching within the next 3 months or so with a group of others (a niche auction/marketplace based site) I thought it would be a good idea to create awareness before we launch to create a little bit of a buzz, similar how tv series or movies are promoted in mass far earlier before they are released, so as to keep in peoples heads.

Now, for starters, one of the people in our group produces a industry magazine and I had the idea of putting a big ad in there that either said something like..

“BUSINESS NAME” IS COMING!

{Info about what the site is going to be}

Perhaps place the ad in a few spots to make sure we keep it in peoples minds.

Another idea was simply to just put..

“BUSINESS NAME” IS COMING!

That’s it. Yes, it doesn’t give the user any idea WTH it is, but it keeps the site name in their head because they’re wondering “WTH is {business name}!?!?”. I’m sure you have seen this technique used before.

Now, another person in the group doesn’t really like the latter idea since it doesn’t say much or give any indication on what the site/business is…… so I just wanted to get some advice from people with marketing experience.

Thanks a lot!

websitedesigner
    • Total posts: 917
    Up

This kind of seems like a tactic for big companies with big budgets. I would be focusing more on tactics that you can measure personally. How are you ever going to know if this was a waste of money?

If you go off the assumption that people will have to see you 13 times (or whatever the latest wisdom says the number is) before they will buy something then how many of these ads would you have to run to get one customer?

I’m voting for no, what do others think?

BrettM33
    Participant
    Up
    websitedesigner, post: 116130 wrote:
    This kind of seems like a tactic for big companies with big budgets. I would be focusing more on tactics that you can measure personally. How are you ever going to know if this was a waste of money?

If you go off the assumption that people will have to see you 13 times (or whatever the latest wisdom says the number is) before they will buy something then how many of these ads would you have to run to get one customer?

I’m voting for no, what do others think?

Well, the magazine ads are obviously not going to cost us any money, so really, it’s just deciding between the two options I mentioned which is better.

However, if we really want to create awareness, then we would also be looking to do this promotion outside of the magazine, and that, yes, will cost money.

Brett N/Nerds Computer
    • Total posts: 76
    Up

Hi Condor,

Unless you have a massive budget this is going to be a very expensive strategy that is unlikely to generate any results. People are saturated with marketing messages. Some say more than 1,000 per day. If you just say the business name then what is going to make your target customers remember your business’s name?

Just my opinion.

Brett

MatthewKeath
    • Total posts: 3,184
    Up
    Brett N/Nerds Computer, post: 116765 wrote:
    Hi Condor,

Unless you have a massive budget this is going to be a very expensive strategy that is unlikely to generate any results. People are saturated with marketing messages. Some say more than 1,000 per day. If you just say the business name then what is going to make your target customers remember your business’s name?

Just my opinion.

Brett
    As he mentioned, this won’t cost him money, it’s a choice between two different options.

Personally, I like it! You could be a little more creative, changing the message each ad and include a URL. The URL doesn’t have to be the actual site, someone fun would be a good idea. Include a short bulb about the coming site and a email capture form to get people to get an email when it’s ready to go.

BrettM33
    Participant
    Up

Good ideas there Matt – thanks! :)

JohnSheppard
    • Total posts: 940
    Up
    MatthewKeath, post: 116775 wrote:
    this won’t cost him money

Yeah it will….Its already cost him the 5 minutes to write this thread and think about it.

They could have been billable hours…

I agree with the others…bad strategy…better to get one that works first….

DavidM
    • Total posts: 329
    Up

It sounds like you’ve got nothing to tell them, so why distract yourself in coming up with concepts and messages at this stage. Keep your concerntration on the launch date.

Also, the whole coming soon could make people wonder what is taking so long (especially if you encounter further delays). But regardless, if you aren’t saying’ anything there’s nothing to embed in the potential customers mind, and so nothing to influence them with.

BrettM33
    Participant
    Up
    DavidM, post: 116958 wrote:
    It sounds like you’ve got nothing to tell them, so why distract yourself in coming up with concepts and messages at this stage. Keep your concerntration on the launch date.

Also, the whole coming soon could make people wonder what is taking so long (especially if you encounter further delays). But regardless, if you aren’t saying’ anything there’s nothing to embed in the potential customers mind, and so nothing to influence them with.

To the contrary, we have plenty to tell them. :) But trying to create a technique that will stick in the customers heads and start wondering when we are going to launch.

AgentMail
    • Total posts: 1,741
    Up

Hi Condor,

I think it is difficult to give a definitive answer with knowing the service/product your are offering, or what the industry magazine is.

I know you have been keeping it close to your heart while you get things sorted, and I understand that, but it does make it difficult for us to give you the right advice.

I think the type of marketing you are talking about would work for a consumer oriented product, in a magazine that has distribution to a younger audience. Young people tend to be more inquisitive and pay attention to this kind of ‘grabbing’ technique.

On the other hand, if you are selling dental products and the industry magazine is to dentists, this sort of campaign would be a waste of time, as you need to provide information, details etc. – they are not going to waste their time trying to understand what message you are putting across.

Bottom line – if you understand your target audience, you should be able to work out which will work for you.

Failing that, if you have space to put two ads in the one magazine, do an A-B test to see which one works better, perhaps using two different URLs as suggested above.

BrettM33
    Participant
    Up

Thanks Agent!

Not sure if it helps, but we’re in the collectables field.

digital101
    • Total posts: 3
    Up
    AgentMail, post: 116994 wrote:
    Hi Condor,

I think it is difficult to give a definitive answer with knowing the service/product your are offering, or what the industry magazine is.

I know you have been keeping it close to your heart while you get things sorted, and I understand that, but it does make it difficult for us to give you the right advice.

I think the type of marketing you are talking about would work for a consumer oriented product, in a magazine that has distribution to a younger audience. Young people tend to be more inquisitive and pay attention to this kind of ‘grabbing’ technique.

On the other hand, if you are selling dental products and the industry magazine is to dentists, this sort of campaign would be a waste of time, as you need to provide information, details etc. – they are not going to waste their time trying to understand what message you are putting across.

Bottom line – if you understand your target audience, you should be able to work out which will work for you.

Failing that, if you have space to put two ads in the one magazine, do an A-B test to see which one works better, perhaps using two different URLs as suggested above.

I totally agree AgentMail.

A/B Testing would be needed to identify if your hitting the target with different messages.
    I would also try and identify a keyword or phrase that is relevant to that particular niche your targeting. Create a fear of missing out a few weeks prior to the exact launch date and give something away. The simple fear of missing out installs a trigger at our sub-conscience level and one people will remember and not easily forget..

tradr
    • Total posts: 45
    Up

I have concerns if you do not know which products or area of business you will be operating in.. Marketing for X can be expensive

Are you simply selling online or is it a physical business?

John

BrettM33
    Participant
    Up
    tradr, post: 118643 wrote:
    I have concerns if you do not know which products or area of business you will be operating in.. Marketing for X can be expensive

Are you simply selling online or is it a physical business?

John

No, just online. :)

SavvySME
    • Total posts: 201
    Up

Hi,

This is a hit and miss technique as we have discovered ourselves. We are in a similar situation as you, we are currently trying to get moer awareness out there and we have a landing page to capture any customers that are interested in using our site early since we are not planning to release the site to the general public for a little while yet.

We first started giving people a vague idea of the concept and I don’t believe it worked very well.

We are now testing a page that has a more targeted approach and gives more information, you can see it in the link below.

We found we got a better response by being more specific, so maybe adding a line like “Are you a stamp collector?” “be the first to grab your hands on XXX rare stamps with COMPANY NAME”.

Be specific with your target audience and be specific with a product they might want to get their hands on or even presenta range. You may not speak to as many people by narrowing your target audience, but you will resonate with them at a much deeper level, which means you actually convert them. instead of the scattergun approach where you aim for everyone and hit no one.

Just a suggestion :) Best of luck on your website and launch! Great to see some fellow travellers facing similar issues!

Thanks for reading,

Wendy

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.