Home – New Forums Marketing mastery Creative Covers in need of sales and marketing assistance!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Blake Wallace
    • Total posts: 10
    Up
    ::

Hey all I have recently started a new business selling custom phone covers. I want to give you a brief description just so its easier to suggest marketing strategies.

So the idea is a phone or tablet plain white cover and the user is able to draw or write anything they like using our permanent markers provided and then if they wish to change the design they can simply use our removal spray and it wipes clean. but the drawings will not wash off with water or rub clean. only the solution can remove it. It took me a very long time testing the correct components without it damaging the plastic, etc. The idea is fully protected with the appropriate copyright laws/ IP / Trademark, etc luckily.

I have a facebook page and website that i have been doing fairly well on and my facebook page is growing approximately 100-150 likes per day. I am now looking at expanding to the retail market selling our products wholesale and just need to know some good ideas on doing so. I have most of the requirements in place except for the barcode system which is very simple and then i am ready to sell to retail outlets.

So my question is – what is the most efficient way of marketing and selling my products wholesale and even expanding it further by me selling retail direct to customers using it.

I estimate that every month the page should receive 3000+ likes / month (not taking into consideration that larger traffic attracts more likes). And fortunately i have had large facebook icons helping me promote it.

The details of Creative Covers are http://www.creativecov.com and http://www.facebook.com/creativecov

Any advice or connections would be greatly appreciated.

:)

King Creative
    • Total posts: 27
    Up

Hi Blake,

I like the look of your product. Getting artists to create designs for you is a great way to get exposure. You could also give these custom designed covers away on a facebook comp as well to build engagement on your page. Another idea would be to get your facebook fans to design some artwork for a cover. The person with the winning design can receive a Creative Cover pack.

In my experience large retailers require a full marketing plan before they will even consider stocking a product. Depending on the retailer you will also have to pay an amount of money to get your product instore and on to the shelves. You may also need to pay for a fit out or display stand etc.

If you have the funds to go into retailer that’s great, otherwise I suggest sticking with online sales. Social media is a great way to promote your brand at very minimal cost. One Australian company that’s had heaps of success through online shopping is http://blackmilkclothing.com/. They haven’t done any traditional advertising and rely mostly on social media advertising and word of mouth/blogs etc. You could possibly emulate their formula.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,
    Amber

Blake Wallace
    Up
    King Creative, post: 186022 wrote:
    Hi Blake,

I like the look of your product. Getting artists to create designs for you is a great way to get exposure. You could also give these custom designed covers away on a facebook comp as well to build engagement on your page. Another idea would be to get your facebook fans to design some artwork for a cover. The person with the winning design can receive a Creative Cover pack.

In my experience large retailers require a full marketing plan before they will even consider stocking a product. Depending on the retailer you will also have to pay an amount of money to get your product instore and on to the shelves. You may also need to pay for a fit out or display stand etc.

If you have the funds to go into retailer that’s great, otherwise I suggest sticking with online sales. Social media is a great way to promote your brand at very minimal cost. One Australian company that’s had heaps of success through online shopping is http://blackmilkclothing.com/. They haven’t done any traditional advertising and rely mostly on social media advertising and word of mouth/blogs etc. You could possibly emulate their formula.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,
    Amber

great thanks alot mate. I am looking into the display case idea, I can find fairly cheap ones on ebay,, etc, and to deck them out with my stock isnt to much of a problem. Do you think it will require barcoding?

King Creative
    • Total posts: 27
    Up

Hey Blake,

Not too sure about barcoding. I would assume that you would need to put barcodes on your packaging if you will be selling in any retailers.

Cheers,

Jenny Spring
    • Total posts: 597
    Up
    Blake Wallace, post: 185913 wrote:
    I have a facebook page and website that i have been doing fairly well on and my facebook page is growing approximately 100-150 likes per day. I am now looking at expanding to the retail market selling our products wholesale and just need to know some good ideas on doing so. I have most of the requirements in place except for the barcode system which is very simple and then i am ready to sell to retail outlets.

So my question is – what is the most efficient way of marketing and selling my products wholesale and even expanding it further by me selling retail direct to customers using it.

I estimate that every month the page should receive 3000+ likes / month (not taking into consideration that larger traffic attracts more likes). And fortunately i have had large facebook icons helping me promote it.

The details of Creative Covers are http://www.creativecov.com and http://www.facebook.com/creativecov

Finding a good agent in each state will be most effective. I would recommend you also contacting stores directly yourself as well. It is important to have experience at ‘the coalface’ so you can hear first hand what shops like and don’t like.

You can’t tell a shop how to merchandise, you can make stands available, but you can’t force them to use the stands. Often the stands are an additional purchase, or availalbe when you purchase $x amount.

If you want to build your online business, you need to get out in the world. Doing some direct events, markets, trade fairs etc. and listening to what the feedback is about your product. Along with that, understanding the profile of the person who is most interested is important. Then from there, you build a marketing roadmap of how to reach that person.

For example, what social media are they on, what magazines do they read, what clubs and hobbies do they have? The roadmap should contain potential joint ventures and also companies to partner with.

Hope this gets you started.

jenny

Blake Wallace
    Up
    Jenny Spring, post: 186187 wrote:
    Finding a good agent in each state will be most effective. I would recommend you also contacting stores directly yourself as well. It is important to have experience at ‘the coalface’ so you can hear first hand what shops like and don’t like.

You can’t tell a shop how to merchandise, you can make stands available, but you can’t force them to use the stands. Often the stands are an additional purchase, or availalbe when you purchase $x amount.

If you want to build your online business, you need to get out in the world. Doing some direct events, markets, trade fairs etc. and listening to what the feedback is about your product. Along with that, understanding the profile of the person who is most interested is important. Then from there, you build a marketing roadmap of how to reach that person.

For example, what social media are they on, what magazines do they read, what clubs and hobbies do they have? The roadmap should contain potential joint ventures and also companies to partner with.

Hope this gets you started.

jenny

Hey Jenny thank you so much for your advice, you seem to have a lot of knowledge about growing products! I will definitely be implementing some of your strategies :)

Blake Wallace
    Up

Hey Amber i was thinking about what you said with the black milk clothing stores formula, just wondering how i might be able to find out how they got so successful? do you mean just by me asking them directly? or do they literally have an information outlet on how they became successful?
    kind regards

Brooke Curline
    • Total posts: 120
    Up
    Blake Wallace, post: 185913 wrote:
    Hey all I have recently started a new business selling custom phone covers. I want to give you a brief description just so its easier to suggest marketing strategies.

So the idea is a phone or tablet plain white cover and the user is able to draw or write anything they like using our permanent markers provided and then if they wish to change the design they can simply use our removal spray and it wipes clean. but the drawings will not wash off with water or rub clean. only the solution can remove it. It took me a very long time testing the correct components without it damaging the plastic, etc. The idea is fully protected with the appropriate copyright laws/ IP / Trademark, etc luckily.

Hi Blake,
    I think your product is great and the opportunities are numerous.
    If you do want to get into the big retailers, bear in mind the big rebates that they expect in return – these will be anything from 10-17%, so this will need to be built into your pricing and yes you will definitely need barcodes on your packaging if you want to go this way. Unfortunately your price then inflates too much and your product seems less appealing.
    Do you or any of your friends or colleagues happen to know anyone remotely well known (particularly in a sporting code) – for example, if you were able to get a couple of covers signed by NRL players and offer them as a prize for the most shares etc on your facebook page.
    I know a couple of large on-line sites that would love to run with your product although again – barcoding required.
    Good luck
    Cheers
    Brooke

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up
    Blake Wallace, post: 186501 wrote:
    Hey Amber i was thinking about what you said with the black milk clothing stores formula, just wondering how i might be able to find out how they got so successful? do you mean just by me asking them directly? or do they literally have an information outlet on how they became successful?
    kind regards

Hi Blake,

As it happens we have a podcast about BlackMilk here on the site. Have a listen and I think you’ll start to get some ideas about what worked for them.

I also saw the guys interviewed in a magazine that goes with the Financial Review (I think) a few weeks ago, so perhaps see if you can track that down at your library or on the Fin Review website.

Good luck,
    Jayne

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.