Home – New Forums Other discussions Crisis management

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    bridiej
    • Total posts: 1,097
    Up
    ::

For those of you that don’t know, on 10th February I had emergency surgery for a perforated bowel. After 9 days in hospital, I came home last Monday but am unable to do very much at all while I recover. Apparently I have Crohn’s disease, so there is a very real possibility this may not be the only surgery I will require (although I’m hoping that it is!).

Thankfully my clients are very understanding and obviously appreciate the work I do, as all of them have made alternative arrangements for the short term until I am better.

However, I would like to put in place some measures so that should anything like this happen in the future work can go on as normal. I’d love to hear from other soloists what preparations you have made to cover you in times of emergency. :)

Greg_M
    • Total posts: 1,691
    Up

Sorry to hear you’ve been out of action, hope its sorts itself out soon.

A solution I’ve used a few times, is good networks, networks based on trust and mutual respect as well as skill.

A few years back, when I was still working on the tools regularly I was laying stone for a large new residence, short version is that I stuffed the rotor cuff in my right shoulder, struggled to hold a cup of coffee, so 20kg stone blocks weren’t happening.

A couple of calls and my network kicked in, within 48 hours I had the resources I needed to finish the contract, no questions asked, they even financed themselves to suit my cashflow from the contract.

One of these guys now uses my measuring services occasionally, I haven’t sent him an invoice in a year … what goes around comes around.

Working online it might be a bit tougher to establish networks that go beyond the piffle of social media but I reckon it could be worth it. If you have somewhere to handball your workload it takes a lot of pressure off what’s already a stressful situation, and holds some value in your business till you can make better decisions or return to work.

Hope you get a solution that suits … better still that your health returns in full and you can do it yourself.

Healthy Personal Finances
    • Total posts: 194
    Up

Hi,
    I hope that your health continues to improve.
    What it sounds like you need is a financial health check for your business.
    Ask your self questions such as:
    Who will look after the business if I am not here ?
    Will insurance cover any costs I incur?
    What will I do with excess stock or current clients if I can’t work tomorrow ?
    What will happen to my family if I no longer have an income ?
    Do you need to update your Will (sorry for being morbid, but this is quite often an overlooked fact once people setup a business and have a family that their will is not reflecting their current situation.

Until you answer these questions (I am sure there are more) it is hard to make a plan for the future.
    I suggest you write the answers down and then think about who will run the business (and do they want to run it as that could be a different answer), where will your income come from, how would you pay the bills, who would look after you.
    Succession management is a vital part of any business. It just means you are thinking about the future and should be seen as a positive process.

Hope this helps and your health returns to full swing.
    Cheers
    Richard & Stacey

The Copy Chick
    • Total posts: 963
    Up

Oh wow, Bridie… I hope you recover soon.

Funny, I was just thinking about this yesterday and considering what would happen if I was out of action for a length of time, or worse.

Given I’m part of such a brilliant copywriting community, I thought it might be worth having something in place where my nominated contact person could notify clients of the situation and field out exitsting projects to these copywriters. It’s a topic I was going to raise this week in our forum to see what others had in place.

My husband’s work is also looking like closing toward the end of this year, so I’m going to have to think about the financial ramifications if we can no longer rely on his current salary. Because I can’t get income protection insurance for my main health concern, I’ve started putting 10% of my earnings in to a high interest account, but that’s probably not enough for the short-term.

Great question.

All the best,

Anna :)

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up

Hi Bridie,

I’m really sorry to hear that you’ve been so sick and hope you’re feeling better with each passing day.

I wrote an article about the perils of being even mildly unwell as a soloist a few weeks ago, and was blown away by all the responses it received. You might like to check them out here: The soloist’s sick day.

Sending healing energy your way,
    Jayne

yourvirtualboard
    • Total posts: 569
    Up

That is a bit to handle and I hope you are soon in the best health you can be.

michnichols
    • Total posts: 236
    Up

Hi Bridie,

I hope you are on the mend.

It is a good discussion point, and not a situation you would always think about. I started my business whilst recovering from a major operation last year, but had funds to draw on. I have income protection, but I need to go and check the fine print now to see if I would be covered as a small business owner.

I think building a network that is supportive is a great start

Hope things are looking up.

Michelle

bridiej
    Up

Thank you for your replies, it has certainly given me a few ideas :)

This couldn’t come at a worse time, as the company my husband works for are feeling the pinch and he now has to take two unpaid days a month… It never rains but it pours, as my wise old boss used to say!

Still, there are people in worse situations, so just got to keep positive I guess.

Thanks again.

Greg_M
    • Total posts: 1,691
    Up

Seems to be a bit of an epidemic of people being laid off, or given reduced hours at the moment (certainly around my way at least).

Maybe you can teach your husband to type, kill two birds with one stone :).

bridiej
    Up

If only transcription was that easy I certainly would :)

Might get him helping with some admin stuff though.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.