Home – New Forums Tell me straight… Critique please … :)

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    bradzo
    • Total posts: 335
    Up
    ::

Hi everyone

After ages in the wilderness, I seem to have created an online something… :)

If you were a real estate agent looking for a personally branded mobile app (not rea or domain or business) then here is something….

My step-daughter asked for an app, so that’s where it all started.

Without further ado, can I get your thoughts on this? ( I know not a lot of you are real estate agents, but still … imagine you were… :)

http://realestateagentapps.net.au/

Oh, and at this point, because I’m crap at CSS etc etc, it only looks quite good on a wide screen desktop monitor…. :)

Um also, the “app” within the ‘phone’ graphic actually works so you can interact with it.

Thanks in advance for your comments, and I appreciate your feedback.

Thank you all.

Brad

Greg_M
    • Total posts: 1,691
    Up
    bradzo, post: 262178, member: 3742 wrote:
    Hi everyone

After ages in the wilderness, I seem to have created an online something… :)

If you were a real estate agent looking for a personally branded mobile app (not rea or domain or business) then here is something….

My step-daughter asked for an app, so that’s where it all started.

Without further ado, can I get your thoughts on this? ( I know not a lot of you are real estate agents, but still … imagine you were… :)

http://realestateagentapps.net.au/

Oh, and at this point, because I’m crap at CSS etc etc, it only looks quite good on a wide screen desktop monitor…. :)

Um also, the “app” within the ‘phone’ graphic actually works so you can interact with it.

Thanks in advance for your comments, and I appreciate your feedback.

Thank you all.

Brad

I think the app is good and could probably adapt to plenty of professionals etc.

A couple of things re the actual website;

It needs links between the pages, I had to use the back button to retrace my steps…not a good look imo.

As mentioned the CSS breakpoints need some work, currently pretty janky in my browser (all ok at actual mobile size).

Maybe you’re onto it already but I’d have a serious look at “CSS Grid” (start with Mozilla developer thingy or Jen Simmons videos for an overview), especially if CSS is not your thing and you want bullet proof break points with almost no code…it uses native browser API’s and the browser does the work, not lots of code with floats etc and almost no media queries needed if your code is clean.

This bit is personal opinion…

I’d have the embeded app “front and centre” (above the fold at all breakpoints) with an obvious “try me” pitch. Currently it falls to the bottom of the page in mobile view with too much to scroll through to even get to it.

if you hadn’t mentioned that it worked in your post I probably would have assumed it was an image and not played with it…and I figure the “app” is your USP.

Good luck with it.

Cheers

bb1
    Participant
    • Total posts: 4,485
    Up

clicked on more info, and it came up with if you are looking for something its not found, wouldn’t allow me to go back

You tell me why I need an app, and all the ”supposed” benefits of it, but you fail to tell me what the app does.

What am I paying $1500 bucks plus $150 a month for. Just so I can have it in my pocket, I cant find any other reason I should have it

It just looks and feels like the dogs breakfast.

Love this line – We’re committed to providing the best possible experience for a set price., well based on your website I wouldn’t think that is the case. Broken links, no going backwards. Why would I download your app if you cant get your website looking good and working, sorry thats you advertisement to the world.

bradzo
    Up

Thanks Greg, and thanks Bert.

Needs work then? :)

Bert – the More Info was my test for a 404 page – I hadn’t added that page yet but that proves the 404 page worked :) Obviously, even that text needs to change.

Interesting that you both found that you couldn’t “go back” – not quite sure how you found that difficult – the normal back button on the browser does what one would expect? (oh unless you were viewing on mobile – I need to check that)

re the app benefits and pricing popups – should all the content go into popups rather than separate pages if “going back” seems to be an issue?

It *is* a dogs breakfast, so how can I make it better?

Bert – good point re “just so I can have it in my pocket” – its not actually for the real estate person themselves. Its really a tool to give away (so to speak) to their prospects – buyers, vendors etc – rather than competing with realestate.com.au’s app, the real estate salesperson can (hopefully) build a network of prospects with their own app. The whole thing started from my step-daughter wanting an app of her own.

Thanks for pointing out the bleeding obvious though with regard to “why” – I tend to get caught up in the dev side of things, and spoil the selling side of things.

If someone can help me with the selling side of things, I’d really appreciate it – willing to pay to get this thing moving.

Greg – it started as a Bootstrap template – the background video really caught my eye and it matched well with Georgia’s app – with the hamburger menu bar in the top left hand corner, being drawn by the lady in the video.

I’ll add some extra text somewhere that says “try me!” because I agree, it isn’t immediately obvious that its not just an image.

I’m not sure how I would go about changing it so that it shows the above the fold – on a wide desktop, the grid layout is 6,3,3 Bootstrap cols – and I chose that configuration to show the video playing and placing the “drawing” in the first 3 cols, and the second 3 cols to show the embedded app in the phone image. Not really sure how I’d change the layout of that to make it “make sense” on mobile. Maybe I need a completely separate layout for mobile… hmmm.

Thanks very much to both of you – I really appreciate your comments.

bb1
    Participant
    • Total posts: 4,485
    Up
    bradzo, post: 262184, member: 3742 wrote:
    Interesting that you both found that you couldn’t “go back” – not quite sure how you found that difficult – the normal back button on the browser does what one would expect? (oh unless you were viewing on mobile – I need to check that)

I was on the laptop using IE10 (or whatever it’s called now), and the back button on the browser didn’t work on at least 3 pages. I couldn’t understand why, as that shouldnt be controlled by your webpage.

re the app benefits and pricing popups – should all the content go into popups rather than separate pages if “going back” seems to be an issue?

Just fix the going back issue I guess. Maybe you need to partner with Greg, get him to build the website and you do the app.

A good question, I can tell when something is wrong, but I couldn’t come up with a better way, as an example if someone uses the wrong grammar I can pick it up, but couldn’t tell them how it should be writ. . Maybe look at how other websites are built, use a better template, think as a user

Bert – good point re “just so I can have it in my pocket” – its not actually for the real estate person themselves. Its really a tool to give away (so to speak) to their prospects – buyers, vendors etc – rather than competing with realestate.com.au’s app, the real estate salesperson can (hopefully) build a network of prospects with their own app. The whole thing started from my step-daughter wanting an app of her own.

I think that was my problem, coming into it, I had no idea what you were offering or why, and when I left I had even less idea what you were offering or why. Like you said, maybe you need to stick to building the app and have someone else market it.
    And I was left thinking wow thats a lot of $’s for confusion

Us technical people are shocking sales people. edit, but just an aside a lot of the sales people I have seen are also shocking sales people.

Greg_M
    Up
    Thanks Greg, and thanks Bert.

Needs work then? :)

Bert – the More Info was my test for a 404 page – I hadn’t added that page yet but that proves the 404 page worked :) Obviously, even that text needs to change.

Thanks for pointing out the bleeding obvious though with regard to “why” – I tend to get caught up in the dev side of things, and spoil the selling side of things.

If someone can help me with the selling side of things, I’d really appreciate it – willing to pay to get this thing moving.

Greg – it started as a Bootstrap template – the background video really caught my eye and it matched well with Georgia’s app – with the hamburger menu bar in the top left hand corner, being drawn by the lady in the video.

I’ll add some extra text somewhere that says “try me!” because I agree, it isn’t immediately obvious that its not just an image.

I’m not sure how I would go about changing it so that it shows the above the fold – on a wide desktop, the grid layout is 6,3,3 Bootstrap cols – and I chose that configuration to show the video playing and placing the “drawing” in the first 3 cols, and the second 3 cols to show the embedded app in the phone image. Not really sure how I’d change the layout of that to make it “make sense” on mobile. Maybe I need a completely separate layout for mobile… hmmm.

Thanks very much to both of you – I really appreciate your comments.

The background video would have caught my eye too, it says a lot about what your doing…but it’s lost quickly at a smaller browser size (and the message it sends). It Should be possible to downsize it (without losing the aspect ratio) to at least iPad size before it becomes useless as a background.

Without analysing your CSS closely, the following is a bit of a punt…just put the embedded app in the first column, currently you have md-6, I’m a bit rusty on Bootstrap but it should be possible to resize it as lg-12 md-6 sm-12 (or something similar) in the same div (so it stays full width below tablet size without a media query)…then “center” it all.

It feels like you’ve done your layout on a bigger screen and then tried to adapt to mobile. I’ve found it easier to start layouts at mobile then build out because mobile is where your initial contact/search normally starts…bigger screens come later/evolve.

I don’t find using a back button intuitive on desktop etc, passable on mobile but when using a trackpad it’s “too far” to the back button, a simple “return to where ever ” link is what I look for personally…if a potential client has to search for navigation directions I think they’ll bail out pretty quickly.

Hope that’s some help, the idea is sound imo but the UI needs work.

Greg_M
    Up
    bb1, post: 262185, member: 53375 wrote:
    I was on the laptop using IE10 (or whatever it’s called now), and the back button on the browser didn’t work on at least 3 pages. I couldn’t understand why, as that shouldnt be controlled by your webpage.

Just fix the going back issue I guess. Maybe you need to partner with Greg, get him to build the website and you do the app.

A good question, I can tell when something is wrong, but I couldn’t come up with a better way, as an example if someone uses the wrong grammar I can pick it up, but couldn’t tell them how it should be writ. . Maybe look at how other websites are built, use a better template, think as a user

I think that was my problem, coming into it, I had no idea what you were offering or why, and when I left I had even less idea what you were offering or why. Like you said, maybe you need to stick to building the app and have someone else market it.
    And I was left thinking wow thats a lot of $’s for confusion

Us technical people are shocking sales people. edit, but just an aside a lot of the sales people I have seen are also shocking sales people.

Bit of a guess, but sometimes the back button won’t work because the whole deal is coded in JavaScript which doesn’t track “history” out of the box. It can be fixed but needs a specific work around in the app itself.

bradzo
    Up

Greg – yes, its a Meteor app so, yes, using JS to render the HTML templates. One of the biggest reasons I use Meteor is that it’s a complete end-to-end tool – all the way from front end to back end and being able to build for web, iOS and Android from a single code base – ie: just HTML, CSS and Javascript (and Cordova plugins for native mobile of course) And then the ecosystem provides deploy tools too – this app is currently running on 2 EC2 instances behind a load balancer (I’m thinking ahead of time!) and secured by an AWS certificate to give me https. (some of the content is loaded over http from third party websites I lose the green secured lock thing in the browser, but anyway … )

Bert – yes hah! I see grammar issues as well, all the time! :) Yes, I agree, tech people are crap marketers! Note to self: must make more of an effort to put myself in user shoes…

Thanks both of you – I really appreciate your comments.

I’m off working on it now …

Greg_M
    Up
    bradzo, post: 262192, member: 3742 wrote:
    Greg – yes, its a Meteor app so, yes, using JS to render the HTML templates. One of the biggest reasons I use Meteor is that it’s a complete end-to-end tool – all the way from front end to back end and being able to build for web, iOS and Android from a single code base – ie: just HTML, CSS and Javascript (and Cordova plugins for native mobile of course) And then the ecosystem provides deploy tools too – this app is currently running on 2 EC2 instances behind a load balancer (I’m thinking ahead of time!) and secured by an AWS certificate to give me https. (some of the content is loaded over http from third party websites I lose the green secured lock thing in the browser, but anyway … )

Bert – yes hah! I see grammar issues as well, all the time! :) Yes, I agree, tech people are crap marketers! Note to self: must make more of an effort to put myself in user shoes…

Thanks both of you – I really appreciate your comments.

I’m off working on it now …

Nice to know Meteor is still happening, these kind of frameworks are a great way to tackle efficiently multiple code bases.

Kudos if you can figure out the pricing model on EC2 etc…every time I’ve touched AWS I seem to shoot myself in the foot with pricing gotchas.

Personally I’ve been doing a bit with Quasar Framework which is in some ways similar to Meteor, but I only use it for web based stuff not hybrid mobile (but you can).

I run it, or any VueJS based app on Google Firebase it does the lot (and free up to about 100k hits per mth).

Nice to know you’re still “all technical like that”. Keep up the good work. If you get stuck with the CSS PM me and I’ll try to do better than the gobbledy gook in my previous positioning tutorial :)

bradzo
    Up

We use Meteor at work, and its been fantastic for us.

re EC2 – well, I can afford it at the moment with FT job – last month’s bill was about $100 – 2 x EC2’s for realestateagentapps, 1 x EC2 for self-hosted MongoDB instance, 1 x EC2 for Georgia’s app.

Quasar looks good – Meteor has Vue integration too – will have a further look into it – thanks for the tip!

Yes, Firebase is on my radar as well – looking to use it to send push notifications to both iOS and Android and get away from Apple’s certs – that is a real pain.

Thanks for the offer of help – will gladly do so! I really appreciate it.

Peter – FS Administrator
    • Total posts: 1,889
    Up

Hey Bradzo,

Great to see you around and nice idea!

I’m approaching this from a marketing point of view (not tech) but Greg and Bert have already raised some good points in terms of some of the detail.

As I think you’ve indicated, it appears to me that you’ve spent a lot of time carefully crafting/designing the app itself (the demo looks brilliant!) but not invested as much time or thought into the sales/marketing page.

As has been suggested, I’d have the trial demo front and centre on the website with the primary goal being getting prospective agents to ‘play’ around with Georgia’s demo app and see how slick it is. Then, the message might be along the lines of ‘do you want an app like this for you?’. On subsequent pages or lower down you can provide more info on benefits/features once you’ve got people interested.

The concept of being able to claim your name/app is clever, but I tried a few names and they didn’t look anywhere near as slick as Georgia’s demo (no doubt because you would customise each one and populate with content), so I’d be inclined to just put your best foot forward with the demo.

I’m imaging that face to face you could sell the idea by just putting your phone in people’s hands and getting them to interact with a demo app. People might soon see how theirs would look/help. So the website is a virtual version of that process.

My two cents :) Look forward to seeing how it develops.

Cheers, Peter

bradzo
    Up

Thanks Peter!

I really like your idea – I hadn’t thought of that process – I was tied to the initial Bootstrap theme I found, with the video of the lady drawing an app on paper…. that’s what I wanted people to see and compare it to Georgia’s app in the phone graphic.

Maybe I need to let that go, and consider alternatives a la your suggestions.

Thank you so much for your considered thoughts – I really appreciate it.

rackroom92
    Participant
    • Total posts: 3
    Up

Hey Brad, I left all the technical stuff for the previous comments. Thought I’d give you my opinion on the asthetics.

I liked the layout, I’d give it an 8 out of 10. Didn’t like the colours, thought the blue and red clashed, I’d only give that a 4 or 5.

Matt

bradzo
    Up

Hi Matt

Thanks for that!

You must have seen it on a desktop re the layout. …. :)

Revamping it as I type this – will give the new url as soon as I can.

Exciting times – can’t wait to launch properly.

Corey
    • Total posts: 568
    Up

Is there a demonstration app?

Navigation & Menu needs work, plus white text? not business like.

Cheers
    Corey

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.