Home Forums Logistics Custom clearance of leather products

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    VinB
    • Total posts: 1

Hi All,

I am thinking of starting a business. I will be going with leather products(goat and buffalo to begin with) and get them imported.
    As I am beginner,the 1st delivery will be less than AUD 1000, including shipping.
    I have following questions:
    1) how to get custom clearance?
    2) Do I need fumigation?
    3) What documents I should ask from the supplier other then following:
    – Commercial invoice
    – Packing list
    – Bill of lading
    – Certificate of Origin
    4) Do I need a import permit?

I will really appreciate if anyone guide me to right direction.

Thanks in advance
    Vin

Rowan@quaotic
    Participant
    • Total posts: 712

I have imported goat skins before, but it was years ago. It is fine to import leather goods as long as they have been properly tanned, so leather goods such as bags and belts would be fine. They can also not be made of leather from restricted species.

I believe you should be fine, but it doesn’t hurt to check with customs or border force, they are friendly and easy to talk to. Or talk to the biosecurity people Phone: 1800 900 090

Dash Freight
    Participant
    • Total posts: 91

Rowan is spot on. If the leather has been tanned and is no longer a biological threat, you should not need further treatment or fumigation. Border Force may charge a quarantine entry fee, because it is an organic substance, normally around $55 for small shipments.
    Be aware, that Border Force may exercise their discretion to make a physical examination of the goods. They may then determine it needs treatment, such as fumigation. The examination and the treatment cost you extra. It’s a small risk but it is always there.
    If the goods are under AUD1000 you do not need a formal entry.
    So you need commercial invoice and packing list from the supplier. You don’t need a COO because its under AUD1000

I would recommend that you organise your own freight quotes, if only to compare with the shipper’s quote . That’s what I do for my clients.

When the shipper arranges the freight, they may not include all the costs to get to your door.

Good luck

Rob Dash E: rob@dashfreight.com.au M: 61 423 136 053 Quotes: https://tinyurl.com/yae7tbj6 S: live:rd2221
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.