Home – New Forums Logistics Custom Clearance

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    BrisVegasGhost
    • Total posts: 49
    Up
    ::

How long does it normally take for customs clearance?

I only received my Bill of Laden Docs by email yesterday but a telex had been sent. So Storage starts today.

The items are only 0.06M3
    What is the best and fastest way to receive customs clearance?

Cheers,

Matt Icon Logistics
    • Total posts: 23
    Up

Hi BrisVegasGhost,

In regard to ‘clearing’ or ‘entering’ the consignment, generally this can be done with copies of documents, so documents sent as an attachment in most cases will be sufficient to ‘clear’ the consignment. Creating an Import Declaration with the right resources can take anywhere from 10-15 minutes to hours that end up adding to days.many factors will have an impact upon the time it takes to create the import dec.
    Where an ‘original bill of lading’ has been cut normal practice requires that this document (the original, original bill) be surrendered at the Australian representative of the freight forwarder’s office along with the payment if relevant charges in order to obtain a ‘release’ or a ‘delivery order’ the two processes (customs clearance and obtaining the delivery order)!sound very similar and even share jargon, however are very separate processes. It is possible to complete one without the other. The Bill of Lading is the title to the freight. So unless you have agreed credit terms with you supplier they will not normally send you the original until you have paid them..if an original bill has been cut and you as the. Importer do not have the original you may be able to customs and AQIS clear the consignment but you cannot obtain the delivery order (which is surrendered to the depot to collect the freight) many importers wait until the last minute to pay their supplier to hold onto their cash as long as is possible, but if you leave it too late(even by 1 day) the penalty (storage) incurred can easily outweigh any benefit you may have gained.
    If original bills have been cut and you are running against the clock, instead of having the original bill couriered to OZ, the faster, cheaper alternative is to have the supplier lodge(surrender) all 3 original bills with the exporting freight forwarder or shipping line who’s details appear on the bill as the agent. One this process has taken place the bills become a surrendered(or telex) release and the original bill is no longer required.
    Based upon your scenario below I would say that the telex was at least one day (I would say two days) late.
    I suggest having the Import Dec lodged at least two days prior to vessel arrival, for a couple of reasons, but the earlier you have all your documents to your broker the better.. Customs and/or AQIS can be smooth sailing or the perfect storm. You are wise to have a couple of days up your sleeve to obtain additional declarations from suppliers etc. the other consideration is that 99% of seafreight cartage is arranged days in advance. Arranging same day seafreight cartage is more expensive and depots (not full container depots) close around 2-2.30pm..

Dos this answer your question?

Matt

BrisVegasGhost
    • Total posts: 49
    Up

Hi Matt,

Thanks for you detailed reply.

I ended up getting the clearance sorted out by using a broker in Brisbane.
    It was only a small sample order I placed. It was good to see how the process works before I place any substantial larger orders in the future.
    It answered a lot of questions for importing the first time.

Cheers

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.