Home – New Forums Find the help you need Custom packaging small run

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Vinyl Design
    • Total posts: 8
    Up
    ::

Hello,
    I’m designing a new packaging for my large wall stickers, they’re sheets of paper rolled, I want to get foldable printed cartons 60x8x8cm.
    I want the packaging to be retail friendly with a hang hole at the top of the carton.
    My problem is, I don’t want 20.000 boxes, I only want a few hundreds and all the companies I’ve found in internet request very high minimum quantities.
    Do you have any contact to pass me?
    Thanks,
    Julia
    http://www.vinyldesign.com.au

AnaLucia
    • Total posts: 112
    Up

I have the same problem as you do :( I wish I will sell 20,000 in a month!
    I get all of my boxes from Auspackaging, and sometimes they have open boxes and they are able to do small quantities on certain sizes, it just depends in what they can break at any time: give them a call and ask.
    Hope this helps!

marketingweb
    • Total posts: 625
    Up

What you are after is always a bit of a tough ask, but not impossible.

One company you could try is known as “Glamapak”. They don’t have a website, but their phone number is 03 9725 8388. They are in Kilsyth Vic.

If you don’t have any luck with them please let me know and I’ll chase down another option for you.

Do be aware though, that the more complicated you make the style of box, the higher the price – sometimes making small compromises on design can literally cut costs in half. Same case for if you go for a custom made box but in a “stock” shape, rather than something completely unique. If whoever does the job already has a “die” for the design then you don’t have to pay for this. A die is basically a big cutting knife in a specific shape to cut out the box in one hit. These can be very expensive which is why it’s best to go for something that’s been done before. This doesn’t mean you have to be boring – just need to find a supplier with a large range of stock dies, and who is willing to hold your hand through the process.

It’s also a quantity sensitive product so do be aware what you are asking for may not be cheap. If you are thinking $1-$2 a box you will probably be quite disappointed as the price will be much higher than this on small quantities. You may be aware of that, just letting you know!

Best of luck!

Matt

Matt

Vinyl Design
    • Total posts: 8
    Up

Hi Matt,
    I knew about the cutting tool, they asked me a “tool contribution” of $150 to get the size I want.
    I’m not after a strange shape, just a tall box 60x8x8cm, printed. It has to be smart and professional to get into shops.
    I’ll try Glamapak and keep looking on internet!
    Thanks,
    Julia

Past-Member
    • Total posts: 1,815
    Up

I know you said a box, but what are you putting in it? Would a tube be ok?

Office Works plain tubes
    60 x 600mm long $2.28
    90 x 850mm long $3.98
    60 x 420mm long $1.98
    60 x 720mm long $2.48

You could then have self-adhesive sheets printed in small quantities to wrap around the tubes. The sheets larger than A3 are definitely more expensive to print.

A3 sheet is 297 x 420
    An A2 sheet = 420mm X 594mm
    Or banner sheets are 325 x 900mm which can be cut down.

You could print 4 or 5 ‘strips’ to each sheet to wrap around.

Just trying to think laterally here.

marketingweb
    • Total posts: 625
    Up
    Vinyl Design, post: 56164 wrote:
    Hi Matt,
    I knew about the cutting tool, they asked me a “tool contribution” of $150 to get the size I want.
    I’m not after a strange shape, just a tall box 60x8x8cm, printed. It has to be smart and professional to get into shops.
    I’ll try Glamapak and keep looking on internet!
    Thanks,
    Julia

Other thing I thought i’d mention is that if you look at a “normal” packing box, is called an RSC, or Regular Slotted Carton. Basically any box is an RSC if it has the same type of conceptual design as normal packing boxes – ie cut out of one sheet, gluded/stapled in one spot, then having four flaps on top/bottom. It can still be an RSC if it’s tall and skinny, flat and wide etc, just as long as has this basic configuration.

NOW, why I mention this, is that if it’s done in the format of an RSC, they will NOT need to make a die – they can just adjust the rulers on their box making machine, and do it all in one go. This makes things MUCH cheaper, and may also lower the maximum to order (can’t say for sure). An RSC can still look nice (done in a nice finish etc), but isn’t possible the minute you have a lift up flap style, two part box etc.

Overall the main thing I want to emphasize is that there are LOTS of different ways to make a box, and the cost varies enormously – not a little bit but literally half, quarter the price for the more economical options. I’ve found that often “box people” live in their own little world where they are secretly annoyed that everyone else doesn’t know their lingo and constantly asks for the wrong thing, so they can be less than helpful in advising the best options for any job and mumble about things like “stereo costs” and “contribution charges” like we are supposed to know what that means – but if you know what to ask for correctly they spring to life and suddenly can do all sorts of magic.

Karen’s idea is also good if you are looking for a budget way to present your product.

Hope this helps rather than confusing things further.

Matt

Leisa D
    • Total posts: 563
    Up

I think the plain tubes Karen suggested are a great idea, or even plain boxes pre-made close to your sizing. Custom printed packaging is really not worth the expense for small quantities. You can have business card size gloss stickers made quite cheaply to put on the package.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.