Home Forums Selling online Customer survey popups – good or bad?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    ATT
    • Total posts: 16

Hello!

I am really interested to hear people’s views on customer surveys that pop-up on screen for ecommerce sites. I have seen them done well (Toms Shoes had great one that had only one or two questions – where are you from and what brings you here) but I still have my concerns: even the most concise ones could detract from the person making a purchase.

So how have you integrated them? Do you only use them if someone has already clicked to leave the site or post-purchase? Or to do you integrate them at another stage?

Do you hate them altogether? Or think they bring great insight and can be liked by the consumer too if done well?

Thanks so much!

GuestMember
    • Total posts: 318

It’s one person’s personal view but I don’t like them. They disrupt the experience too much. I like being asked for feedback because it shows a company cares. But my preference is to be asked after the purchase, e.g., a redirect from payment, or an email. I also dislike popups asking me to sign up for blogs. But because they work, I have them on my own blog! I think the best thing to do if you choose to use them is to make sure people can refuse them. Being able to click on the page to close it is least disruptive. Otherwise, the usual X button.

bb1
    Participant
    • Total posts: 4,485

I find any type of Pop up annoying, and in particular one’s which pop up even before you have had a chance to blink.

ATT

Thanks Paul. Good to hear your thoughts on surveys.

I definitely agree in regard to landing pages. I understand they are helpful from a leads/signup perspective, but the number of times I have actually left a page within seconds b/c the landing page wasn’t mobile responsive and therefore I was met with an immovable coloured box (!) or they pop up every time I visit a site (even after I have signed up). It is something that needs finessing and a bit more etiquette perhaps.

encocreative
    • Total posts: 50

Hmm… I don’t like popups :) especially on mobile. That said, there are some popups that convert fine. And aren’t that spammy as well.

Not going to deep in that part, wanted to say this – it depends on the timing and placement of the popup. Imagine an ideal situation – I browse a site and think “God, I would like an ice cream right now. And a popup goes up with an action to get it delivered to my place in 5 minutes. I would click it right away.

Yes, you can’t be that precise with popups. But the question type of popups (for example, Hotjar’s) are good to use in places where they fit. There’s a few articles on the notion that state put them on pages where you users drop off from the site. Or if you see a user has been on the page long, but dropped off afterwards. Means they’re looking for something but didn’t find it (if the page is a milestone to somewhere else, of course). A simple question of what are you looking for would be fit there. Or how can we help you or something similar. (note, Hotjar’s popups don’t affect user experience that much)

Now if you want surveys on user demographics or something else, that’s a different thing of course. If I was doing it, this would be my thought process:
    What do I want to ask them? Would they gladly provide the answer? When’s the best time to ask them? How can we ask them without disrupting their journey too much?

I agree with Paul on the timing, post-purchase. If I wanted to purchase something and done it, I don’t have a focused journey anymore (done what I wanted to do). Don’t mind you asking if there’s something I’d add that makes your service better (for me in the future as well).

By the way, what do you mean about the popup when you click to leave the page? Normally, they’re created to look for a symptom that a user wants to leave the page, and popup before he or she does. So you’re not disrupting them from leaving just trying to grab their attention before they leave. If you’re disrupting me from leaving, that’s a no go on my end.

Oh and I don’t like those popups that put a negative connotation on “no” so the user won’t click on it. Seen one the other day that had “Yes, please” and “No, I don’t have any friends”. That just pisses me off to an extent that I want to email the company

ATT

Thanks Ratko for all of your great thoughts. I also hadn’t heard of Hotjar, so thanks for this tip! I agree on the negative popups. Terrible! By contrast, I loved one the other day that said instead, when asking if you wanted to sign up “Yes please” or… “No thanks, just take me straight to the goods!!” That works much better.

Hatching_It
    • Total posts: 414

My thoughts are that popups are great for websites where I’m looking for information (maybe a informational/topical website or blog).

However if I’m just generally browsing with my money burning a hole in my pocket I’m not going to sign up.

I’ve signed up to many an SEO, marketing, business growth blog but wouldn’t bother on a website selling second hand games.

So I might go disable mine for a while.. My stats (using SumoMe List Builder) show I get maybe 1 signup a month, which is probably less than the number of customers I p*** off!

adrian
    • Total posts: 181

I think they’re a bad idea, and I wrote one that’s up on the WordPress repo… You really don’t want to interrupt a flow to the checkout. You should probably set up your page to have just one goal, and anything that distracts a customer from that goal needs to be done for good reason.

I have used pop ups (or slide ins), quite effectively, but not in sales. I had a game site where I’d ask people’s opinions on games. In that case, no sales were being interrupted and I got some great feedback.

So I’m with doing it after the sale, or emailing a user a quick survey the day after the sale. If you want feedback from people that didn’t buy, maybe look into emailing people who abandoned shopping carts, or ask for feedback on a informational part of the site rather than a sales page.

Good luck with it.

John Debrincat
    • Total posts: 963

I think of Pop-ups in the same way that I think of amex sales reps who stop you walking through Martin Place. They just get in the way.

However many online store owners think that they are very cool and forget about what the visitor thinks. They need to be the focus and not your want to have just one more pitch. The web is not really like traditional sales in that lots of no’s DO NOT lead to a yes. They just lead to the visitor never coming back.

Many live chat apps have some nice popup and survey capability built in that is sensitive to where the visitor came from, what keywords where used, what pages they looked at and for how long. So in other words more targeted.

If you are going to try them then make sure you use a safe add-on or service that supports HTTPS. Remember free apps can be unsafe so check what they do and where the information goes. A lot of website owners just don’t realise what information is being given away and to who or what vulnerabilities that they open with these add-ons.

Next do A/B testing.

Set up analytics to check what the visitors are doing and the exit rate on the pop-ups. This might need you to setup a specific goal in Google Analytics or whatever you use.

Check performance of these apps with Google Pagespeed often you will find some of these are added to the head area and will cause you Google issues.

John

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.