Home – New Forums Logistics Customs Duty on Imported Goods

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    hkot
    • Total posts: 6
    Up
    ::

Hi everyone,

I am in the planning stage of a new business which involves importing certain baby products from the United States.

I am aware I will have to pay GST if the value of the goods brought in is over $1000. But I am also hearing I will have to pay Customs Duty but am trying to find out what the Duty rate would be.

Does anyone know much about this as the customs website and phone operators were pretty unhelpful.

Thanks in advance

4dbonding
    • Total posts: 2
    Up

Hi Hkot,

I actually had the same enquiry as you and googled customes for contact number. When I spoke to them they couldn’t give me a clear answer and I think the 10% is actually the duty and not GST (again, they weren’t very clear).

Anyways, good luck to you and please let me know what your product is, as we are also saling baby product online…

Cheers

Richard

lukew
    • Total posts: 43
    Up

I have been informed that it is:
    Duty = 5%
    GST = 10%

The way it is calculated:
    Product $ + Freight $ + Insurance $ + Customs fees + duty 5% + GST 10% on the lot.

They certainly sting you.

Beware if you are getting quotes for door to door shipments through freight forwarding companies – Pay attention to what your road shipping charge is from Aus port to you premesis. you may find it cheaper to use a local transport company to cover that section.
    In my case the local transport agencies in my town came in at $1500 – $2000 cheaper for port to business transport then all of the international freight forwarding companies.

King
    • Total posts: 2,212
    Up

If you look on the customs website, you will be able to find the customs charges for every product imaginable.

Note if you are importing and going to a western area and coming in by container load, there is an extra AQIS inspection charge as well.

hkot
    • Total posts: 6
    Up
    King, post: 30129 wrote:
    If you look on the customs website, you will be able to find the customs charges for every product imaginable.

Hi
    Do you have a link to that site? I couldnt find it.

Thanks

King
    • Total posts: 2,212
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.