Home – New Forums Starting your journey DA needed for home office???

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Paul Serra
    • Total posts: 75
    Up
    ::

Hello to all my flying soloist (that i truly envy) i’m stuck between a rock and a hard place! Do i need a DA from my council(Blacktown) to set-up a home office? Heres some more info to help the answers coming.

I’m looking at starting a small import/wholesale distribution business of alcoholic beverages from home only selling to other licencees not the retail market (no one will ever come to the site – my home), heres my progress so far.

• Obtained ABN and trading name
    • Sourced up to 7 potential clients from hospitality and liquor retail sector both in Sydney and interstate.
    • Got a domain and in the process of looking for a website designer.
    • Trademark application in progress with ipaustralia
    • Obtained RSA a requirement from the office of liquor gaming and racing (OLGR)
    • 95% completed business plan

Now about 70% through the application form of producer/wholesaler from the OLGR and it says to get a national criminal history check (form p799) from the boys in blue and have done so this week (approx 3-6 weeks thats pretty long) Now also it states that i need to obtain a DA from local council if applicable to my situation . So i call the local council at Blacktown explain to them i am looking into starting a small business from home. Setting up a office from my garage which i guess is a norm for some flying soloist. I explain to them im importing and all my products will be going to an offsite storage facility and i will be delivering to my clients from there. So basically just setting up a home office no alcohol onsite and no clients will ever come here. Then they tell me i need to apply for a DA to setup an office even though no building works will be done etc. It will take approx 6-8 weeks so to translate that council time fame to English im realistically looking at 3-4 months. I want to start now, but the form is so complex and half of it doesn’t apply to my situation unless you consider sticking a chair and table in my garage as building works haha.

So have any of yous here EVER needed a DA to set-up a home office??? Or maybe its because im dealing with alcohol but none of it will ever be on site.
    Please help me guys Ive built up this start-up momentum, now this DA is slowing me down. HELP!

Cheers

Jessica Somerville
    • Total posts: 11
    Up

Hi Paul

I set up my home office back in Nov 09 and contacted my local council in Adelaide (city of enfield and port adelaide). I did not need a DA. Their main concerns were if I was going to have clients in my home/office, if cars would be parked in the street etc. So, for me, I did not need a DA or any other approval.

Regards
    Jessica Somerville
    Jessica Virtual Assistant
    http://www.jessicavirtualassistant.com.au

Chris Bates
    • Total posts: 966
    Up
    Paul Serra, post: 38242 wrote:
    Got a domain and in the process of looking for a website designer.

Hi Paul, I would be interested in talking to you about this ;)

Cheers,
    Chris ([email protected])

Paul Serra
    Up

Hi Jessica thanks for your experience , i think they just got alarm bells when alcohol was mentioned. All im basically doing is putting an office chair and table into my garage and do all my admin stuff for the business. Alcohol will be delivered and stored offsite and no patrons/ clients will ever be visiting . So i think i might goto Blacktown council next week and plead my case and see what happens- i dont really want to go thru the DA process.

@Chris
    – Checked out the website will definitely be having a chat with you when im searching for options for my website cheers!

wordmistress
    • Total posts: 504
    Up

Hi Paul

I have a client whose business recently had to relocate because the council made it ridiculously hard for them to operate where they were. Street parking and how many therapists could operate at the business at any one time were the main issues, but worse, the council had given approval 5 years ago and were now acting on complaints from residents in the street. The ridiculous thing is that there is a block of units next door, all rented out, and each unit has tenants with more than one car so the cars are out on the street.

Cross all the t’s and dot all the i’s before commencing business. Councils love to make waves, just when you’re doing well.

Also, when you do start putting your website together, drop me a line if you’d like to discuss copywriting!

All the best with your set-up :).

Paul Serra
    Up
    wordmistress, post: 38453 wrote:
    Hi Paul

I have a client whose business recently had to relocate because the council made it ridiculously hard for them to operate where they were. Street parking and how many therapists could operate at the business at any one time were the main issues, but worse, the council had given approval 5 years ago and were now acting on complaints from residents in the street. The ridiculous thing is that there is a block of units next door, all rented out, and each unit has tenants with more than one car so the cars are out on the street.

Cross all the t’s and dot all the i’s before commencing business. Councils love to make waves, just when you’re doing well.

Also, when you do start putting your website together, drop me a line if you’d like to discuss copywriting!

All the best with your set-up :).

Thanks for the comment wordmistress, i hope i can get all the approvals from council fast so i can keep the ball rolling.

I’ll keep you in mind for the website hopefully i can contact cu soon!

Cheers

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.