Home – New Forums Tech talk Data Base Program for Mac

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Ric Willmot
    • Total posts: 141
    Up
    ::

Does anyone have a recommendation for a data base program to use with Mac?

I am currently looking at Salesforce.com but are there other suggestions from members? Either hosted on the hard drive or in cyber space.

Thank you.

LeelaCosgrove
    • Total posts: 634
    Up

It really depends on what you’re looking to do with it … I mean, if you’re paying for Salesforce and you are just using it as a Database, that seems like kind of a waste to me!

However, if you’re using it to track conversions, click throughs and open rates, that’s a whole other story.

If you’re just looking for something to store details on, I highly recommend Filemaker Pro. It’s a non-online software (although has the capability to go online if you want to upload your databases) – which I’ve always found very easy to use.

It’s not cheap -but then, nothing for Mac is, is it?

Ric Willmot
    Up

Thanks Leela.
    I bought FileMaker Pro 9 when I bought the Mac Dec 07 and it is incredibly difficult to create the database.
    I am so fed up with FileMaker it’s not funny.
    Very unfriendly to non-computer people.
    Rgds,
    Ric

Tristan Boyd
    • Total posts: 55
    Up

If it’s a CRM you need, then I can suggest Sugar CRM, either the free “do it yourself” version or the hosted version, which is quite well priced.

LeelaCosgrove
    Up

I’m surprised at that Ric – I’ve always found Filemaker very intuitive and easy to use … but I guess that means different things to different people.

Ric Willmot
    Up

The data base needs are quite simple, really.

1. Contact details
    2. Company name
    3. Position
    4. Profession (accountant, lawyer, financial planner, consultant, etc)
    5. Prospective business opportunities logged
    6. Previous business completed
    7. Products purchased
    8. Articles sent
    9. Goodwill gifts sent
    10. Type of newsletter subscribed to

That’s about it.

Leela, yes everyone tells me that, but you know, I’m just not seeing it.

Rgds,
    Ric

Adam Randall
    • Total posts: 382
    Up

This might make you feel better Ric :)

http://tomster.org/blog/archive/2003/12/07/on-why-filemaker-sucks

It seems you may not be alone.

LeelaCosgrove
    Up

As far as computer-based databases go, filemaker is pretty much it for Mac.

So your options are either to do the online thing (in which case you would have to do the same thing you’re doing now – get a CRM … which really means that you’ve got one of the better ones already) – or you could get a filemaker programmer to design a database for you …

You can probably get this second one done on http://www.guru.com for less than $100 given how simple you need it to be.

fiona@vas
    • Total posts: 43
    Up

I would concur with Leela – I would recommend Filemaker Pro. The program comes with templates, so if your needs are fairly simple you may only need to make minor modifications to one of the supplied “solutions”.

I’ve been using Filemaker Pro since it was version 2 so have been using it for too long to have a sense of what it’s like to work with for the first time, but I highly recommend it (and it’s compatible with PC’s too!)

Fiona

mike@engagemarketing
    • Total posts: 300
    Up

I’ve got to agree about FileMaker. Its a very powerful program and it can scare you off. They have just released version10 which has a different user interface that makes it much easier to create and operate a database for those not familiar with the program.

Actually Bento might be a good option, its a simple (and cheaper) version of FileMaker Pro which sounds like exactly what you need!

http://www.filemaker.com/products/bento/overview.html

Cheers,
    Michael

David Head
    • Total posts: 14
    Up

Before I comment, I will declare my vested interests. I have been a FileMaker Pro developer for 20 years. I am certified in versions 7, 8 and 9. I am a FileMaker Authorised Trainer. My business, uLearnIT, is the training partner for FileMaker Inc. in the Asia Pacific region.

So, with that in mind, I fully support the use of FileMaker Pro for small to medium workgroups in both Mac and Windows (and mixed) environments.

FileMaker Pro is perhaps the easiest and still very powerful database on the market. It has its downsides and its upsides. So let’s not get started on a tirade about what you can and can’t do easily in FileMaker Pro or Microsoft Access.

Adam, I am surprised that you would quote a December 2003 article on why FileMaker Pro sucks. It is 2009 and the IT world is very fast moving. Perhaps FileMaker Pro has moved on since then? Most of the “issues” that the writer cited as “reasons” have actually been addressed since then. A response to the article by the author says “the article is dated from the year 2003 and refers to filemaker 5”. FileMaker Pro 10 was released on January 5.

FWIW, here is a response to the comments made:

The horrible GUI? — unsupported comment
    Scrollwheeling doesn’t work — works
    none [keyboard shortcuts] for … bringing up the Script Editor — there is now
    you can’t even move more than one line of code at time — you can now with cut/copy and paste
    you can’t even do n:n-relations... — yes you can; author seems to know little about normalisation
    no separation between your database application, your layouts and your data (Filemaker stuffs it all into a single, binary, proprietary file, which – for some reason – it then refers to as ‘table’) — still the same but you can have multiple tables per files and data separation is possible
    Writing an application like this in any university software course would make you fail… — spurious comment with little basis in fact
    Want to use global variables in your script? You have to add fields to your table! — both global and script (local) variables are now available
    Want to transfer your layout to another ‘table’ or application? Tough luck! — this is elementary in a single file
    Filemakers crappy implementation of an otherwise useful concept they call Portals — unexplained allegation
    no built-in option to startup Filemaker Server(!) automatically on Mac OS X — yes there is

There is not a lot left that makes it suck!

Ric, if you would like to contact me, I can help you out with getting something up and running quickly in FileMaker Pro. You would see how easy it really is! Your needs certainly seem simple and the customised needs database is where FileMaker Pro is aimed.

Adam Randall
    Up
    David Head, post: 1846 wrote:
    Adam, I am surprised that you would quote a December 2003 article on why FileMaker Pro sucks. It is 2009 and the IT world is very fast moving. Perhaps FileMaker Pro has moved on since then? Most of the “issues” that the writer cited as “reasons” have actually been addressed since then. A response to the article by the author says “the article is dated from the year 2003 and refers to filemaker 5”. FileMaker Pro 10 was released on January 5.

Dont take my post too seriously, I make my living from Microsoft, have done for the last 10 years or so.

Not a day goes by when I dont hear how useless Microsoft is, most of it is baseless, but hey its an alternative view and occassionally I partake in the MS bashing action myself.

I passed no judgement on Filemaker Pro because I have rarely used it, just pointed out that other people found Filemaker difficult to work with.

I was not being un-dude

Ric Willmot
    Up

Adam,
    Thank you for directing me to that post.
    I loved it as I felt someone else had done the venting for me.
    David, thank you very much for your offer to help me, I will drop you a note. :)
    It’s a VERY unfriendly piece of software for a non-computer business person.
    VERY unfriendly.
    David, you are a computer expert and it might seem simple to you – it’s not.
    I have had 4 different “smart” people try to help do something with FMP (one of them writes statistical software applications for the United Nations in New York and another has been involved in writing “wrappers” for SAP).
    Neither of them could get this stuff to work with FMP.
    An expensive piece of software that for over 12 months has done nothing for me or my business.
    :)
    I love my FiloFax and iPhone.
    They are both very user-friendly tools.
    Rgds,
    Ric

David Head
    • Total posts: 14
    Up

Hi Ric
    I look forward to talking with you and getting FileMaker Pro to do something useful for you and your business.

When I say it is simple, that is not just from my point of view. It comes from the many people I have trained over the last two years. Many many pennies have dropped during courses and I have got used to the sound of that.

I think ‘smart’ always needs to be in quotes. I once knew a Maths/Physics student getting HDs in every subject who exploded the back tyre of his bike when inflating it. But he is a ‘smart’ person! I think those ‘smart’ people could get it but might be bringing preconceived ideas about how it should work. I see the same things with ‘smart’ Windows people trying to do something simple on a Mac. Anyway, ‘smart’ is relative to a specific situation. :)

Adam Randall
    Up
    David Head, post: 1852 wrote:
    I see the same things with ‘smart’ Windows people trying to do something simple on a Mac. Anyway, ‘smart’ is relative to a specific situation. :)

It only took me 45 mins to work out how to create a shortcut on a Mac! without it going “poof” into electronic thin air.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.