Home – New Forums Tech talk Database – Cheapy for home offices to use

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    KimmyLea
    • Total posts: 1
    Up
    ::

I am not truly ‘flying solo’ but we have 3 home offices around Sydney and we require a database that we can all log into via the web so we can better manage clients, prospects and events. We also travel a lot. So we need hosting at a REASONABLE price.
    Companies I have spoken with who provides this service want to charge us $100 each per month! That is a staggering $3,600 per year just to access our data… 😮
    For a small business that is simply prohibitive…. Anyone out there with a suggestion or 2? Thanks everyone! :)

Brent@Ontrax
    • Total posts: 336
    Up

Kimmy

Welcome to the FS Forum… I’m sorry to say but you are asking a very common question on this forum. There is never 1 perfect solution as it all depends on what your real requirements are.

There are many CRM products available which reside in the cloud but first you will need to know exactly what you want to do so that when you look at the programs, you can determine their worthiness.

Here is a link to a CRM phrase search on this forum.
    http://www.flyingsolo.com.au/search?s=site&q=crm

Brent

Divert To Mobile
    • Total posts: 2,751
    Up

Hi KimmyLea,

You could set it up on a computer at one of the locations but it would be horrible to use and productivity would be at about 20% of potential. Ive seen it done a hundred times even by decent sized business turning over several Mill.

$3600 p.a to provide hosted productivity software and licences for 3 locations isnt expensive, in could even be under quoted. Its possible you underestimate what is involved in a setup like that, and/or the benefits to the business. It can be done cheaper but you would need an internal system administrator do it min 70k p.a.

Steve

Uncomplicating
    • Total posts: 731
    Up

Use google and search for “online crm”. There are a heap available at a few $ per month each.

Of course, if you need more than a simple CRM, it’s going to get more expensive.

As Steve said, $100/month doesn’t seem like much really.

Andydesign
    • Total posts: 3
    Up

Check out briefcase we are paying $50 per month per user and its great

IT Advocate
    • Total posts: 195
    Up

I’ve had Batchbook deployed for around a year now. It has been an easy to use CRM & sales pipeline management system.

CRM’s are pretty wide and varied, each with their own strengths based on the target market. Some CRM’s offer iphone/ipad apps, if your a mobile iOS user this might be important to you.

Overseas cloud based CRM’s can sometimes suffer from performance lags due to the distance. These are negligible but are not as responsive as a local solution.

Ravish Juneja
    • Total posts: 11
    Up

I have following suggestions:

1. Use Google drive or Dropbox where all 3 of you could store any database which could be remotely accessed by any 3 of you from any device (eg mobile, ipad, laptop). It would be easy to migrate your current software on these storage solutions.

2. Use a dedicated CRM solition – Sugar CRM or Zoho or saleforce.com. Salesforce at $95 per user per month is perhaps expensive for you, Sugar CRM (Professional) at $35 per user per month should suffice. My pick though is Zoho Enterprise which is free for up to 3 users (sounds great) and you could easily migrate to the Professional version at $12 per user per month. Definitely the cheapy end of CRM software.

Hope it helps.

eStrategyPro.com, post: 0 wrote:
    Try the open-sourced SugarCRM.

It’s free, but you’re responsible for your own installation, web hosting, support, etc.

UTX Training
    • Total posts: 14
    Up

What exactly are you using the database for? Do you really need a fully featured database app.

I do a lot of work with google docs/google drive. The spreadsheet facility there great for simple, secure online collaboration.

If you’re just tracking sales, etc it’s brilliant. You can grant multiple users access and they can modify it… depending on what you are doing I’d be surprised if you need a full db system.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.