Home – New Forums New here? Share your story David Martin: Franchise Warrior – signing on.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    David Martin
    • Total posts: 15
    Up
    ::

I’ve enjoyed 20+ years as an executive with leading retail Franchisors Century 21 Real Estate, Video Ezy International, Bakers Delight, Smart Saver Franchising and Hotondo Homes.

Christine and I have also been award winning multi-site retail Franchisees and between 2002 and 2004 I was a Franchisee elected member of the Video Ezy National Marketing and Franchise Advisory Committee.

As a result I have a balanced perspective on Franchising.

I’m not operating a business at present but am interested to connect and contribute. I’m currently employed as National Franchise Development Manager at Hotondo Homes.

I’m interested in small business, current affairs, rock n roll, aussie wine, dinner with friends and family, beaches and passionate about the Collingwood FC. I’m also more than curious about Social Media Marketing.

Happy to chat at anytime on any of the above.

Keeta Nova
    • Total posts: 294
    Up

Welcome to the forums David!

MyGreatIdea
    • Total posts: 2,278
    Up

Hi David,

That’s quite a resume !! Sorry to hear about your affliction though

…passionate about the Collingwood FC.

;) lol

Welcome to FS

Wendy :)
    Eagles member and supporter

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up

Hi David,

Thanks for joining the forum. We have quite a few chats about franchising around here, so your expertise will be most welcome. In return, I’m sure you’ll enjoy the many conversations about social media marketing. :)

All the best,
    Jayne

EmmaCondon
    • Total posts: 18
    Up

Hi David,

Welcome to FS. Hope you enjoy reading and discussing nonstop! This forum is really addictive, and you’ll soon know why! :)

David Martin
    Up
    Keeta, post: 90616 wrote:
    Welcome to the forums David!
    Thanks! What’s a luck Dragon?
    David Martin
    Up
    Couple It, post: 90626 wrote:
    Hi David,

That’s quite a resume !! Sorry to hear about your affliction though ;) lol

Welcome to FS

Wendy :)
    Eagles member and supporter

Hi Wendy,

Good call. Once you’ve got the bug it’s never the same.

Smash those Blue Baggers for us today!

David

Jake@EmroyPrint
    • Total posts: 1,117
    Up

Hi David,

Welcome to the forums!!

I’d actually love to pick your brain about the franchising industry – it’s been a market I’ve wanted to tap into (supply print products via head offices to the local franchises) for some time.

Mind if I get in contact to ask a few questions?

– Jake

AdvancedPetSitting
    • Total posts: 357
    Up

Hi David,

Welcome from me too.

I have just got all my documents from the lawyer to start franchising and have put an ad on SEEKCommercial. I would love to hear your thoughts on successfully selling franchises (where else is good to list or advertise, how to sell to people etc). I am very green in the field of franchising.

David Martin
    Up
    Emroy, post: 90894 wrote:
    Hi David,

Welcome to the forums!!

I’d actually love to pick your brain about the franchising industry – it’s been a market I’ve wanted to tap into (supply print products via head offices to the local franchises) for some time.

– Jake

Hi Jake,

ask away.

David Martin
    Up
    Emroy, post: 90894 wrote:
    Hi David,

Welcome to the forums!!

– Jake

G’day Jake,

ask away!

David Martin
    Up
    AdvancedPetSitting, post: 90907 wrote:
    Hi David,

Welcome from me too.

I have just got all my documents from the lawyer to start franchising and have put an ad on SEEKCommercial. I would love to hear your thoughts on successfully selling franchises (where else is good to list or advertise, how to sell to people etc). I am very green in the field of franchising.

Hi Monika,

congratulations on venturing into the unknown. It’s a fantastic place to be with lot’s of opportunity for growth (business and personal) and hopefully profit!

Please note my comments below are my personal views about correct principle and process and are not a comment on your business. I’m sure you’ve invested considrable blood, sweat, tears and haqrd earned getting your business to this stage.

hopeful the following helps you clarify your recruitment strategy and process.

1. I’ve always preferred to ” grant ” franchises to suitably qualified candidates rather than sell them to prospects with enough money to afford the joining fee and hopefully enough working capital.

We want to “open” long term business relationships rather than ” close ” sales and do deals. When a Franchisee chooses to part with their hard earned for your business opportunity we end up with mutual obligations to each other.

Best we all learn about each other before we sign a formal, expensive legal agreement only to find out it was a mistake (by you or them). The cost, both $$ and time, in fixing a mistake can kill your business

2. Before you start recruitng franchisees you should be able to answer the following (preferably in writing), with firm conviction .

(a) What has your business / you done to earn the right to invite some one to invest in you and your business.

(b) The Franchise Purchase Fee should be no more than a recruitment cost recovery revenue, not a profit centre. What’s the answer for Advanced Pet Sitting?

Depending on your answers to the first two questions you may or may not be ready to Franchise.

Assuming you are confident in your answers to the above, we’re ready to start recruitng. Ideally, the following is documented.

3. What’s the ideal profile of a potential Franchisee Partner?
    4. What are the steps in the Franchise Affiliation process?
    5. Are you aiming for new Franchise Partners locally or do you have the resources ($$$, time, people) to recruit into Regional QLD & NSW or nationally?
    6. What’s your Franchise Recruitment budget, $$ and time? The answer this will impact on the promotional strategy we can afford.

Monika, if it will help I’ll jump onto SEEKCOMMERCIAL and have a look on your ad and send through some feedback.

Good luck!!

AdvancedPetSitting
    • Total posts: 357
    Up

Thank you so much David, the information you are giving me is invaluable. My lawyer touched on some those points as well. I am aware that some people are only after someone’s money when selling franchises, but to me reputation is everything and I intend to be very selective. I’d rather have the right people than a big bank account. I recruit pet sitters like this as well. Better one expetional pet sitter than a few very average ones.

I would like to hear what you think about the ad. I wrote it myself and I am not knwo for my writing talents :)

Keeta Nova
    • Total posts: 294
    Up
    David Martin, post: 90783 wrote:
    Thanks! What’s a luck Dragon?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWnW-OuggoE

David Martin
    Up
    AdvancedPetSitting, post: 90995 wrote:
    Thank you so much David, the information you are giving me is invaluable. My lawyer touched on some those points as well. I am aware that some people are only after someone’s money when selling franchises, but to me reputation is everything and I intend to be very selective. I’d rather have the right people than a big bank account. I recruit pet sitters like this as well. Better one expetional pet sitter than a few very average ones.

I would like to hear what you think about the ad. I wrote it myself and I am not knwo for my writing talents :)

Your welcome. I can’t find your ad on SEEK Commercial. I’ve searched under Advanced Pet sitting but it’s a “no response” result?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.