Home – New Forums Logistics Dealing with big retailers such as Bunnings, Masters, Home Timber and Hardware

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Rosemark
    • Total posts: 17
    Up
    ::

Hi All,

I do apologise if this question has been asked before. I’m just wondering if anyone has any advice for trying to sell to the big retailers such as the big hardware chains. Do they only deal with 3PL or established distributors? And if so can anyone recommend who they may be? And if I do need to go through a 3PL/other means do I then need to pitch my product to them and they in turn pitch it to the retailers? I’m sorry for my ignorance but I’m really struggling to put all the pieces together from Manufacture to retail.

Any comments or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Mark

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up

Hi Mark, and apologies that your initial post was held up for a while before being published.

It is here now though, and I hope that there’ll be some helpful comments posted for you shortly.

In the meantime, welcome to Flying Solo, and thanks for joining us :)
    Jayne

bb1
    Participant
    • Total posts: 4,485
    Up

Not sure, but guessing it is similiar to some of the other big retailers, theres some good info in this thread as well. Different sector, but i would say similiar challenges

http://www.flyingsolo.com.au/forums/marketing/33901-selling-coles-kmart.html

LucasArthur
    Participant
    • Total posts: 3,171
    Up

Hi Mark

May I second Jaynes warm welcome :)

Might I clarify, you are a manufacturer (or are having a unique productade for you) and want to get your item into these people? Is this the case?

Can’t get the links now as I am on mobile, although there was a recent post in the forums that talked about this but retailers were coles/woolies. They are similar in a way with regards to you need a unique product that had existing brand awareness and a high demand – most times.

You can sell directly if you are a big supplier otherwise you may need o find an agent (think this is what you mean by 3PL?) although I am not personally sure how this works with these retailers.

Most important thing yo know is you will need to have an extremely sound business with great stock holding, turnaround times, advertising budgets and great cashflow to cover large terms of trade. Almost always, and please I am not trying to sound negative, any deal favours the retailer at this level and can be crippling for smaller operators of you/they are not ready for lil hurdles that could pop up.

Example, let’s say you sell $100k into a large hardware chain and the contract says the box needs to have a blue label on it. If the lie label isn’t there the contract states that they do not need to pay for this til rectified if at all which can delay payment by months whilst you implement a strategy to resolve nationwide :). I know it sounds odd, although I had a close client I was working with that was held up to the sum of $250k and took 18 months to get the funds. That is a worse case scenario, although contingencies need to be known just in case.

Look forward to knowing a little about you should you jump across to the intro yourself section and we are pretty warm and friendly here :) well the others are, the vote is still out on me :)

Cheers
    Jason

Jason Ramage | Lucas Arthur Pty Ltd | E: [email protected]   P: 61 3 8324 0344    M: 61 412 244 888
    LucasArthur
    Participant
    Up
    bb1, post: 211292 wrote:
    Not sure, but guessing it is similiar to some of the other big retailers, theres some good info in this thread as well. Different sector, but i would say similiar challenges

http://www.flyingsolo.com.au/forums/marketing/33901-selling-coles-kmart.html

Ok, I think you and in i need a roster so we don’t overlap with similar replies. lol

Jason

Jason Ramage | Lucas Arthur Pty Ltd | E: [email protected]   P: 61 3 8324 0344    M: 61 412 244 888
    bb1
    Participant
    Up
    HarryLuke Logistics, post: 211294 wrote:
    Ok, I think you and in i need a roster so we don’t overlap with similar replies. lol

Jason

Ah but mine was short and sweet so I finished typing first…

LucasArthur
    Participant
    Up
    bb1, post: 211295 wrote:
    Ah but mine was short and sweet so I finished typing first…

inference being? lol

Rosemark
    • Total posts: 17
    Up

Thanks everyone for the welcome and replies.
    I am very impressed with the timely and helpful responses and the real community feel on this site. It is proving to be a very useful resource and I wish I’d found it sooner.
    Thanks

bb1
    Participant
    Up
    Rosemark, post: 211345 wrote:
    I am very impressed with the timely and helpful responses and the real community feel on this site. It is proving to be a very useful resource and I wish I’d found it sooner.
    Thanks

It is a great place to get information

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up
    Rosemark, post: 211345 wrote:
    Thanks

Thanks for your kind feedback Mark. Comments like those make our day :)

Have a great Easter,
    Jayne and the FS Crew

Ecomad
    • Total posts: 9
    Up

I am wary of putting my “unique” goods into [Moderated] for example as I have heard lots of different rumours – I think when I finally target some hardware stores, it will be the Mitre 10s which are smaller and operate in a lot more places.

Some things I have heard about [Moderated] is you can make a loss as they screw you down so much on price as well as having to stock your products on their shelves yourself rather than store staff which I wouldn’t have the time to do let alone the money to employ people to do this for me.

Interested to hear of anyone else’s experiences.

Dave Gillen – Former FS Concierge
    Keymaster
    • Total posts: 2,566
    Up

Hi Ecomad,

The forum guidelines don’t allow posting rumours about other businesses, so I’ve removed the names from your post.

I would expect any large retailer to negotiate hard on price, and it’s every supplier’s responsibility not to sell for them for less than they can afford. I can see how it would be tempting though to cut it fine and end up unhappy with the (lack of) rewards.

Dave

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.