Home – New Forums Wellbeing & balance Dealing with sickness/injuries as a sole trader

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Lee333
    • Total posts: 43
    Up
    ::

Hi. I was making some good momentum on getting my business set up when I was injured in an accident at home. I ended up in hospital having surgery and everything has ground to a halt.

It’s going to be two weeks at least before I can get out and about; I can work at the computer for short periods in the meantime.

I was wondering how other sole traders have coped when injuries and illnesses have suddenly struck. Do you enlist someone to help, or just put things on hold until you can carry on again?

[Edit] Since first posting this, I’ve discovered that although I can probably get out and about in a couple of weeks, it’s going to take a minimum of four to six months to recover properly to the point where I can move around unaided. Not good. However, I am not known as a quitter. There is a lot I can do from home.

Greg_M
    • Total posts: 1,691
    Up

Covering sickness and injury (and organising holidays) was one of my biggest problems as a small operator.

The best I ever did to cover it was a good network in my industry (construction), even direct competitors … may sound counter intuitive but I’ve had some of the best help when injured from direct competitors.

Often they have the same issues, and are happy to establish relationships based on mutual respect and trust, knowing the help is there for them, if the roles are reversed.

Not sure if it’d work in all sectors, but it’s worked ok for me for 40 years.

Hope you’re back on deck soon.

Robert Gerrish
    • Total posts: 1,274
    Up

Hi Lee

So sorry to hear this, I hope your recovery is more swift than has been suggested.

Ideally it is favourite to keep things ticking along in your business if you can. I’d suggest you spend some time working out what are the key activities that need to continue. Clearly looking after clients/customers must be top of the list and it may be necessary to re-set expectations in some instances. It may be that this could be a good time to outsource some of the basic tasks. I’ve known of people who have done this by necessity and then realised it’s been a positive move and have maintained this once back on full health.

Keeping a profile is also likely to be important – whether this is staying in touch with your social networks or via networking events. Again, it depends what’s physically possible and what you deem to be the priorities.

Whenever I’ve had times when I’ve been unable to fulfil the tasks that are necessary I’ve found that planning is the key and that once you’ve worked out some strategies it’s highly likely your customers and networks will chip in to support you.

Best of luck. If you have any specific concerns, just post them here and we’ll do all we can to assist.

Robert :)

PatriciaC
    • Total posts: 2
    Up

Moments like the one you described are a pain but also a great opportunity to be the most productive you can in the least time (due to the constraint you describe) and you end up learning a lot about yourself.
    I personally kept doing all that I could do on a time where I encountered a sudden surgery and got some help so that the basic work kept going on.
    I would take this event you went through as an opportunity to analyze how you can get help at your business, outsource, etc. How will you continue the business if you have an emergency or take vacations? Make your plan B because you never know when you will need it.

artoflingo
    • Total posts: 4
    Up

Owning a business can be like riding a rollercoaster. At times you feel invincible, and others completely helpless. A few colleagues of mine have recently gone through the same experience, so remember that you are never alone.

I agree with Robert, regarding outsourcing if it is financially possible. This might even include hiring someone to help with household chores, so you have enough energy to do the important stuff at work.

Take time to reflect, and value this. Try keeping a journal and record your hopes and frustrations. Read books, educate yourself, enroll in an online course, or network on social media. Use the time to build other skills and explore new ideas. But work as much as you can, because you might be pleasantly surprised by what you can achieve.

Kate Toon
    • Total posts: 79
    Up

It’s a real struggle. My husband just had to have his hip replaced (he’s only young too) and had to stop work for 6 weeks.
    This meant I had to do everything to keep house going, look after child, dog etc so I missed a heap of work too.

We have income protection insurance, but getting a payment out of the insurance company has been like getting wee out of a hedgehog!
    (Difficult).

I wrote a blog a few weeks back for FS about taking a long break and it included a few tips about automation and good tools to use.

MIght be useful : http://www.flyingsolo.com.au/startup/break-from-business

alliedib
    • Total posts: 453
    Up
    Kate Toon, post: 227351, member: 13406 wrote:
    We have income protection insurance, but getting a payment out of the insurance company has been like getting wee out of a hedgehog!
    (Difficult).

Hi Kate,

This is off topic, but I would be interested to know why/how/who this was so difficult. They always say that claim time is where the insurance company shows it value – I am always up for learning what experiences people have in the ‘market’ so that I can better assist my clients (not looking for the full details – just an overview would be great)…

Would love for you to drop me a PM or give me a call when you have some time :).

Regards,

Mark

Kate Toon
    Up
    alliedib, post: 227356, member: 37857 wrote:
    Hi Kate,

This is off topic, but I would be interested to know why/how/who this was so difficult. They always say that claim time is where the insurance company shows it value – I am always up for learning what experiences people have in the ‘market’ so that I can better assist my clients (not looking for the full details – just an overview would be great)…

Would love for you to drop me a PM or give me a call when you have some time :).

Regards,

Mark

Hey – happy to share.

I think there were a few issues.
    > Several times we were told the person we needed to speak to wasn’t available and they would call us back
    > We had 2 very long involved phone calls both asking the exact same questions
    > We had to fill out heaps of forms and send a stack of evidence

Our claim is still being assesses. 6 weeks on. Zero communication.

I must admit this is the first time we’ve ever claimed insurance on anything, ever. Crazy huh? So maybe this is the norm.?

bb1
    Participant
    • Total posts: 4,485
    Up
    Kate Toon, post: 227360, member: 13406 wrote:

You shouldn’t just expect insurance companies to handover money without forms and evidence. I would have thought this was reasonable,

Kate Toon
    Up
    bb1, post: 227362, member: 53375 wrote:
    You shouldn’t just expect insurance companies to handover money without forms and evidence. I would have thought this was reasonable,

Of course [USER=53375]@bb1[/USER]

I just felt that having to repeat the information and have the same conversation several times was an issue.

[USER=37857]@alliedib[/USER] asked for my opinion so I shared it. I wasn’t looking to start a debate on Insurance company policies :-)

alliedib
    • Total posts: 453
    Up
    Kate Toon, post: 227360, member: 13406 wrote:
    Hey – happy to share.

I think there were a few issues.
    > Several times we were told the person we needed to speak to wasn’t available and they would call us back
    > We had 2 very long involved phone calls both asking the exact same questions

Our claim is still being assesses. 6 weeks on. Zero communication.

I must admit this is the first time we’ve ever claimed insurance on anything, ever. Crazy huh? So maybe this is the norm.?

Hi Kate,

It shouldn’t be the norm, however as there is a move towards transient workforces / call centre overflows etc it seems to be heading this way… I have similar stories as to what you have experienced, however in saying that most of my claims go through without issues (sometimes its just a matter of knowing who and where to turn to – industry advantages :)). Although 6 weeks with no communication is less than satisfactory – not sure why that is the case. I know most of my insurers give me fortnightly updates – maybe the life insurance sector works differently. Doesn’t lessen the frustration though…

Regards,

Mark

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.