Home Forums Marketing mastery Deposit?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Davejochow
    • Total posts: 38

Hi just a question about deposits and events. I am a decorator and lately I have people book me to do their event then they cancel a few weeks before hand. How long before an event can I ask for a deposit, because sometimes people book in very busy times and then cancel leaving me high and dry.

No Limits
    • Total posts: 48

Hi,

I’m not experienced in the legal area of your enquiry, however, this is my opinion based on common sense.

I see it no different to an options contract.
    They pay you a premium (deposit) to book your services so that you will be available to perform them at a later date.
    If they don’t follow through they lose their premium, or part of it, depending on your contract.
    If they continue, they purchase your services at the price agreed when you made the contract and took the deposit.
    I don’t see why a contract should have a short time period on it, it could be years away.

Basically, if you are offering a contract with specific terms and conditions listed and they agree to it by signing and paying for it, they should be held to it.

Of course these terms would be dependant on your industry and also the need to stay competitive in your marketplace.

Take a cruise for example, there is a scale based on the closer you cancel before depature date, the less refund you get back.

Keep them accountable by having a contract with terms and conditions in place.
    If your terms are reasonable and they don’t want to pay a deposit, you don’t need those types of customers as they are probably time wasters anyway.
    Deal with quality customers from the start and your life will be much easier.

Good luck.
    No Limits

ScarlettR
    • Total posts: 396

In my experience when dealing with event service providers (I know, I’m currently planning my wedding)

1. Without a deposit you cannot be booked
    2. Contract stipulating that partial deposit can be refunded prior to 1 month before event, and by 1 month prior deposit will not be eligible for refund.
    3. Possible option: Cancellation within 48 hours of event will still require full payment to be made.

Always have a contract outlined and binding.

MissSassy
    • Total posts: 1,255

Hi Jo

Couldn’t agree more with the previous replies, you need a contract and minimum deposit for your services. At least then you are compensated in some form if they pull out.

Totally Awesome
    • Total posts: 63
    Davejochow, post: 182937 wrote:
    Hi just a question about deposits and events. I am a decorator and lately I have people book me to do their event then they cancel a few weeks before hand. How long before an event can I ask for a deposit, because sometimes people book in very busy times and then cancel leaving me high and dry.

I suggest asking for a deposit immediately they book.
    You could offer a discount if they pay in full straight away too.
    You should also have a very clear refund policy.

e.g. 80% refund up to 8 weeks prior to the event.
    50% refund up to 4 weeks prior to the event
    Nil refund less than 4 weeks (unless someone else fills the booking – then 80% refund applies)

I wouldn’t offer a 100% refund except in extreme cases (e,g. death) because once you pencil in the date then you (and they) have committed to it – closing the door to others who may want that date.

Jason Ramage
    Participant
    • Total posts: 3,165

Um,

Have looked across this post a few times and tried to stop myself posting.. but, i have to say… how could you not charge a deposit?

As others have said, get it contracted etc with clear t’s and c’s….

Should you take a booking without a deposit, what is binding them to you? the moment you say “fine, i will accept the booking” the onus is falling completely on you, no risk to client all risk to you. remember your time is VALUABLE! very VALUABLE!

If you take no deposit, it basically allows the client to feel safe with you as being booked although leaves everything open for them to continue shopping elsewhere.. and if they find cheaper, they can jump ship in a flash! not a good idea… also, you would probably end up with lots of tyre kickers going ‘oh ok, yes we’ll book’… treat a deposit as HURT MONEY,, so if they change there mind it has to be serious..

Gotta go, dont want to say any more and tarnish my already spoiled reputation..

Cheers
    Jason ;)

Jason Ramage | Lucas Arthur Pty Ltd | E: hello@lucasarthur.net.au   P: 61 3 8324 0344    M: 61 412 244 888
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.