Home – New Forums Money matters Did your sales improve by offering credit card payments?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 42 total)
  • Author
    BroodsBigBras
    • Total posts: 31
    Up
    ::

Hello all again

I have found out how much it will cost me to offer straight up credit card payments instead of having them go through paypal and I’m looking on average $50 per month on top of my other expenses.

I partly feel as though for me to take the next step in the business world and establish myself more that it is something I need to set up but I don’t want to be trapped into a one year contract paying $50 a month for a system that might not bring in more customers/sales.

For those who are online only businesses did you find that you gained more customers/sales by having it and how do most people now pay for your products?

I’d be going through St George with their IPG MAC system so I get the details and I go online and manually enter them myself, gets approved or declined straight away and doesn’t lead people off my website which is what I wanted. They advised against going with another payment gateway for now until things improve heaps and I can’t keep up with sales and then get it set up for automatic payments which made sense to me.

Has anyone else used that above mentioned system? I have learnt that there are a few requirements such as I need to have a privacy policy in place which I didn’t realise so have done some reading on here to learn more about that, is there anything else I should be keeping an eye out for? If I got it correct they apparently don’t have fraud protection which I thought was a tad odd? Thanks

Brood

tonyk
    • Total posts: 1,430
    Up

From what I have heard from others in small business, offering credit card as a payment option hasn’t resulted in more sales.

tonyk
    Up

The only thing that will really increase your sales is to do quality work/provide quality products consistently. There is nothing better than word of mouth.

Divert To Mobile
    • Total posts: 2,751
    Up

Hi Brood,

We used the same system but through ANZ.
    It didn’t come with a terminal or any hardware. It was a secure website where we’d enter the customers card details and it would process the transaction.

Pros. it was cheap and didn’t require a phone line or pressing buttons on a machine doing card not present orders. Also can process from anywhere if you have internet access.

Cons. it wasn’t eftpos, which means couldn’t process saving/cheque cards. Sometimes you come across people who don’t like to give cc details but they can do direct deposit.

Fraud?
    Its pretty easy to spot if your not blind or greedy. The fraudsters are usually from OS and typically place huge orders like 10k and split it over 2 cards with sequential numbers that actually don’t come up as stolen when you call to check. Probably because they’re not actually stolen but computer generated.

You can break them quite easily when you get a suspicious one, ask them for a high resolution scan of their drivers license. They will always send you a blurry one and the numbers have been changed. You can google image search the drivers licenses for their country to compare fonts layout etc. Its quite amusing how stupid they think we are.

Steve

Divert To Mobile
    Up
    eStrategyPro.com, post: 0 wrote:
    I hope you don’t store your credit card info on your website. There’re too many hackers waiting to compromise websites. You wouldn’t want to be responsible for security as this is a big area to worry.

Is the transmission of your customers’ credit card details to you secure and encrypted?

An encrypted connection or SSL certificate is good for customer confidence for those who notice its a secure connection.

Steve

tonyk
    Up
    Scrooge, post: 135016 wrote:
    Although we are talking about the online space so there is plenty to be done to increase sales :) Apart from WOM

True, but nobody is going to buy something just because credit card payment option is available.

tonyk
    Up
    Scrooge, post: 135024 wrote:
    Sorry Tony but that is completely wrong, people will not buy in many cases if you do not offer the credit card option, many people have no idea what PayPal is don’t trust PalPal and want to use their credit card.

Although you can use PayPal with your credit card many people find it confusing and think they need a PayPal account.

You can use this same thinking with EFT and bPay, many people do not want to use a credit card online, don’t have PayPal and want to use EFT or similar.

Think you misunderstood what I was saying. I was simply saying that the quality of the product on offer will determine whether people will make a purchase, not whether credit card is a payment option.

Zava Design
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,463
    Up
    BroodsBigBras, post: 134985 wrote:
    I have found out how much it will cost me to offer straight up credit card payments instead of having them go through paypal and I’m looking on average $50 per month on top of my other expenses.
    Just because you’re using PayPal as your gateway doesn’t mean you need to send the user via PayPal. It can all be processed without leaving your site with PayPal Pro and SSL.
    Divert To Mobile
    Up

Being PCI compliant shows that you have taken measures to satisfy your duty of care obligations. It protects you from being deemed negligent if security goes south.

Reality is anything online can be compromised and as more underprivileged communities are helped and encouraged to go online and educated in the IT industry cybercrime will become even more prolific.

Steve

Divert To Mobile
    Up
    eStrategyPro.com, post: 0 wrote:
    What I worry most is how the credit card info is stored *after* it is transmitted securely to the merchant.

That’s why I prefer to outsource payment processing to third party like PayPay, eWay, etc. I don’t want to be responsible for security for legal and reputational reasons.

Im not sure about other ecommerce software but OSC only stores part of the card in the DB and emails the remainder to the merchant for processing. This way even if the DB is hacked the card is secure.

Steve

Divert To Mobile
    Up
    Scrooge, post: 135014 wrote:
    I wish it was that easy steve, we get hit by Aussie criminals, the credit cards are Aussie the purchases are reasonable the address is real the phone numbers and email addresses are real. It is damn hard to spot them!

Its getting worse, and with many merchants relying on low margin to attract sales a single loss sets them back a long way.

Steve

relentless
    • Total posts: 137
    Up
    Scrooge, post: 135069 wrote:
    The bank does not lose, the card holder does not lose, just the poor business that was done over by some )

Exactly same thing I have felt. The bank told me they have a special ‘fraud team’ that will help when I report suspect orders to them. A very large order came through that I was unsure about so I reported it to them, they told me it was all fine and to send the order to the customer, a day later again I asked the guy are you sure about this cus I’m not and he said yeh yeh all good, ok great large order!

Few weeks later got the fraud letter and then the money taken from my account!
    No accountability or responsibility from the ‘fraud team’ whatsoever when I called them!

So what the purpose of the ‘fraud team’ ? Useless

Divert To Mobile
    Up
    Scrooge, post: 135065 wrote:
    Although to be fair that is super unsecured, email over a great percentage of servers is not encrypted so the transport can be compromised and you have three quarters of the details, furthermore the transaction details to then allow for further exploiting of the server.

I think SSL certificates are over rated unless someone is on a public LAN. To intercept traffic a culprit would have to be at the ISP (extremely unlikely in Australia) or actively conducting a man in the middle attack on the local network (quite possible at some hotspots)

Hack into a 256bit encryption code between two gateways and it is not worth the effort of even contemplating trying to sort that mess out.

The standard is now 2048 bit, 256 isn’t so tough apparently with today’s resources.

The problem is and hear lyes the rubbish spread by the media, e-commerce is safe and secure if you have taken two seconds to check out where you are buying from and the site has simple measures in place for consumer protection.

Why is skimming so popular or credit card theft or the best one EFTPOS receipts because it is easy. There are far easier ways to get hold of details than an e-commerce site. Unless it stores credit card info, that should be made simply illegal. Or even better the Sony network, UGH really!

Both VERY true

Steve

BroodsBigBras
    Up

Feeling rather grateful I have turned to here for advice because I am appreciating all the feedback and different outlooks. Just to clear up I haven’t accepted any credit card details and am not storing any info, I so far only offer bank deposit, paypal and people can pay by credit card via paypal but I don’t see those details so I don’t know if they are or not so I’m at the stage of looking into accepting credit card payments now but have not accepted any in the past and yes I am an online e-commerce site with ashop :)

To be honest when I first started looking spending the few hundred dollars up front with the 3rd party companies did freak me out and I did lean more towards the zero up front payments with big fees over the months, purely because at the moment I feel that this month I have forked out a lot of money on expenses and it just seems like that is all I’m doing (but hey I have 2 ads in Cleo out of it so its not all bad) but I let this one month of expenses cloud my judgement over what is best for me long term (I’m learning along the way).

I think I misunderstood the 3rd party system, I thought I would have to pay St George still a montly fee, plus a percentage of sales and if that didn’t reach the minimum amount then pay that ON TOP OF all the payments and sign up fees to a company such as Eway. After reading Scrooge’s first suggestion about being better off with a third party I’ve realised that I wouldn’t be paying St George all the above fees I would just be paying a sign up cost with Eway and then for me $0.50 per transaction which now looks a lot better if I have understood this correctly.

I already have a merchant account with St George and have checked with them that it can accept payments so that is good and ready to go, so if I understand correctly I just need to now set things up with Eway and go from there if I choose them and their system.

Small business like me at this time the few hundred does seem like a lot but over the space of a year it would be cheaper than the St George terminal by the looks of it, I noticed they mentioned about getting an SSL security certificate, is that something I definitely need being online or is the just having eway set up cover enough security things?

I am sitting here thinking it is probably worth spending more money and be with a company that looks like it is the most trusted and best system with Australia, before I signed up with Ashop I used JustHost and template monster to get my site set up (was a suggestion from a friend) and use them because they were free if I went with one of their sister companies for the cart, I got hacked within 6 days of opening and then hacked multiple times over the space of a weekend 9 months later so I have learned the valuable lesson avoid anything that offers stuff for free and sometimes it pays to spend the extra money to be with the top of the range companies.

Currently reading more into Eway’s page as we speak, am I right in saying that they are one of the biggest and most trusted systems in Aus?

BroodsBigBras
    Up
    Scrooge, post: 135046 wrote:
    What you are saying here is “I have no confidence at all in my business” So you are going to be out of business within a year and it was that $50 a month that broke your back?

Maybe turn that frown upside down, and say this is the first step to being a professional lingerie brand online and now I can work on making more sales, and making my site the best it can be in my niche market.

Really liked this tough love approach and perspective, I don’t have anyone to spin things around like this so this I really appreciated it and it hit home so thankyou :)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 42 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.