Home – New Forums Starting your journey Diet- and wellness coaching

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    aussiemia
    • Total posts: 1
    Up
    ::

Hi guys, this seems to be a great place!

To make a long story very short: we came to Australia from Sweden 6.5 years ago for me to study nursing here in Adelaide. I am 46 and realized pretty quick nursing is nothing I want to continue with.
    For the past ten years Ive been helping friends and family in how to turn away from the general dietary advice and how and what to eat to stay healthy and even regain their health (i.e helping a diabetes type 2 to quit their medication and get a normal blood sugar).

I know this is controversial but its nothing weird or strange, but rather to learn about food that are not processed and in a box. It takes a lot of courage to turn your back to something that you have been told by your doctor or dietician is the ONLY way to eat, and start to think yourself.

This is my passion and what I am very good at, but – I have now been contacted by a chiropractor about maybe working with him and am now a bit nervous.. Its one thing to talk with friends and Mom, a t-o-t-a-l-l-y different story to have a business. I just emailed him a brief information letter about why and how I do this and are crossing everything i’ve got hoping he’ll find it not too spaced out..

Would you turn to someone who don’t have a coaching diploma on the wall? According other coaches its not necessary, since I know what I’m talking about.

Any thoughts?

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up

Hi aussiemia,

Welcome to Flying Solo, and thanks for your kind feedback :)

When I’m not hanging out on Flying Solo, my background is in naturopathy, which means I have professional qualifications in nutrition and I’m familiar with the industry you’re talking about.

I’m sorry if this isn’t what you want to hear, but personally, I wouldn’t do this without having qualifications in a million years.

There are just too many things that could go wrong. Especially if you’re encouraging people to disregard the advice of their doctor or dietitian. For example, what if someone has an undiagnosed illness? Are you confident that your nursing skills will be enough for you to be able to recognise it and know what action to take?

To give you some context, I have been qualified for nearly 20 years, and I would never tell someone to disregard their doctor’s advice (although I might sometimes have a chat with their doctor on their behalf or suggest some questions for the client to ask).

I think you will also face issues such as not being able to get insurance or have your clients claim back part of their payments from their health funds, but those are minor in comparison to the potential to do harm by either making the wrong recommendation or overlooking something serious.

To my mind, if this is the kind of work you want to do, I think your best approach will be to go and gain qualifications in it before you start.

Apologies if I’ve misunderstood and you are in fact qualified in nutrition as well as nursing :o.

All the best,
    Jayne

PerfectNotes-Kathy
    • Total posts: 500
    Up

Hi aussiemia,

I think I have to agree with Jayne. Your major issues will be getting insurance coverage, which you absolutely need to have if you are advising people on anything in a professional capacity.

I have recently changed the way I eat – along the lines that you are suggesting – and I have lost an unknown number of kgs and a fair number of inches, as well as being pretty sure that my blood pressure has dropped as well. As such, a few friends have jokingly suggested that I could also help others to do the same – but without serious study, I wouldn’t think about doing anything other than having a quiet discussion about what is working for me.

Hope you get something sorted out.

Kathy

WhatsThePlanDan
    Participant
    • Total posts: 297
    Up

Hi there,

Firstly – love your philosophy. I agree with your thoughts and approach. I come from a family who have a combined lot of food issues (gatherings on my side combined coeliac, dairy intolerant and soy intolerant – meant we had to get quite creative with dishes :D) and it always drives me crazy when people who are gluten intolerant refuse to buy anything except products labelled gluten free (last time I checked meat and three veg was one of the easiest gluten free meals you can have!). It also bugs me a lot of the advice given out about “dieting”…. anyway moving on…

I do agree with Jayne though that it probably isn’t something you should focus on without being qualified (it only takes one situation to go bad for things to go really bad for you). If it is something you wish to pursue there are plenty of courses around and you never know – you may be able to get some credit or even government funding. I am close to qualifying as an Aromatherapist (its really just a hobby for me so its taken me a number of years to do!) and it has been really interesting learning all the technical stuff that goes with it.

Anyway, good luck and let us know how you go.

Cheers
    Daniel

Simon Maselli (Metamorph)
    • Total posts: 14
    Up

Hey Aussiemia,

I’ll stay out of the legal discussion, I think the others have made some valid points that you should think about.

Ill answer the question about coaching. The most important benefit of a good coach is not their technical knowledge – you can find more technical knowledge on the internet for free than a consultant/coach could ever give you…

The most important benefit is the system the coach uses to get the results. We are talking two systems, first is the system the coach uses to coach you, the second the system the coach give you to achieve whatever it is you want to achieve.

Ok – To answer your question directly. No I wouldn’t work with anyone that wasn’t a qualified coach. That’s because when a coach goes to coaching school they don’t only learn about the technical aspects of the role, they learn about systems of marketing, financials, personnel and other “stuff” to be good at what they do.

To go on a little more, my coaching business has been around in a few forms for a number of years now. I never got my coaching degree and I know that the big players, companies that I wanted to work with, never took me seriously until I completed my MBA.

Nowadays everyone I hire needs to have a minimum of Diploma of Coaching before I even consider them.

Just my thoughts,

Simon

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.