Home – New Forums Selling online Different prices to account for GST in Australia?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    missycandoit
    • Total posts: 3
    Up
    ::

Hey everyone!

Sorry if this is in the wrong category.

Our product will be sold online, and my question is, how do you adjust the price of the product (and postage) to account for the fact that Australian customers are going to have to pay GST, while those who are buying internationally are not going to have to pay the extra.

I don’t want to have to list a different price for Australian customers when it will look like they will have to pay more.

It also makes postage hard to make a flat rate when (as far as I’m aware) I’ll have to charge GST for one country and the cost of postage within Australia will be different. While its easier to make the cost of postage a flat rate for countries such as the UK and USA because they’re closer in cost, but its unfair for Australian customers again to have to pay the same when their cost would actually sit lower.

Help and suggestions appreciated.

Thanks!

AmberS
    • Total posts: 66
    Up

Hi

Not knowing what platform your store is on makes it tricky to be too helpful. However you have to publish the GST inclusive price for Australian customers if you are an Australian business. The tax would then not be applied to purchases outside of Australia (this gives your UK and US customers a happy surprise at check out). Including in the product description that the price includes 10% GST for Aust residents…
    I would assume most platforms are able to apply taxes based on the customer’s country once they have registered.

The other option is different websites for different countries – linked together cohesively, but allows you to customise prices and shipping.

If you are using Woocoomerce, there is a shipping plugin that can sort out those issues for you easily enough, sorry can’t help with other e-commerce platforms.

Hopefully that has helped a little
    Amber

InternetPhenomenon.com
    • Total posts: 12
    Up

Hey Missycandoit,
    Amber’s right. Check out paid online carts. Most will have postage, country specific tax edits on the fly.

For digital products something like 1shoppingcart will work (and you can also manage your email lists from there)

I believe that volusion, infusionsoft etc will manage both digital and physical products too – as well as a host of other things.

Volusion is for smaller operators. Infusionsoft is for bigger operators as the system is way more complex and powerful.

But here’s some food for thought…
    Obviously I don’t know your price point or where most of your sales are coming from but if it’s not too much save yourself the headache and just suck it up… pay for the GST out of the profit and then make a big deal about how australians get free gst… being a global marketplace you’re probably going to make more sales from os anyway.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.