Home – New Forums New here? Share your story Digital Video Production Company

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Kosta_Kondratenko
    • Total posts: 108
    Up
    ::

Hi guys,

My name is Kosta Kondratenko and I just wanted to take a quick moment to introudce myself. I’m an entrepreneur, I operate an importing company however I have just launched a digital video production company called ‘Head Studios’. We have had a great response so far and because I have some challenges coming up I thought a forum to discuss my business problems with other great minds in Australia would be a real asset.

I hope you guys are doing well and taking advantage of all the opportunities that this current economic climate is serving up.

Also, because my company has just launched I do have a couple of $500 video packages available if you are interested. If you forward through your expression of interest I will go through them and if your business if funky and fun enough we will pick you (our company operates in Sydney so sorry if you’re from Perth or Brisbane). Once the company has got four legs we will be charging $2000 (remember it’s a minimum of $3000 to get a video package done normally, and that is the absolute minimum).

Other than that there’s not much more to say. I look forward to speaking to real business people (and not just dreamers) and discussing the intricacies and challenges of operating a sucessful business.

Drop me a line if you have any questions.

Regards
    Kosta Kondratenko

[Former] FS Concierge
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up

Hi Kosta

Nice to meet you! Sounds like you have some busy times ahead. Thanks for joining the forums, and I hope you find your time here valuable.

All the best,
    Jayne

Kosta_Kondratenko
    • Total posts: 108
    Up

Thanks.

romanmongin
    • Total posts: 4
    Up
    Kosta_Kondratenko, post: 19191 wrote:
    Hi guys,

My name is Kosta Kondratenko and I just wanted to take a quick moment to introudce myself. I’m an entrepreneur, I operate an importing company however I have just launched a digital video production company called ‘Head Studios’. We have had a great response so far and because I have some challenges coming up I thought a forum to discuss my business problems with other great minds in Australia would be a real asset.

I hope you guys are doing well and taking advantage of all the opportunities that this current economic climate is serving up.

Also, because my company has just launched I do have a couple of $500 video packages available if you are interested. If you forward through your expression of interest I will go through them and if your business if funky and fun enough we will pick you (our company operates in Sydney so sorry if you’re from Perth or Brisbane). Once the company has got four legs we will be charging $2000 (remember it’s a minimum of $3000 to get a video package done normally, and that is the absolute minimum).

Other than that there’s not much more to say. I look forward to speaking to real business people (and not just dreamers) and discussing the intricacies and challenges of operating a sucessful business.

Drop me a line if you have any questions.

Regards
    Kosta Kondratenko

Hi Kosta !

I also run a video production called One Road Pictures in Sydney, and I tried setting up video packages when I first started. That didn’t work out because we kept under-quoting ourselves.

For instance, we’d spend two full days working on a video worth $500. The client wanted high end motion graphics etc…

I’m just interested to know how you manage to make it work ;)

All the best !

Cheers,
    Roman

Ryan@auteched
    • Total posts: 25
    Up

Hi Kosta,

Welcome to the forum!!

I found this Case study done by Microsoft on how a Video production company used Microsoft Office for greater efficiency which helped them to create a smoother production workflow and improved staff productivity. I am sure you would find it interesting. Here you go: http://bit.ly/esTHFD

Follow our support channel on twitter @msau
    Find free support for Small businesses

EckoDave
    • Total posts: 20
    Up

Hi Kosta/Roman,

First of all, Kosta do you have a website?

I also run a video production company here in Brisbane. How do you guys set your package/price points?

I think I am really under priced from some of the examples I’ve seen. I saw a green screen website welcome video that was all blurry, pixelated logos and poor lighting and they paid probably 3 time what I would have charged for full HD shoot with motion graphics logo.

Interested in hearing your thoughts.

Dave

romanmongin
    • Total posts: 4
    Up
    EckoDave, post: 65745 wrote:
    Hi Kosta/Roman,

I also run a video production company here in Brisbane. How do you guys set your package/price points?

I think I am really under priced from some of the examples I’ve seen. I saw a green screen website welcome video that was all blurry, pixelated logos and poor lighting and they paid probably 3 time what I would have charged for full HD shoot with motion graphics logo.

Dave

Hi Dave,

I had a quick look at your website, and from what I can see, you create some really cool stuff !

I think packages are a good thing, but only if they include a lot of work, (website, a couple of videos, social media marketing… ) It’s good if you can do all these things. So, in that case, it’s worth a few $$$ and a lot of work.

We use to do $500 packages, but the clients would constantly get back to us for more changes, and we would end working at cost without really making money.

So, for smaller jobs, I like to charge by the hour. But for bigger jobs that include various department, packages are really good.

What do you think ?

EckoDave
    Up
    romanmongin, post: 66526 wrote:
    Hi Dave,

I had a quick look at your website, and from what I can see, you create some really cool stuff !

I think packages are a good thing, but only if they include a lot of work, (website, a couple of videos, social media marketing… ) It’s good if you can do all these things. So, in that case, it’s worth a few $$$ and a lot of work.

We use to do $500 packages, but the clients would constantly get back to us for more changes, and we would end working at cost without really making money.

So, for smaller jobs, I like to charge by the hour. But for bigger jobs that include various department, packages are really good.

What do you think ?

Thanks Roman,

I think I might do a bit of both. I know how much to charge for say a Logo animation but some projects I think I need to take an hourly rate approach.

I’ve also found that some clients like to make lots of changes so I think I’ll factor in a revision into the cost and then set something where any extra revisions will be an extra cost again per revision at a rate.

Thanks for your thoughts, I appreciate it :)

Dave

Andrew_McLean
    • Total posts: 6
    Up

Hi Roman and everyone else who has added to this post.
    I run a video production business in Sydney and I’m in exactly the same situation in regards to packages, however I use our $550 videos as an entry point for higher level work. I’m sure you all do the same, but hope that my experience might be of help.

For example, our website is http://www.bricksandbracks.com.au and there is a tab titled “Budget Video”. I get a lot of hits on this tab, but most of my requests are for higher level work. So the cheaper videos that we do are fine – I probably only make $100 out of them, but it’s all relative to the bigger picture.

What strikes me about this business is the idea of creating client perceptions – setting their expectations. People who order a $550 video know in their hearts that they are getting a simple product. But they will ALWAYS try for more. It’s just human nature. In fact, I have a ‘client’ at the moment who had 2 videos made for them completely free of charge (this was a marketing idea) and they are now my most disrespectful, needy and demanding contacts on a daily basis. Just goes to show, it’s not the price or the package that dictates your clients, rather it’s the perception that you set.

So, to make sure that we’re not going to a) dissapoint our clients and b) create more work for ourselves, we always stipulate exactly what they will receive piece by piece, file by file in the initial email confirmation and on our invoice.

Another important rule that I always apply when quoting is “under promise, over deliver”. This phrase is flogged on this site, but is extremely important. When quoting, I go by how many hours the edit will take, equipment and people. There should always be a margin in the quote for making it 10-20% more than the client has requested. That way, if they come back with major changes or ask for something a little extra, we are able to add it in with a smile and not come back asking for more money.

Best of luck to you all, I hope my experience is useful. It’s a very difficult industry and as a soloist it can be very stressful, but also very rewarding.

All the best,
    Andrew

sensory fx
    • Total posts: 92
    Up
    EckoDave, post: 65745 wrote:
    Hi Kosta/Roman,

Dave

Hi Dave

In your intro video, you talk about building trust and ultimately demonstrating credability and professionalism. But im affraid seeing you sitting in a playground, looking somewhat like you belong there ( looking very young ) doesn’t instill confidence for me.

Obviously, you know what you are talking about by listening to you, and you present very well, but the initial impression is somewhat off putting. Also, the 2 camera shots dont work and are only distracting.

The same presentation, in a more corporate setting, wearing more business looking atire would make for a much more professional presentation.

Also a bit of advice. if you are looking to impress the business market, dont include ‘wedding videos’. Wedding videos are all well and good, but are a completely different, and lesser market.

EckoDave
    Up
    sensory fx, post: 66644 wrote:
    Hi Dave

In your intro video, you talk about building trust and ultimately demonstrating credability and professionalism. But im affraid seeing you sitting in a playground, looking somewhat like you belong there ( looking very young ) doesn’t instill confidence for me.

Obviously, you know what you are talking about by listening to you, and you present very well, but the initial impression is somewhat off putting. Also, the 2 camera shots dont work and are only distracting.

The same presentation, in a more corporate setting, wearing more business looking atire would make for a much more professional presentation.

Also a bit of advice. if you are looking to impress the business market, dont include ‘wedding videos’. Wedding videos are all well and good, but are a completely different, and lesser market.

Hi Sensory,

Thanks for your feedback and for visiting my site. I am used to being behind the camera, not in front of it so I appreciate your comments.

When I update the video next time I will consider the location more. I just wanted something interesting in the background and didn’t think too much about what people might be thinking when they see it.

I see green screen or corporate welcome intro videos too often. I don’t want to look like every other video business out there. I have examples that show the quality I can do but I also want to give people someone real they can connect with. I find that this connection is important for me as a small business.

It’s interesting though how different people respond to different things.

Also, wedding videos are something that I do so having examples on my site is necessary.

Thanks for your feedback. Also, bit of feedback for you: Would love to see a real name in your profile and a bit about what your business does. Some people prefer to deal with real people too.

Cheers,
    Dave

sensory fx
    • Total posts: 92
    Up

I guess with nearly 20 years in the industry, I can easily see the mistakes you are making and likely to make. But we all learn from our mistakes and must all make them.

I can understand that you want to ‘be different’ but different doest really cut it in this industry. Don’t be different, be better …

With your approach you are limiting your market ;)

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.