Home – New Forums Marketing mastery Direct Mail: Window faced vs plain faced envelopes

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    MikeSmith
    • Total posts: 38
    Up
    ::

Good morning everyone,

I know that there are a few direct mail type businesses on Flying Solo and no doubt there will be a few more people here that have had a fair bit of Direct Mail experience.

Does anyone know of any study, survey or research that has been done to measure the effectiveness of Window Faced envelopes vs Plain Faced envelopes? I’d love to have a look into what gets opened more and which causes the best result.

Also, handwritten vs typed addresses, although I daresay I know the answer to that already…

What experiences have you had while using Direct Mail as a lead generation tool?

Alan Maddick
    • Total posts: 410
    Up

We have done plenty of direct mail in the past both handwritten & window faced with good strike rate.

Going forwards we will be using hand addressed envelopes preferably interesting colours.

AgentMail
    • Total posts: 1,741
    Up

Hi Mike,

There is a lot of information and studies about the best methods of direct mail, unfortunately, very few are done without the backing of someone like Australia Post, Fedex etc. trying to gain a certain angle on what works best.

One of my customers was sending 2,500 letters per week, and as they had found a study that said stamped letters are more likely to be opened than postage paid, they wanted to do that. When I showed them the cost difference, not just in time but in physical dollars, they quickly changed their minds.

Most of my clients used plain faced envelopes, as I think the feeling is window faced envelope with printed address is more like a bill – my argument is always that if someone is choosing not to open a bill, do you think they are the kind of client you wish to attract (unless of course you are a debt management company)

I think the bottom line is, most reasonable people will open any letter that is addressed to them, they key is in having the right content for them to read it.

And yes, handwritten envelopes would be great, but try doing 100, or better yet 1,000 and tell me that is a practical use of your time :)

Ok, for some non-opinion based (apparantly factual) information, have a look at the following site:

http://www.openuptomail.com.au

Note – site is run by Australia Post :)

AgentMail
    Up
    SmallBusinessWorks, post: 72247 wrote:
    We have done plenty of direct mail in the past both handwritten & window faced with good strike rate.

Going forwards we will be using hand addressed envelopes preferably interesting colours.

Hi Alan,

From personal experience, I would not recommend interesting colour envelopes – it reeks of marketing/junk mail. You may be a little luckier, if you are B2B marketing, but overall, the letters that get opened are the ones that are generic and just look like any other piece of mail – then POW you hit them with some awesome content :)

MikeSmith
    • Total posts: 38
    Up
    AgentMail, post: 72249 wrote:
    Most of my clients used plain faced envelopes, as I think the feeling is window faced envelope with printed address is more like a bill – my argument is always that if someone is choosing not to open a bill, do you think they are the kind of client you wish to attract (unless of course you are a debt management company)

Hah, that’s an interesting point that I’ve never considered. A nice little piece of self-qualification!

And I absolutely agree with you – content is king. Without content, no amount of fancy stuff done on the front end is going to help. “Without the ability to convert a prospect to a client, no amount of marketing is going to help”.

I’d like to think that our content is pretty good and I’m looking for small tweaks to try, test and measure to see if I can adjust the effectiveness of our campaigns. But you’re probably right in that, for the most part, it’s likely to be much of a muchness.

Jake@EmroyPrint
    • Total posts: 1,117
    Up

Hi Mike,

I can’t reference any formal studies, only base this on my own experience organising distribution for my clients.

– Window / plain face – no noticeable difference in response rate.
    – Self stamped – Higher response rate
    – Hand written addresses – higher response rate (Can also be substituted for a handwritten font if large campaign)
    – Coloured envelopes – Higher response rate for bills / invoices, lower response rate for direct mail marketing.

My experience is pretty similar with AgentMail’s – I agree completely that most people will open something addressed to them personally and in most cases to the company.

It’s all about the first impression they have when opening the letter – if they think “This is going to be junk” they will have that mindset when reading the letter.

– Jake

travelmaster
    • Total posts: 200
    Up
    AgentMail, post: 72249 wrote:
    Hi Mike,

And yes, handwritten envelopes would be great, but try doing 100, or better yet 1,000 and tell me that is a practical use of your time :)

Agentmail,

I too have been strugling with this dilemma of how to deal with sending handwritten letters to 100s or 1000s adresses at a time. Believeing or not I have finally found a cost effective answer and I do know it works because we use it all the time.

I can’t really write about here on the forum but if you or or anyone else is interested in finding out more please send me a pm.

chook
    • Total posts: 40
    Up

I am looking to do direct marketing campaign when I launch my site. Some great ideas here – thanks.

Are there any spam type laws for direct mail marketing like there are for email marketing? My letters/advertising will essentially be cold calling (by mail). I want to address my marketing letters to individuals and small business’s who are in my industry.

AgentMail
    Up

Hi Chook,

There are no laws regarding direct mail, but you need to be aware of the privacy act in terms of your data sourcing.

For most of my customers, they are able to get lists of addresses and just address the letter as ‘to the homeowner’ or something similar. If you have sourced your contacts from an ethical source, you will be fine :)

Please feel free to get in touch if you need any assistance with your campaign

chook
    • Total posts: 40
    Up

Great. I will get my address’s from their websites. I only have about 100 to do for my first drop but will keep you in mind if I do a bigger one later. Thanks.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.