Home – New Forums Marketing mastery Direct Mailing – Making it Special

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Breevree73
    • Total posts: 112
    Up
    ::

Hi Everyone.

I’ve purchased a mailing list of 200 contacts, with the view of testing this type of marketing for my business.

Once I receive my printed materials, I’ll be sending them out, then following up with a phone call.

The question I have is this:

Is there anything I can do to make my direct mailout stick in people’s minds? The point is that when I ring to say “Hi, It’s Bree from BV International” they go “OOoooh! You’re the one who sent that …… ” Even if they have looked at it, and thrown it in the garbage, I want to do something to aid their recall.

So, does anyone have any ideas what I can do?

Bree

mflying
    • Total posts: 2
    Up
    Breevree73, post: 160159 wrote:
    Hi Everyone.

I’ve purchased a mailing list of 200 contacts, with the view of testing this type of marketing for my business.

Once I receive my printed materials, I’ll be sending them out, then following up with a phone call.

The question I have is this:

Is there anything I can do to make my direct mailout stick in people’s minds? The point is that when I ring to say “Hi, It’s Bree from BV International” they go “OOoooh! You’re the one who sent that …… ” Even if they have looked at it, and thrown it in the garbage, I want to do something to aid their recall.

So, does anyone have any ideas what I can do?

Bree

Bree,

it is usual that your targeted customer will open a mail and may/maynot throw in garbage.

If they have thrown it in garbage, they may not be interested OR one of the staff member thru it away OR your marketing material failed to grab their attention (your phone call may change that)

Anyway,you can start conversation, by introducing yourself to start with , mention the mailer you sent out, ask them if they had time to go thru it, if they did
    go thru it, offer them to give more information or provide example of proven success of you existing client.

If they haven’t had a chance to go thru information, offer them to run thru a basic concept and schedule a call back to provide more information.

Just my 2c!

Expressway
    • Total posts: 18
    Up

Hi Bree

Don’t just post out a flyer send something out that they will most likely keep,like a pen or magnet. A free gift stick in their mind and that way when you ring you can ask did you get the ? I sent you.
    This helps make an impression but does cost a little more though.

hope this helps
    Stephen

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up

Hi Bree,

This article has some great tips in it: Improve your results with direct mail campaigns

Hope that helps,
    Jayne

PS: Please let us know what you decide to do!

AgentMail
    • Total posts: 1,741
    Up

Hi Bree,

Firstly well done for actually purchasing a list – this is a big first step that many people overlook.

As it is a nice sized list, you have the opportunity to be a bit creative. What it really comes down to is what the value of gaining a client is worth to you. Not just getting a sale, but what is the average lifetime value of a client to you. If they order $500 from you once a month, and your average customer uses you for 12 months, you can work these things out etc.

So once you know this, you can decide how much you are willing to invest per contact.

Bulky mail is always better received – another step up from that is a parcel that needs to be signed for – have you ever received a parcel you had to sign for and not paid attention to what’s inside?

Some sort of promotional item is great, whether a mousemat, a coffee mug (especially good in large companies) or whatever – you can choose what best suits your brand.

A general direct mail campaign should only be used in direct response, where you want the customer to pick up the phone and buy something right now. If you are looking to build a long term relationship, it is worth spending the dollars up front – think of it like dating :)

Even better, if you can think of a promotional item where you mail half of it to them, then you can ‘drop’ the other part in when you catch up for a meeting.

Just some ideas to get you thinking :)

Natalie Khoo
    • Total posts: 67
    Up

Hi Bree. Great job looking at printed marketing options. People are getting inundated so much with email these days that printed campaigns can work wonders when done right.

I would suggest you do your best to customise the content on your campaign. Apart from trying to use their correct name (of course), how about you ask why you have chosen those 200 names? Is it because they are male, female, live in a particular district or have registered in interest somewhere related to what you do?

Try to write copy that makes them think you’ve written the campaign especially for them. That should help contribute to a memorable DM experience (along with some of the other great tips mentioned in this thread!).

AgentMail
    • Total posts: 1,741
    Up

Further to Natalie’s great tips, I have seen some really powerful uses of this personalised option, when you have a great database. Using real estate as an example, you can use simple merge fields to create a truly personalised mail piece. If in your database you had a field called property details, and for example had a note of ‘beautiful lowset villa’. When you mail merge, you can use this field to add a description about their property, which is customised for each contact. Similarly with other details and in other fields. You can even go to the length of having variable images for each letter, which is not as hard as you think to set up. Imagine if you broke your database down into age catagories, as a holiday tour operator – you could use a picture of a cruise for over 50’s, an exclusive resort for 30-50s and an all inclusive ‘club med’ holiday for 18-30s. It is all possible if you have the right information.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.