Home – New Forums Get productive Dividing time between different businesses

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Sheila
    • Total posts: 32
    Up
    ::

For those people who have several different “irons in the fire”;can you suggest ways to make it easier to manage the day to day handling of everything from accounts to Zoho and everthting else in between !

At the moment I am dealing with everything on a “as it comes up basis” with the exception of items I have flagged as important which I do first thing each day.

I am sure this is not the most effective way of working in one respect but if I try to separate the two businesses I am working on I feel I am also doubling up on some things. Being relatively new to a lot of this I am sure others out there have had to deal with the same types of issues.

cheers
    Sheila
    http://www.idoby2celebrants.com.au + my yet unlaunched online business

rowan
    • Total posts: 24
    Up

Hi,
    I totally understand where you are coming from, I also can’t help but have many things going on at once.
    I have found that it is very important to plan each day or I get sidetracked and end up doing little, even though it seems like I have been busy all day.

My best advice is to:

1, Make a list each night of what you need to do the next day – concentrating on one business per day, and making sure it covers things that you can easily get done, you can go onto other matters when the list is finished. make sure you don’t write down too many jobs to do or you will give up on it if you can’t get them all done.

2, Make sure you take at least one day off totally each week. When you are passionate about your home business, it is easy to work hard seven days a week. This is not only unfair on your family, but a day off, especially if you are ‘champing at the bit’ will give you time to think and find new ideas.

3, Filing. Make sure your paperwork is neat and where you can easily find everything. This makes working on different projects a lot easier and more efficient.

Cheers,
    Rowan

FletcherTax
    • Total posts: 347
    Up

Sheila

This is a common issue even if with people who only have one business.

May I suggest, planning your week in advance from the start. ie Monday to be Marketing day, Tuesday & Thursday to be client days, Wend to be accounts and Friday to be something which is the least painful but needs to be done.

This way you know exactly what you have to do on a particular day and place unexpected, or expected, appointments into set timeframes.

Hope that’s of some help,

Janna

Sheila
    Up

Thanks Rowan and Janna

Great suggestions, and I can combine the two to make life a lot more efficient. I must admit I hadn’t thought of concentrating on just the one business on a particular day. That way I would feel less as if I was doubling up.

Re the filing…I am hampered by the fact that we are staying with friends until our home sells. We’ve been here 3 months already and who knows how much longer. My “office” is all in boxes which makes it harder than normal to be organised. I did buy myself a couple of concertina files so I do have a little bit of a filing system going but it is not the best.

cheers Sheila

FletcherTax
    • Total posts: 347
    Up

Sheila

Don’t know if within budget – but maybe you should rent out a room for yourself until your house gets sold.

(Kennards Hire usually have great deals or maybe through a place like Servcorp or similar).

Best wishes with the sale,

Janna

Sheila
    Up

Thanks Janna but unfortunately we’re in the position of having very little income at present so this is way out of budget. but a great suggestion if we had the money!

A friend works from a similar set up. Shares things like photcopier, computers , advertising budgets,office staff etc with 3 other small businesses and they operate under one larger company name (with bigger buying powers) . They all however have their own customers/income.

An added benefit is that if one of them is sick or on holiday the other 3 will help keep the business running by answering calls etc and covering emergencies.

cheers Sheila

Sheila
    Up

I have spent the day reorganising things so that I can put the above advice into practice. Prior to this I had been dealing with things (including my filing) very much on an ad hoc basis so everything was really muddled.

I plan to divide my day into mornings for one business, and afternoons for the other with set days for dealing with different types of work eg accounts, marketing etc. It makes sense to me doing it that way and I guess time will tell whether it works. Thanks for the great advice folks.

cheers Sheila
    http://www.idoby2celebrants.com.au

Karen Wardle
    • Total posts: 363
    Up
    rowan, post: 28810 wrote:
    Hi,
    I totally understand where you are coming from, I also can’t help but have many things going on at once.
    I have found that it is very important to plan each day or I get sidetracked and end up doing little, even though it seems like I have been busy all day.

My best advice is to:

1, Make a list each night of what you need to do the next day – concentrating on one business per day, and making sure it covers things that you can easily get done, you can go onto other matters when the list is finished. make sure you don’t write down too many jobs to do or you will give up on it if you can’t get them all done.

Hi Sheila

I agree with Rowan in that you should make a list at the end of each work day, outlining what needs to be achieved the following day. But I disagree that what is on your list should be easy. There are many tasks in business that we must tackle. Some are pleasurable and some are a pain. Important and easy often don’t go hand in hand. If we only choose to do that which is easy or pleasurable then we won’t last long.

Following is a method that I use. It won’t work for everyone but it has worked for me and others that I have shared it with and I hope that it may work for you too.

I have 3 lists that I work from.

The first is a 5 subject spiral notebook A4 size
    – this is my action plan. It contains everything that I want to do,plan,create, sell,promote, offer etc it contains marketing ideas, networking opportunities anything that I think of. It is aligned with my business plan. It is in point form and is where I jot down every idea that jumps into my head. I write them down and then forget about it until I need it . As I tick of some things of as complete, I add others. This list will never be complete because I am always adding to it.This book sits very near my desk and some days I add to it ten or more times and other times 3-4 days may pass and I add nothing.

Then I have a monthly list. This is basically a list that I plan in advance, usually one to two months ahead, that is a list of everything that I want to achieve for the particular month. I have these on a bulldog clip which I have on a corkboard in front of my desk. For example at the moment I have Feb, March and April up there but only the current month stays on the top. Again, the tasks on this list have been determined based on what is in my business plan.

Then I have a daily list. Each item on the daily list has to be crucial to me achieving what is on the monthly list.

One of the things that I struggle with is spending too much time ‘researching’. The internet is like a bad drug at times, it sucks you in even when you know that you shouldn’t really be doing it. After Robert Gerrish’s most recent e-zine ,and his reference to a related article, I have scaled back my email subscriptions to only those topics that are essential to me achieving what is in my plan.

It might sound complicated or too involved but it is basically three lists but without a business plan you will not know what items should be on your lists in the first place.

2, Make sure you take at least one day off totally each week. When you are passionate about your home business, it is easy to work hard seven days a week. This is not only unfair on your family, but a day off, especially if you are ‘champing at the bit’ will give you time to think and find new ideas

This is great advice! You will become more productive and have more ideas when you take some time away from your business.

Sheila, your current living arrangements may not be ideal but with a little organisation I am sure that you can improve your time a little.

Good luck.

Angus
    • Total posts: 21
    Up

Hi Sheila
    Outsource, outsource and outsource!!
    If you can afford it, get someone else to do it…(obviously quality permitting).
    I know what it’s like running more than 1 business at a time and would not hesitate in outsourcing as much as possible for any new venture. You save time and get the benefit of experts working for you. You also establish your business in a way that allows you to work ‘on’ the business rather than in it. If your long term business model can’t afford outsourcing when it’s up and running, then I’d suggest looking at your product and pricing mix as it suggests you always be working ‘in’ the business.
    cheers and good luck!
    Angus Morrison
    http://www.liftbusiness.com.au/

Accounts Studio
    • Total posts: 516
    Up

Hey Karen
    Sounds like I need you to come and organise my weeks :)
    x

Karen Wardle, post: 28956 wrote:
    Hi Sheila

I agree with Rowan in that you should make a list at the end of each work day, outlining what needs to be achieved the following day. But I disagree that what is on your list should be easy. There are many tasks in business that we must tackle. Some are pleasurable and some are a pain. Important and easy often don’t go hand in hand. If we only choose to do that which is easy or pleasurable then we won’t last long.

Following is a method that I use. It won’t work for everyone but it has worked for me and others that I have shared it with and I hope that it may work for you too.

I have 3 lists that I work from.

The first is a 5 subject spiral notebook A4 size
    – this is my action plan. It contains everything that I want to do,plan,create, sell,promote, offer etc it contains marketing ideas, networking opportunities anything that I think of. It is aligned with my business plan. It is in point form and is where I jot down every idea that jumps into my head. I write them down and then forget about it until I need it . As I tick of some things of as complete, I add others. This list will never be complete because I am always adding to it.This book sits very near my desk and some days I add to it ten or more times and other times 3-4 days may pass and I add nothing.

Then I have a monthly list. This is basically a list that I plan in advance, usually one to two months ahead, that is a list of everything that I want to achieve for the particular month. I have these on a bulldog clip which I have on a corkboard in front of my desk. For example at the moment I have Feb, March and April up there but only the current month stays on the top. Again, the tasks on this list have been determined based on what is in my business plan.

Then I have a daily list. Each item on the daily list has to be crucial to me achieving what is on the monthly list.

One of the things that I struggle with is spending too much time ‘researching’. The internet is like a bad drug at times, it sucks you in even when you know that you shouldn’t really be doing it. After Robert Gerrish’s most recent e-zine ,and his reference to a related article, I have scaled back my email subscriptions to only those topics that are essential to me achieving what is in my plan.

It might sound complicated or too involved but it is basically three lists but without a business plan you will not know what items should be on your lists in the first place.

This is great advice! You will become more productive and have more ideas when you take some time away from your business.

Sheila, your current living arrangements may not be ideal but with a little organisation I am sure that you can improve your time a little.

Good luck.

Accounts Studio
    • Total posts: 516
    Up

This is one I struggle with trying to run 3 businesses. It is all too tempting to constantly fire fight but you really need to have a weekly plan – try this template – http://www.vertex42.com/ExcelTemplates/work-schedule-template.html – it is fantastic and free and you can just change the month and week. Make a list of everything you need to fit into your week, personal and business, then put into order of priority – include things like cooking dinner, supermarket shopping, marketing, finance, research etc etc. Then start placing them into the schedule one by one.

Sheila
    Up

Wow, I am getting so many great ideas. Thanks everyone.

Since I first posted….I have completely reorganised my office space and files to make it easier to separate the different businesses when I work on them.

I have written up schedules for when I plan to work on each business and what part of that business I will be concentrating on at a particular time.

We registered the business name for the second business and got a lot of information regarding accounts/taxation (adding this second business in has changed how we have to operate, as before this we did not need to be registered for GST). Husband has got more interested and is taking over the money side of things totally. He enjoys it, I don’t and I find it hard to understand. He did a bookkeeping course some time ago and with the help of our accountant will be keeping that side of things on track.

On a personal note…that has been the biggest impact because although the businesses are in both names he has left all the business side of things to me as he has never been interested.He has always kept the money side of things going but because he was never interested at all I was the one who dealt with everything else and was the driving force behind everything we do. Now I feel things are a lot more even.

once again thanks for everyone’s help

cheers Sheila
    http://www.idoby2celebrants.com.au

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.