Home – New Forums Starting your journey DIY website or web designer?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    karlreynolds
    • Total posts: 9
    Up
    ::

Greetings community,

I need a bit of advice. I’m looking at creating a website to help showcase my photography services. I’m pretty strapped for $$ as I’m just starting out on top of my day job. So I’m tossing up between a DIY website option or biting the bullet and looking for an affordable web designer… I have a few questions that I would love some help answering:

1. In general terms (as I know it varies!), what sort of starter budget would I be looking to commission a photographic 2-3 page website with a web designer?
    2. What is the best DIY solution out there?
    3. How complex is it to use?
    4. What are the challenges with attempting a DIY solution?
    5. How did you create your first business website? DIY or web designer?

Any advice from other business owners would be hugely appreciated.

Have a great day.

Karl.

bb1
    Participant
    • Total posts: 4,485
    Up

I would say that 70% of DIY websites we are asked to review on here are woeful, so unless you have real talent in design, don’t do it. Or have a looks at some of the review people have given on here.

But having said that I would say that 40 to 50% of websites done by professionals that we have being asked to review, have also being woeful, so take from that what you will.

Good luck, the web space both design and SEO from what I can see is unregulated and open to every Tom, Dick and Harry to rip off your money, and destroy your business before you even start.

karlreynolds
    Up

Thanks for the advice Bert. Sounds like quality can be an issue either way and it’s best to choose wisely.

bb1
    Participant
    • Total posts: 4,485
    Up
    karlreynolds, post: 265867, member: 114902 wrote:
    Thanks for the advice Bert. Sounds like quality can be an issue either way and it’s best to choose wisely.

Yes do you due diligence, some of the DIY ones I have seen have being better then the worst of the designers ones, I know I will be in trouble for saying this, but check out their other jobs, and not just the ones they proudly display on their own website. But the ones they want to hide from you.

centrum
    • Total posts: 1
    Up

Hi Karl, It is not difficult to build your own. There are plenty of templates out there for photographers or you can build from scratch. I work with many solo business owners to build their brands and networks, and websites are part of that brand. You can upgrade to a professionally built bespoke site later if you want but a premium template on the WordPress platform can get you off the ground. Your website should be the entry point to your funnel rather than an online brochure. Just Google “premium WordPress theme photographer” and see if you find any you like. Also check out Divi by Elegant Themes or Elementor. Also check out Kartra as you can manage everything for your funnel in one place and create website from inside the platform (no extra hosting). I’d be happy to talk you through the set up process for WordPress or Kartra over Skype or Zoom (no charge and you can share your screen) as it is worth understanding the process so you can update and make changes yourself. Go to soloceo.com and contact me if you need help. Also, this post is posting me as a new member which I am not – Listed on Flying Solo as Kim McGuinness :)

0813studio
    • Total posts: 6
    Up

Hello Karl. I think it depends on your expectation of your website. These days it is indeed all about GOOGLE RANKING. If it is only used as an online gallery that you don’t expect top 10 ranking on Google and you will drive traffic by doing other marketing promo like hard calling, brochure delivery, other social media marketing…etc., then I would say DIY would be ok.

If you expect your website to rank top 10 organically on google and the website is your main one and only marketing tool, then probably it might be a wise idea to engage someone professional to do your website. This will help your SEO ranking on google with the right set-up backstage, quality back-links, focused keywords, …to name a few.

karlreynolds
    Up
    centrum, post: 265875, member: 8267 wrote:
    Hi Karl, It is not difficult to build your own. There are plenty of templates out there for photographers or you can build from scratch. I work with many solo business owners to build their brands and networks, and websites are part of that brand. You can upgrade to a professionally built bespoke site later if you want but a premium template on the WordPress platform can get you off the ground. Your website should be the entry point to your funnel rather than an online brochure. Just Google “premium WordPress theme photographer” and see if you find any you like. Also check out Divi by Elegant Themes or Elementor. Also check out Kartra as you can manage everything for your funnel in one place and create website from inside the platform (no extra hosting). I’d be happy to talk you through the set up process for WordPress or Kartra over Skype or Zoom (no charge and you can share your screen) as it is worth understanding the process so you can update and make changes yourself. Go to soloceo.com and contact me if you need help. Also, this post is posting me as a new member which I am not – Listed on Flying Solo as Kim McGuinness :)
    Thanks Kim. Kartra looks interesting, I’ll dive in and have a deeper look this week. Thanks for the offer of help, I may be in touch if I can’t get my head around it. Have a great week.
    karlreynolds
    Up
    0813studio, post: 266034, member: 111104 wrote:
    Hello Karl. I think it depends on your expectation of your website. These days it is indeed all about GOOGLE RANKING. If it is only used as an online gallery that you don’t expect top 10 ranking on Google and you will drive traffic by doing other marketing promo like hard calling, brochure delivery, other social media marketing…etc., then I would say DIY would be ok.

If you expect your website to rank top 10 organically on google and the website is your main one and only marketing tool, then probably it might be a wise idea to engage someone professional to do your website. This will help your SEO ranking on google with the right set-up backstage, quality back-links, focused keywords, …to name a few.
    There’s definitely a lot of chat about SEO/M on this forum. Thanks for the advice, still figuring out what other channels I may use.

LarissaPopowski
    • Total posts: 7
    Up

It maybe worth doing a short SEO course yourself if organic ranking is important. You may eventually decide to outsource the more technical components but it will help know what questions to ask and how to quickly spot quality service providers. There are some good free SEO courses around.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.