Home Forums Tech talk DIY Website recommendation – wordpress vs wix vs sqaurespace vs Joomla

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    Sparkling
    Participant
    • Total posts: 10

Hi all,

I am clueless about all these DIY website companies that exist and it would be great to get some advice which company to use.
    I think most of my customers will be generated through the Facebook, but I would like to build a simple website, that outlines the services that I provide, maybe also a blog that is attached to it. Low cost is important for me at this point in time as the business is only a side gig.

Can anyone put me in the right direction on which company to chose and why?

Thank you,
    sparkling :)

Paul – FS Concierge
    • Total posts: 3,127

Wix is less work but you don’t own your own website.

WordPress with a theme is probably best but will take some research to do well.

Have a look at Themeforrest

Cheers

SeeMySite
    • Total posts: 15

Hi Sparkling…Its really a personal preference. I use and love Wix, but that’s just me. I’ve found it great for SEO and also simply walking you through the steps that you need to be mindful of when creating a new website. If you’re not a wordpress guru and techie then IMHO Wix is a good tool. I’m sure others will have favourites too.

bb1
    Participant
    • Total posts: 4,472

The comments above are all interesting, but I think if you do a search on FS about SEO and wix, the majority of the people who know something about SEO say wix is rubbish. But I am only going by what the ”experts” say. So don’t quote me on that.

As far as owning your website, does anyone really own your website, unless you are hosting it on your own servers, you own not much at all really.

Greg_M
    • Total posts: 1,691

If you just want simple, forget WordPress. There’s nothing simple about it.

I’ll throw another one into the mix;

https://au.godaddy.com/websites/website-builder

I never thought I’d ever recommend Godaddy for anything…but I’ve just spent a few hours setting up a simple site for a client.

I’m a hard marker on website performance and expected a Godaddy site would be crushed when I ran it through Googles test tools.

I was wrong! It met every performance bench mark Google sets, from site speed, best practices, security, mobile view, accessibility and basic SEO. That’s something I’ve yet to see any WordPress site achieve.

I’m with [USER=53375]@bb1[/USER] on the “ownership” thing. What do you really own? It’s just the content and images imo…the rest is just lines of code, free to anyone anywhere usually. The better options like Squarespace allow you to migrate your stuff any time. I think the security and maintenance issues make any form of “self hosting” more trouble than it’s worth to a microbusiness.

Sparkling
    Participant

Thank you to all your recommendations and opinions. I will do some more research and let you know how I go.
    I just had a look at the GoDaddy option and yes, it is easy to use and I was impressed how good the webpage looked within a few minutes!

I will keep you updated of how I go.

Ben_Mandeville_Clarke
    • Total posts: 8

Hey Sparkling, I personally use SquareSpace. I find that it’s the easiest to wrap my head around (since I’m not very tech-oriented when it comes to websites and HTML / CSS, etc.). It’s easy enough to choose themes and add pictures and text, etc. . I have used WordPress in the past and it honestly made my head spin!

For me, I also hired someone for less than $100 on Fiverr to put together my SquareSpace website (which is a simple one pager). In the past, I’ve hired great people on Fiverr to put together a WordPress site (i.e. install the theme, add Instagram feeds, etc, etc.) for I think it was around $200. I found it was a great investment and most importantly it saved me from the headache of trying to create a presentable website myself and enabled me to instead focus on my strengths! :) I’m not sure how you define low cost, but in my opinion you can find great people on Fiverr to put together a really professional looking, consumer friendly website for < $200 and in less than 2 days.

Sparkling
    Participant
    Ben_Mandeville_Clarke, post: 268930, member: 117311 wrote:
    Hey Sparkling, I personally use SquareSpace. I find that it’s the easiest to wrap my head around (since I’m not very tech-oriented when it comes to websites and HTML / CSS, etc.). It’s easy enough to choose themes and add pictures and text, etc. . I have used WordPress in the past and it honestly made my head spin!

For me, I also hired someone for less than $100 on Fiverr to put together my SquareSpace website (which is a simple one pager). In the past, I’ve hired great people on Fiverr to put together a WordPress site (i.e. install the theme, add Instagram feeds, etc, etc.) for I think it was around $200. I found it was a great investment and most importantly it saved me from the headache of trying to create a presentable website myself and enabled me to instead focus on my strengths! :) I’m not sure how you define low cost, but in my opinion you can find great people on Fiverr to put together a really professional looking, consumer friendly website for < $200 and in less than 2 days. Thank you for your ideas, Ben! I have also had a look at Square Space and their templates etc look great, and its quite simple to use. I will do this myslef but will be onto Fiverr to get some logo designs :-) Good luck with your new venture! :-)

Ben_Mandeville_Clarke
    • Total posts: 8
    Sparkling, post: 268934, member: 117280 wrote:
    Thank you for your ideas, Ben! I have also had a look at Square Space and their templates etc look great, and its quite simple to use. I will do this myslef but will be onto Fiverr to get some logo designs :) Good luck with your new venture! :)

No worries Sparkling and thanks! Also, if you would like my recommendation for logo designers on Fiverr at very reasonable prices, just let me know. In fact, the lady from Fiverr that designed the logo for my Square Space site created, hands down, three of best logos I’ve ever had (she created three for me to choose from for I think it was around 54 dollars, which in my experience is inexpensive for a quality logo…I can tell you it was EXTREMELY hard for me to choose between the three).

Sparkling
    Participant
    Ben_Mandeville_Clarke, post: 268936, member: 117311 wrote:
    No worries Sparkling and thanks! Also, if you would like my recommendation for logo designers on Fiverr at very reasonable prices, just let me know. In fact, the lady from Fiverr that designed the logo for my Square Space site created, hands down, three of best logos I’ve ever had (she created three for me to choose from for I think it was around 54 dollars, which in my experience is inexpensive for a quality logo…I can tell you it was EXTREMELY hard for me to choose between the three).

Hi Ben,

I would love to know who you used on Fiverr. Maybe it would be best to send me your designers name per Message?
    Thanks for your help! Its great to get a first hand recommendation!

Cheers,
    Sparkling

Sparkling
    Participant

HI all,

after looking at all the options, I have decided to create a webpage with GoDaddy. I have found it was easiest to use, and I am impressed how good it looks. Its also a little cheaper than the squarespace option and the Wix business option. Thanks for the great info! I never thought creating a webpage was that easy :-)

heylouise
    Participant
    • Total posts: 86

Cool. I hope you have a chance to come back here and let us know how you went with GoDaddy or if you need further help.

CephIT
    • Total posts: 26

Hi [USER=117280]@Sparkling[/USER]

Apologies for being a bit late. It’s great that you have made your decision. But I do want to talk a little about what you might do into the future.

With your website, the tools that you use to build your website will work well when you are small. I do find that once you get bigger or have to deal with some extra functionality, maybe some eCommerce, and other integrations, like sending information to a CRM, or other applications, you will eventually better off writing a website ( Good ol, HTML, CSS, JS ).
    Even WordPress, Joomla, (Insert favourite CMS here ) get a bit too complex and are better off serving websites that your change often.

John Debrincat
    • Total posts: 963

eCorner has a great offer for anyone who wants to go online called #stayopen. You can start an online store for free and not pay for 3 months. Then you are on a month to month basis and cancel at anytime. It is also based on our new ecommerce platform for small business. Fully responsive designs with drag and drop editor.

• Free for 3 months
    • Pay in AU$
    • No additional fees or charges
    • 25+ free themes
    • Supports eBay, Amazon, Google
    • Supports PayPal, Stripe, eWAY and Afterpay
    • Supports Australia Post
    • Australian based, managed and supported
    • Australian hosting is included

For more information go to http://www.ecorner.com.au/stayopen.

Why send your money overseas and pay in US$ when you can support Australian business.

Message me if you have questions.

John

Wozza
    • Total posts: 16

Hi @Sparkling

Please tell me you didn’t go with GoDaddy website…

Out of all the options you listed WordPress is the easiest to use and most user friendly. It is also the most SEO friendly as Bert has already said Wix, Squarespace are awful from an SEO point of view (SEO = getting found online)

If you are selling products online Shopify is also a good, easy option and they have a free 3 month trial at the moment.

Cheers

Brian

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.