Home Forums Tech talk DIY Website recommendation – wordpress vs wix vs sqaurespace vs Joomla

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    John Debrincat
    • Total posts: 963
    Wozza, post: 269393, member: 117204 wrote:
    Hi @Sparkling

Please tell me you didn’t go with GoDaddy website…

Out of all the options you listed WordPress is the easiest to use and most user friendly. It is also the most SEO friendly as Bert has already said Wix, Squarespace are awful from an SEO point of view (SEO = getting found online)

If you are selling products online Shopify is also a good, easy option and they have a free 3 month trial at the moment ( upgraded from 14 days if you use this link)

Cheers

Brian
    Hello Brian,

Why recommend starting a web presence with companies based in the USA and charging in US$ at the moment. Its time we all started to support local businesses and not overseas providers that have absolutely no interest in Australia other than our money.

Also a heads up Brian your website has no SSL certificate and so is deemed unsafe. Not very good for digital marketing or SEO purposes.

Good luck

Regards
    John

bb1
    Participant
    • Total posts: 4,485
    John Debrincat, post: 269396, member: 2969 wrote:
    Hello Brian,

Why recommend starting a web presence with companies based in the USA and charging in US$ at the moment. Its time we all started to support local businesses and not overseas providers that have absolutely no interest in Australia other than our money.

Also a heads up Brian your website has no SSL certificate and so is deemed unsafe. Not very good for digital marketing or SEO purposes.

Good luck

Regards
    John

John not sure if you saw the post before the mod edit, but the link had a reference back to flarecom, so I am guessing a commission may have being the reason. why else wouldnt they recommend an Aussie solution.

Wozza
    • Total posts: 16

Thanks for the feedback John Debrincat

And what Godaddy is Australian?
    At least Shopify have a local Australian office in Melbourne employing Australians.

As a Shopify partner the link was to get the extended free trial – nothing against Aussie companies and wasn’t aware someone was trying to spruik their own goods in the thread.

The woman asked for advice which is what I gave – not getting into an online argument here about it.

End of discussion for me.

Paul – FS Concierge
    • Total posts: 3,142

[USER=117204]@Wozza[/USER] provided a link to the worldwide market leader that offered a benefit to the end user (free time on the platform),

The only reason it was deleted by me is that it is against Forum Rules to post affiliate links.

JonJon1212
    • Total posts: 10

Wordpress is the most popular CMS in the world for a reason. It may not be easy to get a grasp of it, but once you do you star to possess a skill that is very in demand in a modern world.

It’s better to learn the basics of CSS, php, java script to do proper websites, when you educate yourself about it WP empowers you more, you have more access to the website with WP, on the contrary to let’s say Wix.

John Debrincat
    • Total posts: 963

Wordpress is the most popular CMS because it is free.

It is also the most hacked CMS, WP accounted for 90% of all hacked sites, https://www.zdnet.com/article/wordpress-accounted-for-90-percent-of-all-hacked-cms-sites-in-2018/

Project failures are close to 70%. This is not always directly because of WP but rather poor requirement definitions or underestimating the effort and cost.

Most un-maintained software. Although it is not difficult to update WP most users just fail to do it which leaves it highly exposed to guess what? Hackers.

If you don’t understand web development and topics like CSS, JavaScript, HTML, PHP, Web servers, data bases and the list goes on, then don’t build your business yourself on WordPress. If you really want WP then pay for a good developer. Otherwise, go and use a hosted solution. Basic question is do you want to run your business or become a WP web developer.

Greg_M
    • Total posts: 1,691

This ^

dessyangelova
    • Total posts: 2

Quickly want to jump here to mention this

Do NOT use Wix!

First, you don’t owe the website. I also have heard it’s really hard to get ownership of the domain name if you decide to move to another platform. Your website is an asset and you don’t want someone else to control your assets.

I would recommend Squarespace if you are not very technical and you don’t want to deal with hosting. WordPress is the best option if you want to be serious about your business and are looking long term.

SClarke26111
    • Total posts: 1

These are the themes that I am liking right now and so far they have worked really well for me. They are quick and simple to use.

1: Local Citation

The Local Citation theme loads as smooth as butter in a web browser and ranks high like a race car in search engines, thanks to the elegant design, fast performance, & SEO + Schema friendly code. It is the perfect companion for your Local Business, Shop or Corporate website.

2: Scribbler

The Scribbler premium WordPress theme has multiple headers and blog layout options. It has the perfect layout for showcasing your exuberant content to the world and comes with tons of options to customize your website as per your requirements.

3: Lifestyle

Lifestyle magazine theme is elegantly designed with three header and post layouts that make it suitable for multiple uses. Unlike other magazine themes, Lifestyle is lightweight, fast loading and with optimal performance. It is ideal for creating a sleek online magazine in different niches. It is highly customizable and well optimized for AdSense and other monetization methods.

Source: Top 5 Converting Website And Blog Themes For 2020

GlenC
    • Total posts: 8

I would echo the same that others have said with regard to WordPress.

WordPress is very good at being “indexable” by Google. You want that because Google needs to see everything on your site to make heads or tails as best it can where it should show up in search results.

And if you’re not going for a web design company to build it for you, it’s entirely possible to help boost your own chances of being seen by using a special plugin called Yoast SEO.

If you get that installed (its really easy, point and click practically) you’ll see it gives you lots of control over things to refine your visibility to Google

On top of that, I’m not sure if you have considered this but WordPress has an excellent built in function that allows you to post blogs (in this case, a blog about your business). This is also important to consider doing because the more content you put in (that users will find extremely helpful and informative) the better your chances Google will favour ranking your site higher up the chain.

Theres also literally thousands upon thousands of pre built themes you can pick from with WordPress, many of them are ‘mobile responsive’.

Mobile responsive is where the website can re-size itself (text size, images, spacing) dynamically to fit on a mobile phone or tablet nicely. THAT is also important because Google is currently favoring what is commonly referred to as ‘mobile-first’ websites. That is to say, websites that can be viewed on mobile phones and tablets, nothing breaks, most or all of the content can be viewed on mobile devices etc. Google aim to encourage giving website visitors a good experience, hence the focus on mobile responsive.

Using WordPress also means if you don’t like the current web host you have, should anything go sour with them 4-6 months down the track, you can literally back up the site and install it at another web host, you’re not going to be locked in or stuck if you use a webhost’s own specific custom web building platform.

All those things can count towards:

1 – Good SEO so people have a better chance of finding you on Google using the right keywords and in turn with luck getting healthy traffic to your site

2 – Retaining website visitors who will want to interact with your site, click on things, scroll down the page, read things, view things, watch video, etc etc – its the bounce rate – the rate at which people interact with your site vs people who visit the site and then leave without interacting in any way at all

3 – The overall experience you can give website visitors if you use a mobile responsive theme for WordPress will make it worthwhile, first impressions are everything, so if you have a decent well-presented site, it plays well into your branding and experience they have with your business overall

I realise you have already picked a solution but thought I would give you a well-presented case for WordPress as I am very familiar with how well it can do for people if used correctly

Oeck
    • Total posts: 8

Hi [USER=117280]@Sparkling[/USER],

If you have no idea about websites I would suggest Shopify. Their websites are decent looking and if you use a relatively design the SEO shouldn’t be so bad. It will also allow you to process payments through it at a later date if you choose to do say.

In my opinion WordPress is rubbish. Stay away from it.

If you are looking for a really simple site, with very basic functionality, you could simply pay someone a couple hundred dollars and get a static page setup and hosted. You don’t need to keep on top of security updates, etc.

Regards,
    Peter @ Oeck.

businesstrade
    Participant
    • Total posts: 210

Squarespace is probably the best DIY website platform for a basic website that you need asap.

WordPress is better if you have the time to learn it as you add much more functionality onto a website.

This is assuming it is just a brochure type website and not Ecommerce.

businesstrade
    Participant
    Sparkling, post: 268911, member: 117280 wrote:
    I think most of my customers will be generated through the Facebook, but I would like to build a simple website, that outlines the services that I provide, maybe also a blog that is attached to it.

WordPress is free to use and cheap to host (if you get crappy hosting from Zuver ~$2-4 p/m). Download a free theme such as Astra, Hello or OceanWP and off you go.

If you are doing this as a side business, it wouldn’t be the worst thing to pick up some basic web design skills.

bb1
    Participant
    • Total posts: 4,485
    BusinessTrade, post: 270173, member: 113709 wrote:
    WordPress is free to use and cheap to host (if you get crappy hosting from Zuver ~$2-4 p/m). Download a free theme such as Astra, Hello or OceanWP and off you go.

If you are doing this as a side business, it wouldn’t be the worst thing to pick up some basic web design skills.

And thats exactly why 70% of business’s fail in the first 5 years, they consider them side gigs, and get recommended crappy options.

Sadly the OP has already started on the wrong foot, they are not serious about the business, and wants everything free or cheap. I have 3 words for it. Fail, Fail, Fail

businesstrade
    Participant
    bb1, post: 270175, member: 53375 wrote:
    And thats exactly why 70% of business’s fail in the first 5 years, they consider them side gigs, and get recommended crappy options.

Sadly the OP has already started on the wrong foot, they are not serious about the business, and wants everything free or cheap. I have 3 words for it. Fail, Fail, Fail

Well the OP is in the business of consulting but appears extremely inexperienced. Generally these types of “consulting” businesses almost always inevitably fail in my experience.

If the OP wants the cheapest possible website, my advice stands. If he wants a good website, then he should pay a half decent web designer to get the job done for him.

In the OP’s case, the website won’t make or break his business. Instead it will be his business model and value provided to potential clients that will be the determining factor.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.