Home – New Forums Starting your journey Do ads make a website look tacky?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    andy00
    • Total posts: 23
    Up
    ::

Hi Guys,

I will be starting up a website this year and the income will be predominantely from ads as i won’t be selling anything.

I know that a quality site with great content is what is going to bring in people. Do you think having ads can cheapen a website?
    There doesn’t seem to be that much money to be made with ads from what i’ve been reading unless you have millions of readers.

I personally almost never look at any ads. I find them very annoying and will go out of my way to avoid them, i will even turn the volume right down so i don’t even hear it if it’s a video ad!
    I have never clicked on an ad either. I was always under the impression that most people find ads highly irritating.

Do you think they are a necessary evil and should we try to be very selective about what ads we have?

Hope this makes sense!

MatthewKeath
    • Total posts: 3,184
    Up

Ad’s don’t necessarily make a website look tacky unless it is really poorly designed or you have the bottom feeding ads like ‘Your are the millionth visitor and you have won!’ or ‘You have one friend request’ types.

Most banner ads on large websites are on cost per impression pricing model, they are looking for brand awareness rather than heaps of click. These are only an option on huge sites like this one.

Trying to make a decent amount money of adsense can be difficult, but it’s not impossible – people have done it before you.

You already know what type of ad’s drive you crazy so don’t use them if you want repeat traffic.

spiceforlife
    • Total posts: 8
    Up

I personally dont like ads on websites. I think they distract the consumer from your site and I also believe that they look tacky. While I’m sure it wouldnt matter f you have a great site with great content, my preference would be to leave the ads out of it.

MatthewKeath
    Up
    spiceforlife, post: 116690 wrote:
    I personally dont like ads on websites. I think they distract the consumer from your site and I also believe that they look tacky. While I’m sure it wouldnt matter f you have a great site with great content, my preference would be to leave the ads out of it.Then how is he going to make money?

There is nothing wrong with ads on websites if done right. Ads on websites, like TV, are enabling some amazing content and services. Facebook, Google, YouTube, Failblog, Digg, The Age website, and Flying Solo (and I could go on and on) would not exsist in their current form without ads.

spiceforlife
    Up
    MatthewKeath, post: 116698 wrote:
    Then how is he going to make money?

There is nothing wrong with ads on websites if done right. Ads on websites, like TV, are enabling some amazing content and services. Facebook, Google, YouTube, Failblog, Digg, The Age website, and Flying Solo (and I could go on and on) would not exsist in their current form without ads.

I guess there’s the rub. The sites that you mentioned are great sites, but you don’t ever find it frustrating when you jump on to YouTube to watch a vid, and have to wait until some garish ad is finished blaring at you? It’s just a personal preference of mine but I completely understand the necessity of them.

james@roadcamel
    Up

I’d steer clear of them if you can avoid them – but as you said, that’s where you think you’ll be generating your income, so it’s a tough one.. Personally, I think it sort of dilutes your message a little and just from a design standpoint, clutters things up.

What’s your business out of curiosity?

bluepenguin
    • Total posts: 1,026
    Up

We all use this site, and it’s got plenty of ads a the top, right and bottom of every page.

It’s like TV… no one likes the ads, but we tolerate them because we don’t have to pay to watch our favourite shows. Same goes for a website, or anything… you’ll tolerate the ads if you’re getting something good in return.

To the OP, if you’re just starting out… I’d leave the ads out until you can build up some decent traffic – until then, they’ll be a waste of space.

andy00
    • Total posts: 23
    Up

Thanks for the replies,

I will definately be leaving ads out of it to start with until there is a decent flow of traffic.

Although this website does have ads, it doesn’t look cheap and nasty as it’s well set out and done in a tasteful manner (in my opinion anyway!). I know we all expect ads but some look better than others on a website.

Can a website choose what ads they will have? Or do you just have to take whatever comes?

Ashman
    • Total posts: 78
    Up

I think that advertisments on a website are good if the website is a dedicated monetisation site. Thats means its sole purpose is to generate revenue from advertisments.

However, I believe if you are selling your own product or service why would you have ads on your site and give the user an opportunity to click away from your own site. The less links you have to other sites will lead to better conversion rates for your own products or services.

MatthewKeath
    Up
    Ashman, post: 116931 wrote:
    However, I believe if you are selling your own product or service why would you have ads on your site and give the user an opportunity to click away from your own site. The less links you have to other sites will lead to better conversion rates for your own products or services.I agree, altought he did mention he is not selling his own products or services.

I was asked to review a site once that sold, say widgets, and they had ads in the prime real estate of their site with a direct link to their competitors! Very very silly.

Stephen Forde
    • Total posts: 53
    Up

I’ve run as few blogs in the past which I have eventually monetised. They key to traffic is to not monetise the site until it is getting decent organic search traffic and return visitors.

There are also other methods of monetising a website these days. With so many businesses looking to reach a wider audience, contacting suppliers within your niche with an opportunity to have their product reviewed and the inclusion of back links to their site is gaining popularity. Of course, you need to ensure your site has traffic and in turn a decent page rank.

There are also a number of browser addons/plugins that stop advertising from appearing on a users browser.

DanielM
    • Total posts: 241
    Up

It really depends on the ads position, website design, user interference and type of ad.

BlackCoffeeComms
    • Total posts: 472
    Up

There’s also the option of developing your own media kit and getting advertisers yourself so you have some choice over them (rather than just accept whatever Google gives you). Also, that way, you get complementary business that align with your ethics etc.

Cheers

Nicole

marnieb
    • Total posts: 159
    Up
    andy00, post: 116648 wrote:
    Hi Guys,

I will be starting up a website this year and the income will be predominantely from ads as i won’t be selling anything.

I know that a quality site with great content is what is going to bring in people. Do you think having ads can cheapen a website?
    There doesn’t seem to be that much money to be made with ads from what i’ve been reading unless you have millions of readers.

I personally almost never look at any ads. I find them very annoying and will go out of my way to avoid them, i will even turn the volume right down so i don’t even hear it if it’s a video ad!
    I have never clicked on an ad either. I was always under the impression that most people find ads highly irritating.

Do you think they are a necessary evil and should we try to be very selective about what ads we have?

Hope this makes sense!

Hi Andy,

It really depends on the type of site. If for example you’re launching a site that gives people information about your business, then I do think it’s tacky and inappropriate. I think this probably isn’t the case though as you said you’re not trying to sell anything.

Can I ask what the website is? A directory or blog or similar can certainly work with ads, as long as they’re well designed and not intrusive.

Dane Pymble
    • Total posts: 227
    Up

Just to give you a real life example of the revenue you can expect from Adsense so you can have some realistic targets. For my small business website started a year ago, I have written, or have had guest posters contribute about 40 odd articles so far. Almost all the articles are keyword focused around the starting a small business niche.

I have earnt about $120 from Google ads at about a conversion rate of 2.25% (US traffic is multiples higher in their “clickiness” of ads. Almost all my Adsense revenue has come from US search despite it being primarily targeted at Australian Small Businesses). I have separately earnt a few hundred dollars (less than $1K) from advertisers who have approached me.

I have also made breadcrumbs from affiliate product sales.

This is not a business in my eyes (yet), it is a website I run in my spare time that will in time become a business and I make no claims to the contrary. In the future I plan to roll out a range of in-house info-products as well as partnering with a range of firms that provide services to small business owners.

Why do I say all this? I just wanted to give you an idea of what you may expect in the early stages of your site’s development. At first it will seem like you are talking to yourself but persevere. On the same token don’t expect for your site to be your primary source of income for some time (who knows you may strike it rich early on but I am only sharing you my experience so far).

Hope that helps:)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.