Home – New Forums Marketing mastery Do free websites deter customers?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    N45H
    • Total posts: 30
    Up
    ::

Hey guys,
    I started my small, part-time business over a year ago and at the time I designed my own website using a free template at wix.com. The free version means my url looks like this: http://.wix/ and small “Wix” logos appear in relatively inconspicuous areas arond the website.
    Since that time I haven’t bothered to upgrade to a paid version as I’d put the business on the back burner while focusing on uni.

The website is indexed by Google and appears on the first page on some searches. I’ve had a couple of new clients call up but I’m just wondering whether the shonky factor of having a free website with a dodgy URL deters customers?

I’m now at a stage where I want to start growing the business again, would upgrading my wix account so I can have my own URL be a priority?

Thanks.

Little Birdie Marketing
    • Total posts: 32
    Up

Depends on two things:

1. I think it really depends on who you are selling to
    2. How ‘free’ your site actually looks – I have seen some great sites that have been created by the likes of big cartel, wix, shopify etc etc that look fantastic and I wouldn’t hesitate to purchase from then. Then I have seen homegrown websites that look ‘dodgy’ that I would feel uncomfortable purchasing from.

Would love to take a look at your website! Could you PM me the address?

Peter – FS Administrator
    • Total posts: 1,889
    Up

Hi there,
    Yes, Kellie makes some good points.
    Personally I think if you’re committed to building a long-term business then it’s worth investing in setting up your own domain name and email address sooner rather than later.
    Some prospects won’t be too fussed either way, but others might see it as a reason to question their purchase (even if subconsciously) – it’s usually pretty quick and low cost to set up.
    All the best with the business!
    Peter

Jenny Spring
    • Total posts: 597
    Up
    N45H, post: 194549 wrote:
    Hey guys,
    I started my small, part-time business over a year ago and at the time I designed my own website using a free template at wix.com. The free version means my url looks like this: http://.wix/ and small “Wix” logos appear in relatively inconspicuous areas arond the website.
    Since that time I haven’t bothered to upgrade to a paid version as I’d put the business on the back burner while focusing on uni.

The website is indexed by Google and appears on the first page on some searches. I’ve had a couple of new clients call up but I’m just wondering whether the shonky factor of having a free website with a dodgy URL deters customers?

I’m now at a stage where I want to start growing the business again, would upgrading my wix account so I can have my own URL be a priority?

Thanks.

The sooner you can establish your website/your own URL/ the better. Don’t make it too complicated, keep it simple. You only need a Home Page, an email capture box, and a About Us page to get you started.

Jenny

help4bis.com
    • Total posts: 268
    Up

YES.

Well ok maybe…. :-).

Customers get more put off by the email address I think. For example [email protected], or xyz@yahoo etc etc. All very valid email addresses,but I always look twice and do my research before handing over my details to someone with a “free” email address.

Same might apply to others, re free websites… well they are not free really. You are committed to having their logo’s and advertising on your site, and it shows.

For me, when I see that, you are either very new… or you are a one-night stand, either way I will again do some research into you. But that is me.

Most customers/leads might just want to click and buy, but those who are critical will most likely move on to another site that is not advertising free websites.

Little Birdie Marketing
    Up

I have just spent a whole year running my business from a ‘free’ website. I set it up myself (low and behold).

I only ran traffic to if from Facebook though. I didn’t brand it as an online shop but as an online ordering system (yep – it made a difference to my online community)… I have just sold this business.

It can be done, but just depends how.

help4bis.com
    Up
    MsMarketing, post: 194572 wrote:
    I have just spent a whole year running my business from a ‘free’ website. I set it up myself (low and behold).

I only ran traffic to if from Facebook though. I didn’t brand it as an online shop but as an online ordering system (yep – it made a difference to my online community)… I have just sold this business.

It can be done, but just depends how.

Sure it can be done, but running a whole year is not long, like mentioned, you either new or a one night stand.

New –> a whole year.
    One night stand –> I have just sold this business

If you in it for the long term, get a domain name, host, etc does not need to be expensive. If it was only to get your emails to [email protected]

Little Birdie Marketing
    Up
    help4bis.com, post: 194574 wrote:
    Sure it can be done, but running a whole year is not long, like mentioned, you either new or a one night stand.

New –> a whole year.
    One night stand –> I have just sold this business

If you in it for the long term, get a domain name, host, etc does not need to be expensive. If it was only to get your emails to [email protected]

So I am a new one night stand? I thought you could only be either as you mentioned.

ALL I am saying is that it depends! Depends on the needs and what you are trying to achieve.

help4bis.com
    Up
    MsMarketing, post: 194577 wrote:
    So I am a new one night stand? I thought you could only be either as you mentioned.

ALL I am saying is that it depends! Depends on the needs and what you are trying to achieve.

Don’t believe I said that, but if you read that into it than my sincere apologies.

It merely points out that “free” websites are easier associated with very young companies or those who are in it for a quick buck and then get out.

A one night stand can be a new, from my view a domain/website younger than a year is generally new. If they disappear within a year I see them as a one night stand, eg not around long enough for what ever reason. This is often easier done with a free website then a non free website.

Anon free website is an ongoing commitment, and the investment only gets greater as time passes.

Little Birdie Marketing
    Up

I am leaving this one alone…..just saying.

N45H
    • Total posts: 30
    Up

Thanks for the feedback guys, I’m happy to share my website here, just wasn’t sure about the etiquette around that, here: http://robnash.wix.com/vitruvianmyotherapy

As you can see, it’s not an ecommerce website, I work from a bricks & mortar clinic.

help4bis.com
    Up

I have no prob with it, but the admin told me at some point to use the signature for contacts and webpages.

Unless you want to be found online I would not worry too much in your case, I guess most of your “customers’ come from a certain radius of your shop.

Tiggerito
    • Total posts: 362
    Up

A down side of these free websites are that they are on their domain not yours.

All your work is in promoting their domain. If you move on you can’t take it with you, it will just disappear!

Upgrading to get your own domain may be ok. A good provider will set up redirects so people and search engines will find it from your free version. But this means you’re tied into their system if you don’t want to lose the value of all you work.

I suggest buying your own domain ASAP and making sure you own it. Then you will be building your own place. You can use it with wix if you want and you will be able to leave wix and take the domain with you later on if you need to.

niknah
    • Total posts: 20
    Up

For about $12 per year you can get your own ____.com domain and run a “framed” website. When people visit the website, your wix.com website will appear inside a “frame”. So the address will look like your ____.com address but the content will look like your wix website.

But the downside to this is that the ____.com address will probably not appear on the google search results, only the wix.com address will.

I know that you get get a framed site for free if you get a domain from http://www.namecheap.com, not sure about other places.

The website looks nice professional, I wouldn’t think it was shonky.

Tiggerito
    • Total posts: 362
    Up
    niknah, post: 194596 wrote:
    For about $12 per year you can get your own ____.com domain and run a “framed” website. When people visit the website, your wix.com website will appear inside a “frame”. So the address will look like your ____.com address but the content will look like your wix website.

But the downside to this is that the ____.com address will probably not appear on the google search results, only the wix.com address will.

I know that you get get a framed site for free if you get a domain from http://www.namecheap.com, not sure about other places.

The website looks nice professional, I wouldn’t think it was shonky.

SEO wise this is a waste of time and causes technical issues. If you buy a domain then directly use it. Register it with wix or set up your own website for the domain.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.