Home – New Forums Starting your journey Do I need an ABN to register a business name?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up
    ::

Hi,
    I’m from Victoria and currently have a a very very very small eBay business.
    I did $800 sales in 2 weeks and would like to get a business name so I can get logos and a .com.au website created so that no one else can steal my business name.

Can I do this without getting an ABN?

Thanks.

Past-Member
    • Total posts: 1,815
    Up

You must have an ABN to operate a business. It is free and is attached to you if you are a sole trader. http://www.asic.gov.au/asic/asic.nsf/byHeadline/Registering%20a%20business%20name

You can only purchase a .com.au domain name with an ABN as that is the Australian business domain. You may purchase other domain extensions without an ABN, but to operate a business you will need an ABN anyway.

All the best.

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up

Ah okay, thank you.
    Can I trademark my business name without an ABN?

Healthy Personal Finances
    • Total posts: 194
    Up

If you are running a business – you need an ABN. Regardless of any other fact, if you consdier yourself to be running a business, get an ABN immediately.
    Without a valid ABN, suppliers are entitled to withhold 46.5% from any invoices you give them, meaning half your income will go straight to the tax man.

Cheers
    Stacey

Kennethti
    • Total posts: 415
    Up
    kg, post: 172409 wrote:
    Ah okay, thank you.
    Can I trademark my business name without an ABN?

You probably can but really you should be getting an ABN anyway

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.